Anyone know much about ripping PS2 games (no, this is not a piracy question)

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
I wanna extract the cinimatics from FFX. I don't feel like finishing the game, but I wanna watch the rest of the movies. Anyway, I think there is some sort of protection scheme or something, because only 4mb of the 4GB actually on the disc show up in windows. Of these files, none are PSS (video files). I don't believe any of the audio files appear either.

I figured someone who knows a lot about PS2 ripping might know how to get at the movies. Thanks.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
This is a great testament to the new era of Final Fantasy; where the FMV's are more incentive to play the game, and not even enough it seems, than the game itself. I hope the next one actually lives up to the series' name. Literally.

-Griffith

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Griffith said:
This is a great testament to the new era of Final Fantasy; where the FMV's are more incentive to play the game, and not even enough it seems, than the game itself. I hope the next one actually lives up to the series' name. Literally.

-Griffith

Well, lets face it, the gameplay is almost identical to the way it was what, almost 20 years ago? Yet it's somehow twice as complicated as it was back then. Who really wants to play something that stale?

If that doesn't say enough about Square's inability to innovate, consider this: FFX was THE most sucessful FF game to date. Sucessful enough that they actually made a direct fucking sequel. Not only a direct sequel, but a direct sequel with the only returning characters being the most annoing ones. Don't ask me how Square manages, but it seems like nearly anything they pull out of their asses sells. Even that digital MTV video FFX-2 or 'FF:girls night out', as I call it, is highly anticipated and is probably racking up pre-orders as we speak.

You gotta admit though, those FMVs are pretty cool....

Doc Drachenfels said:
Look here, maybe they have it

http://www.megagames.com/console

I guess I shoulda mentioned, I found a utility that does it. Apparently Square was smart and decided not to use Sony's mpeg format. They encoded the movie in standard DVD streams (.M2v), using seperate .wav audio tracks.

I found a utility (FFX2mov.exe) on a Japanese site. It let me extract the movies. Then I used DVD2avi to make them Xvids. I don't really bother splicing in the audio, I just play the vid in virtual dub (since you can overlay a seperate audio file).

Thanks for helping though.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
The reason they made the sequal is the movie bombed.
The movie was a serious blow, they are trying to maximize profits even if it is at the expense of quality. They don't have to make as much new stuff for X-2.

I play the games for the stories. The ending movies will be very confusing without the realtime sequences leading up to them.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I somehow doubt that Square is really "strapped for cash". Maybe theyll lose their precious Hawaii branch that churned out FF:Movie but oh well, they still own most nerds hearts.

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
ff10 was a little too showy for my tastes, they had ffx-another lord out in japan about half a year ago. but how could did you find a dvd to avi program, I want one so I can watch BERSERK anywhere i go...

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Majin Tenshi said:
I play the games for the stories.

Aren't you special?

Majin Tenshi said:
The ending movies will be very confusing without the realtime sequences leading up to them.

And?

Walter said:
I somehow doubt that Square is really "strapped for cash". Maybe theyll lose their precious Hawaii branch that churned out FF:Movie but oh well, they still own most nerds hearts.

Well, they are in really bad shape actually. That's the main reason for the Enix/Square merger.

As for their Hawaii based studio (Square Pictures). I'm pretty sure they sold that months ago. The last film they made before the studio doors were closed was a 10 minute short which is a part of the animatrix.

ShinHell9 said:
ff10 was a little too showy for my tastes, they had ffx-another lord out in japan about half a year ago. but how could did you find a dvd to avi program, I want one so I can watch BERSERK anywhere i go...

There are lots. Do a search for "DVD ripping". Google is our friend.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Another Story was released with the Japanese version of FFX:I
It just sets up for FFX:2. Its all in realtime so it can't be ripped as a movie file. It should be easy to find on KaZaA.

Top Bottom