Author Topic: Skull Knight's missing spike  (Read 5440 times)

Offline IncantatioN

• Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
Skull Knight's missing spike
« on: August 24, 2010, 01:54:16 PM »
I spotted something a while ago, and on a random re-read, I saw that he was missing the front left big horn (Volume 26, page 67 when he appears before Slan and Guts), and it looks like it was cut/ broken/ damaged in battle. Later on, we see it's fixed or regenerated to the original form. What're your theories on who he may have fought for that to have happened? I don't know if there was a reference for it. Also, notice how the art in the beginning showed his lower big thorns a lot shorter than they currently appear. Does that mean his suit is somewhat evolving or is it a simple way to show he's older or is it just the art that's improved?
At the end of time, a moment will come when just one man remains. Then the moment will pass. Man will be gone. There will be nothing to show that we were ever here... but stardust.

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
Re: Skull Knight's missing spike
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 02:49:41 PM »
I spotted something a while ago, and on a random re-read, I saw that he was missing the front left big horn (Volume 26, page 67 when he appears before Slan and Guts), and it looks like it was cut/ broken/ damaged in battle. Later on, we see it's fixed or regenerated to the original form. What're your theories on who he may have fought for that to have happened? I don't know if there was a reference for it. Also, notice how the art in the beginning showed his lower big thorns a lot shorter than they currently appear. Does that mean his suit is somewhat evolving or is it a simple way to show he's older or is it just the art that's improved?
In vol 26, he actually throws that spike at Slan's wing, which is what announces his presence. By the time we see him in vol 28, another spike is there. I don't think that necessarily means the armor regenerates organically, because there are other, less fantastic explanations for fixing superficial damage like that.

Seeing as the guy is 1,000+ years old, I'm sure he has some way of crafting/fixing armor. His shield takes damage from time to time (see vol 13, 27), but it's always fixed the next time we see him. No big deal for a guy with a millennia of experience living in an armor.
:femto: :slan: :ubik:

Offline IncantatioN

• Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
You're right! I just saw the prior page a bit properly, and notice that definitely is the horn he throws at her. Cool beans Walter.

It got me thinking about his horse. We see the horse wear armor of perhaps similar significance in terms of power which allows it to fly. Now, like SK's suit which sort of ate him up/ his skin (shoot, I can't recall all those conversations in the manga about these suits and their side effects), would it also apply to the horse? If it does, do you think he changes horses every set of years? From the looks of it, I couldn't tell if he ever used a different horse. What do you guys think?
At the end of time, a moment will come when just one man remains. Then the moment will pass. Man will be gone. There will be nothing to show that we were ever here... but stardust.

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 03:27:16 PM »
It got me thinking about his horse. We see the horse wear armor of perhaps similar significance in terms of power which allows it to fly. ... If it does, do you think he changes horses every set of years? From the looks of it, I couldn't tell if he ever used a different horse. What do you guys think?
Look closely at his horse, particularly its eyes. It's not just an average beast. The thing looks undead, or something. I really don't think he needs to replace it with a spare. It looks pretty hardy to me. It's probably some awesome, legendary horse  :SK:

Now, like SK's suit which sort of ate him up/ his skin (shoot, I can't recall all those conversations in the manga about these suits and their side effects), would it also apply to the horse?
That's a misconception of the effects on the user of the Berserk Armor. The armor doesn't gobble up the user, but pushes them to their physical limits by entrancing them with its Od. If any bones are broken in combat, the armor forcibly repairs them by jabbing spikes into the bones. The loss of blood is what looks like killed the former user (likely Gaiseric). You can actually see a spray of blood in that panel.

But in short, no, I don't think the horse is also wearing Berserk Armor.
:femto: :slan: :ubik:

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 06:40:07 PM »
Also, notice how the art in the beginning showed his lower big thorns a lot shorter than they currently appear. Does that mean his suit is somewhat evolving or is it a simple way to show he's older or is it just the art that's improved?

Those are just variations in the artwork. Guts' face also looks different now from the way it did at the time.

In vol 26, he actually throws that spike at Slan's wing, which is what announces his presence. By the time we see him in vol 28, another spike is there. I don't think that necessarily means the armor regenerates organically, because there are other, less fantastic explanations for fixing superficial damage like that.

That being said the Berserk's armor does repair itself magically (see the damage done by the Makara in episode 270 for example), so I think it's possible for the Skull Knight's own magical armor to be able to do it as well.

We see the horse wear armor of perhaps similar significance in terms of power which allows it to fly.

We don't know why the Skull Knight's horse is able to do all that it does.

Now, like SK's suit which sort of ate him up/ his skin (shoot, I can't recall all those conversations in the manga about these suits and their side effects), would it also apply to the horse?

Well you should re-read them. Like Walter said we know that the Skull Knight once wore the Berserk's armor Guts is currently using. According to Schierke its previous owner fought to the death because of it, but that's all we're told. There's no eating of anything involved here. The theme of the Skull Knight's armor's is just based on, well, a skull and the accompanying skeleton, like how the Berserk's armor's theme while worn by Guts is based on the Beast of Darkness.

do you think he changes horses every set of years?

Nope.

Offline Truder

• Of the Nexus
  • "I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 03:07:30 AM »
i think when the skull knight first appears (his very first appearance) he is missing a horn or two, and in the next page he has all of them. but i just figured Miura messed up.

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 09:28:56 AM »
i think when the skull knight first appears (his very first appearance) he is missing a horn or two, and in the next page he has all of them. but i just figured Miura messed up.

No, you're mistaken, the number of spikes is consistent from one page to another when he first appears (in episode 37).

Offline Truder

• Of the Nexus
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 01:08:06 PM »
No, you're mistaken, the number of spikes is consistent from one page to another when he first appears (in episode 37).

i was mistaken about the order of his appearance then. its on volume 9 (episode 53?) for the rest of the episode he had the right amount 

here he has 7 spikes instead of the usual 9
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 01:18:24 PM by Truder »

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 01:26:27 PM »
i was mistaken about the order of his appearance then. its on volume 9 (episode 53?)

No, that's episode 37.

here he has 7 spikes instead of the usual 9

Oh, you mean the spikes on his helmet. Ok, my bad then, since we were talking about those on his neck guard I thought you were referring to them as well. You should have specified!

Offline Truder

• Of the Nexus
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 01:46:39 PM »
Woopsie daisy, I thought all of you were talking about the spikes on his head. :schnoz:

I'm just tired is all. :troll: