The Beast

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
What, you mean the mass of day-spirits that takes control of Guts? Hmmm... I don't remember it ever acting when Puck was on hand. I think it is covered in the character section of the FAQ.
I think Guts should train it and make it his pet dog. ;D

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Majin Tenshi said:
What, you mean the mass of day-spirits that takes control of Guts? Hmmm... I don't remember it ever acting when Puck was on hand. I think it is covered in the character section of the FAQ.
I think Guts should train it and make it his pet dog. ;D

What i want to know is, Where did it come from or when did it show up, how long has it been with Guts, and if it can fit in most over head compartments.

- Bob

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Well... lets see. It came from the same place all the other ghosts came from.
I think the FAQ would say when it showed up, I can't remember and I'm re-collecting my scanzlations so I can't look it up in there.
Since it is a mass of spirits, I would assume it can change its volume and shape. So it would fit in most any overhead compartment.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
A few things you need to know about the beast:

1) Looks to be modeled (if subconsciously) after Gambino's dogs (see vol 4), whom he cared about more than Guts.

2) You could say that the Beast has always been with Guts, well at least ever since Gambino's death. Every instance where he loses himself in rage, the same feelings that fuel the beast now were fueling Guts then.

3) First manifests itself through ghosts (mid. vol 16) as a medium when theyre surrounding Guts and leeching off his thoughts. The Beast is just being formed by the ghosts, it is not yet (in my opinion) acting on its own.

4) First shows itself (if only metaphorically) in volume 17. Here it is a fully developed HUGE Beast. But it is here that Guts abandons the thoughts that fueled the Beast then, by forsaking revenge and seeking Casca. It, of course, comes back.

5) Chapter 189-190 are the real I AM THE BEAST chapters, as Guts/Beast rapes Casca/bites her boob. In chapter 197 (or is it 198?) We see the it tagging along behind Guts and crew as they get closer to Flora's treehouse.

6) Schierke notices something odd about the Dragonslayer in chapter 203. And i chapter 208, she says "The shadows cling to the sword". It is my opinion (well, I stole the idea from a friend, really) that the Beast is attached to (if not, at least has a strong affinity with) the Dragon Slayer. If concentrated evil (shadows) are drawn to the Sword, and Guts has been using it as his deus ex against supernatural forces, it would make sense for the Beast to be strengthened by the Dragon Slayer. Admittedly, the source of the Beast is Guts mind. The DS is simply the fulcrum.
a) A good piece of imagery that mirrors this theory is page 01 of chapter 189.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom