Author Topic: Berserk manga sales summary  (Read 9467 times)

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
Berserk manga sales summary
« on: August 30, 2010, 09:56:38 PM »
Not that this is anything new but I figured it might interest some people. It's all based on the announcements in Young Animal.

Announcement date            Volumes released                Amount sold in Japan                Amount sold internationally
March 29, 199916 volumes available10 million volumes sold
February 11, 200527 volumes available20 million volumes sold
January 13, 200629 volumes available21 million volumes sold
April 28, 200630 volumes available21.5 million volumes sold
June 08, 200630 volumes available21.5 million volumes sold4 million volumes sold
March 28, 200832 volumes available23 million volumes sold4 million volumes sold
June 25, 201034 volumes available24 million volumes sold7 million volumes sold
March 28, 201336 volumes available25 million volumes sold8.5 million volumes sold
July 24, 201537 volumes available27 million volumes sold8 million volumes sold

Offline Dar Klink

• Falconian
  • Of the Vortex
  • Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Re: Berserk manga sales summary
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 11:38:23 PM »
Awesome! Thanks Aaz! One of these days we'll beat One Piece! :troll:

Offline Johnstantine

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 02:51:49 AM »
And on that day, aaz will be wrong about something related to berserk.

Offline Slime_Beherit

• スライム狂戦士
  • Falconian
  • Of the Interstice
  • [FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 03:29:10 AM »
I'd say if Berserk ever managed to do that, then Berserk took a turn for the worst. :judo:

Offline Turkitage

• Of the Nexus
  • ターク
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 03:50:53 AM »
Thanks for this. Glad to see those numbers.
"I'm oversensitive about bad jokes." - Griffith." -Turk <3

Offline Jaze1618

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 04:29:12 PM »
Hey Aaz, maybe you can clarify here?

When I read those numbers I think 7 million internationally seems pretty low. So I have to wonder, are these just the numbers for the Japanese volumes, or are we to assume 7 million is the sum total of all international editions sold by Darkhorse, Pannini, etc?

T H A N K S !!

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 04:47:20 PM »
Hey Aaz, maybe you can clarify here?

When I read those numbers I think 7 million internationally seems pretty low. So I have to wonder, are these just the numbers for the Japanese volumes, or are we to assume 7 million is the sum total of all international editions sold by Darkhorse, Pannini, etc?

It includes every foreign edition as far as I know: Korean, Chinese, Italian, French, German, Spanish, Brazilian, US and so on. And while it may seem low to you, I think it's actually pretty good comparatively.

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 05:01:03 PM »
Excellent info to have, and it shows just how big an audience Miura has gathered over the years. I do wish we could see how it was broken down within each country, because I know Dark Horse sells a lot of copies here in the US.

Speaking of which, Dark Horse's website gives some indirect statistics about sales. By volume 10, they were reporting "The first seven volumes of Berserk have sold over 125,000 copies!" And by volume 14, "Over 100,000 books sold in this series in one year alone!" (Which year? Who knows!) And by Volume 31, there's a definitive number: "Over half a million copies sold!" So that's some extra info to take into account.

Also, I made a quick chart based on Aaz' data here, showing how the series has grown over the years. It's attached.
:femto: :slan: :ubik:

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 05:47:31 PM »
Speaking of which, Dark Horse's website gives some indirect statistics about sales. By volume 10, they were reporting "The first seven volumes of Berserk have sold over 125,000 copies!" And by volume 14, "Over 100,000 books sold in this series in one year alone!" (Which year? Who knows!) And by Volume 31, there's a definitive number: "Over half a million copies sold!" So that's some extra info to take into account.

Yeah that's definitely a good addition. Every member is invited to report similar announcements for any country as long as they're from a reliable (and direct) source. I'll edit the first post accordingly if we get enough information.

On a side note, I wonder what the biggest non-Japanese market is... I don't think it's the USA, but there's quite a few possibilities. Maybe I'll ask Young Animal (and not get a response). :void:

Offline BerserkMJM

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 07:14:31 PM »
I'd say if Berserk ever managed to do that, then Berserk took a turn for the worst. :judo:
Or the masses took a turn for the better?

Xem

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 02:51:32 AM »
On a side note, I wonder what the biggest non-Japanese market is... I don't think it's the USA, but there's quite a few possibilities.

My guess would be Italy, but I could easily be wrong.

Offline Gobolatula

• Smooth operator
  • Falconian
  • Of the Vortex
  • praise be to grail!
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 06:22:46 AM »
Korea, maybe, considering they got some nifty extras in volume 34. I could be wrong, but did they get a personal message from Miura?

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 09:03:02 AM »
Korea, maybe, considering they got some nifty extras in volume 34. I could be wrong, but did they get a personal message from Miura?

Sort of, see this post: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=10795.msg180538#msg180538

As for what market is the biggest, Italy and Korea are strong possibilities, but without hard data it's pointless to guess. I'll inquire Hakusensha about it through their contact form, but I doubt they'll reply anything useful.

Offline Dembol

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 02:38:56 PM »
Do you happen to know anything about individual volume sales?
The oricon charts only allow me to check 2 volumes back (unless I'm missing some key button which is possible with my limited Japanese) and they seem fairly stable, just under 300'000 units (after 3 weeks, before they fell off the bestseller ranking).

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 02:53:11 PM »
I don't think I ever wrote the numbers down unfortunately.

EDIT: I checked and didn't have anything useful, sorry.