Hill of Swords Audio Score

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
After telling Aaz years and years I wanted to make some kind of score related to Berserk. I guess I finally did it. This track is nothing innovative, and it's as predictable as a Stallone flick. But I think it fits the profile. Keep in mind that this is my first finished composition. And my single processor computer has a thing for screwing up the rendering. Anywho, I really hope you guys enjoy this. Nice and short.

I really like it, i think it fits well with our Manga. Excellent work, have you ever considered doing something more intense like music for a Guts vs Zodd fight i would really like to see the outcome. Keep up with the good work.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Thank you all for the kind feedback.

Rus said:
I really like it, i think it fits well with our Manga. Excellent work, have you ever considered doing something more intense like music for a Guts vs Zodd fight i would really like to see the outcome. Keep up with the good work.
To tell you the truth, I have already started on another track. The problem with Berserk is that it's VERY hard to stream off from Hirasawa. Frankly, I'd like to give both Zodd and Skullknight their own little theme... But we'll see.

Nomad said:
To tell you the truth, I have already started on another track. The problem with Berserk is that it's VERY hard to stream off from Hirasawa. Frankly, I'd like to give both Zodd and Skullknight their own little theme... But we'll see.

Hey maybe we got ourselves the Berserk:Recut OST :ubik:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nomad said:
After telling Aaz years and years I wanted to make some kind of score related to Berserk. I guess I finally did it. This track is nothing innovative, and it's as predictable as a Stallone flick. But I think it fits the profile.

Was worth the wait man. You ought to make more. :guts:

I'm listening to it now, so I'll be adding things I notice as I go.

I'm not sure I like the way you have it echo at the beginning after each phrase. At least not as much as it is right now. The dynamics are also a bit funky at the beginning. It's strange to hear an accent at the end of a phrase. Especially at the beginning of a song.
I really like it when that acoustic ..what is that lute? comes in. It really starts to take off after that. To the point were all I can really say is that I'm loving it, epic yet calming. Majestic, is probably the best word. I wanna reinstall Oblivion after listening to this, and throw this song as the no.1 track for exploration/town.

The only final thing that stood out to me as perhaps unnecessary is the rain sfx at the very end. It works in some Zelda remixes for song of storms/Windmill theme. But in a track like this, I think it's out of place. It comes out of nowhere and only at the end. I'm curious why you used the sfx there?

Very good work overall, Nomad. :guts: Do you work in a music related field professionally?

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Ramen4ever said:
I'm listening to it now, so I'll be adding things I notice as I go.

I'm not sure I like the way you have it echo at the beginning after each phrase. At least not as much as it is right now. The dynamics are also a bit funky at the beginning. It's strange to hear an accent at the end of a phrase. Especially at the beginning of a song.

The echo was both intentional and NOT intentional. I only have one music software, and that's Garage Band. It's a dinky version of its kind. So the sound bank is limited, and so are the channels. Therefore I filter the sounds (violin for example) and tweek it to have a sort of "distant" sound to it. Giving it a more realistic feel rather than a midi-like. That said, it did seem right given that Hirasawa is notorious for his reverbs... I guess it just gave it the Berserk feel.

I'm glad you like it, and I welcome any critisism to it. The rain FX I added wanted to give it the "exterior" feel to it. However, I admit I just added it and didn't give special attention. It would have a better result if I handled the volume level. I don't do this professionally, I'd love to... But I don't even read music lol. I play by ear alone. But hey... Who knows?!

Nomad said:
I play by ear alone.

I like it a lot. My favorite part comes in at 2:31. Considering you did this on garage band I say that this is great. I hate garage band, I never was good with it. I play by ear as well, especially when it comes to the piano. It definitely helps. :iva: I enjoyed listening to it while looking at the latest episode. Thanks Nomad. :casca:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nomad said:
I'm glad you like it, and I welcome any critisism to it. The rain FX I added wanted to give it the "exterior" feel to it.

I have nothing against the raining sound myself, but allow me to point out that it couldn't possible rain on the Hill of Swords. Check the picture you posted to find out why. :slan:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Great work Nomad, fits multiple scenes and moods from the hill of swords, and you could have told me this was off the official PS2 soundtrack and I would have believed it. Besides that, I just like it.

MOAR! :beast:

Rus said:
Hey maybe we got ourselves the Berserk:Recut OST :ubik:

Don't think I didn't immediately consider it. :ganishka:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Aazealh said:
but allow me to point out that it couldn't possible rain on the Hill of Swords. Check the picture you posted to find out why. :slan:
You hear that Aaz? That's the sound of the illusion being shattered by technicality... Who knows! Perhaps El Niño made its presence to Midland? :troll:

Griffith said:
Great work Nomad, fits multiple scenes and moods from the hill of swords, and you could have told me this was off the official PS2 soundtrack and I would have believed it. Besides that, I just like it.

MOAR! :beast:

Don't think I didn't immediately consider it. :ganishka:

Thanks dude. And by all means use it if you see fit! I'd be honored.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I should have replied earlier about this but ... to draw from a conversation me and Aaz had back in November:

Walter: "Hill_Of_Swords.mp3 = my main ringtone."

'Nuff said.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Walter said:
I should have replied earlier about this but ... to draw from a conversation me and Aaz had back in November:

Walter: "Hill_Of_Swords.mp3 = my main ringtone."

'Nuff said.
:casca:. I'm gathering info and perspectives for the next project. Mind if I include you in the great circle of... Stuff?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Re: Hill of Swords Video Score

Put this together last night inspired by your excellent score, Nomad:

[flash=480,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/WWH_DjrmqfQ[/flash]​

I tried to really showcase it as a score in the first half, while the second half is more like a regular music video. Since there's no footage of the hill of swords, I wanted to tell a coherent story that focused on the themes and allusions relevant to it: death, departure, downfall, snow, and of course the Hawks. This scene was basically tailor made for all that. Guts even recalls it after his encounter with Griffith on the Hill of Swords, directly comparing the two. Anyway, it's my first attempt at something like this, I hope you like it, and thanks again, Nomad!

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
That was way too cool for it's own good. Great work on the editing, Griffith. Is there a reason you didn't show their swords clash?

At first I thought it was kind of weird that you omitted it, because it's kind of the climax. Unless I'm remembering wrong, there's footage of the sword actually breaking. You just showed it falling into the snow after some reaction shots. But upon re-watching it it kind of works. I like how seamless it was. You still have enough information on screen to know his sword broke. (someone who has no knowledge of the scene might react differently)

Just curious your thought process.

Great video, really captured the mood of the song; I'm particularly fond of the first half, with just the snow falling on the beautiful scenery. So moody. Nice touch with the rain in the end too, it fits perfectly. Nomad should really make more songs... :ubik:

Aphasia said:
But upon re-watching it it kind of works.

I think it more than just "kind of" works.

Griffith did a very good job with the music video. Even on first viewing, the timing and scene selections are evident. They match up. I especially like the sunrise. Personally I think the video works better like this, without showing the sword swing and break. After all, sometimes showing less says more. Emphasis isn't on how he broke his sword, but how Guts broke Griffith by leaving.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
1. What a beautiful piece of music, Nomad. I can't wait to hear your next Berserk composition.

2. The scenes you picked for your video fit the music perfectly, Griffith. The first half with the snow falling was incredible.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Ramen4ever said:
I think it more than just "kind of" works.

Griffith did a very good job with the music video. Even on first viewing, the timing and scene selections are evident. They match up. I especially like the sunrise. Personally I think the video works better like this, without showing the sword swing and break. After all, sometimes showing less says more. Emphasis isn't on how he broke his sword, but how Guts broke Griffith by leaving.

I would say so. I always enjoy Berserk AMV's that focus on the relationships more than "Insert rock music and endless clips of Guts slaying demons" This is just such a departure from the norm. Subtlety can speak volumes. Well said. The first half of the video leads into the second half perfectly, IMO. The scenes of the snow falling are beautiful.

Would love to see more collaborations of this nature in the future.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Re: Hill of Swords Video Score

Griffith said:
Put this together last night inspired by your excellent score, Nomad:

http://www.youtube.com/v/WWH_DjrmqfQ[/flash][/center]

I tried to really showcase it as a score in the first half, while the second half is more like a regular music video. Since there's no footage of the hill of swords, I wanted to tell a coherent story that focused on the themes and allusions relevant to it: death, departure, downfall, snow, and of course the Hawks. This scene was basically tailor made for all that. Guts even recalls it after his encounter with Griffith on the Hill of Swords, directly comparing the two. Anyway, it's my first attempt at something like this, I hope you like it, and thanks again, Nomad!

:isidro: Wow... Grifith, I'm seriously speechless. No greater gift than this, and safe to say you made my Bday....I mean it. I wouldn't even thought of any of this, you my friend have used every session flawlessly. Loved the coherent storytelling factor you used. I can't see it being done any better. Thank you, thank you... THANK you.

And thak you all for the compliments. I'm already setting up project number 2. Though I admit, this one will be more single themed dedicated rather than Hill of Swords is more open. Oooh and Griff, AIM me if you want to set out future projects. I see potential baby! :badbone:

Top Bottom