Author Topic: What Are You Playing?  (Read 377415 times)

Offline nightmare.

Re: What Are You Playing?
« Reply #2700 on: February 13, 2018, 06:44:58 PM »
Currently playing through Fable 3 for the first time, and modded Fallout 3.

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #2701 on: February 15, 2018, 05:34:08 PM »
Sure, and you could see Id has spawned other landmark evolutions of the FPS genre, like Quake.

That's a good point, as Quake was basically given the mantle to continue the line of Id FPSs, much like Doom was the successor to Wolfenstein, so the Doom line went dormant for a while before it's infamous return. Semi-retiring it had the desired effect of keeping the it special, maintaining its legendary status and not having to constantly live up to it (and we saw how all this can be turned on you with Doom 3), with the undesired tradeoff of it eventually becoming irreverent to the cutting edge of the genre until recently.

But they've also failed a few times, which is why to be honest I was surprised that Doom 2016 was as good as it was. It could have very well been another dud. Whereas with the Zelda series, the duds are rare and usually unexpected.

Yeah, after a few objective and relative failures, it's what you come to expect, especially when the bar to reach is DOOM! In that regard, Doom 2016 completely rewarded one's love of the genre and series, even if it wasn't revolutionary, it just felt "right" (actually, what was evolutionary about it was the way it translated and mixed old gameplay concepts in a modern way).

Anyway, I think I might be stepping back from Diablo Souls, aka Nioh, for a bit because I've reached a point in the DLC where every enemy can just 1 or 2 hit kill me and the item upgrades aren't accordingly rewarding, which is kind of what kept me coming back (IDK, maybe I screwed my guy up when I respec'd). If I can't enjoy it like Souls or Diablo, then I don't really need to play further, but we'll see. A week ago I was loving it, totally addicted, and having to seriously consider it against the other Souls games (I'll definitely take it over DS2! =).

And hey, a bit off topic, but here's one PS4 exclusive I don't need to worry about playing!

https://kotaku.com/the-secret-of-mana-remake-makes-a-great-game-worse-1823035593

Bummer, but also thank God.

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #2702 on: February 15, 2018, 05:44:06 PM »
And hey, a bit off topic, but here's one PS4 exclusive I don't need to worry about playing!

https://kotaku.com/the-secret-of-mana-remake-makes-a-great-game-worse-1823035593

Oh god the music!  :ganishka: I never had any expectation this was going to be a competent remake.
:femto: :slan: :ubik:

Offline Rhombaad

• Old Fart in Training
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #2703 on: February 19, 2018, 03:57:21 AM »
I finished Super Metroid on Friday. It might be one of the best games I've ever played, right up there with The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

Right now, I'm making my way through System Shock, which is great so far. I'd never even heard of it until I saw its sequel on IGN's Top 100 Games of All Time list.