Skullknight.NET Podcast: Episode 11

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Episode 11: http://skullknight.net/podcast/Podcast11.mp3

While still waiting anxiously for some new Berserk news and episodes, SKnet admins Griff, Walter and Aaz toss out some things they hope to see occur before the end of the series, and why these ideas resonate with us. We also spend some time talking about Diablo 3, Pandora's Tower and recent Kickstarter phenomenons.

Podcast Notes:
0:00:18 - Berserk News
0:06:01 - Berserk Forecasting
0:26:17 - Q+A w/Members
0:46:58 - Video Games
1:09:00 - Outtakes

Cool podcast guys. Some really funny moments in there especially Aaz's impression of what the dialog could be if Griffith died as a Demon. My favorite part of the podcast though - the outtakes ^_^.

OFFTOPIC - maybe this's a good time to have a Vagabond podcast because as there isn't much Berserk stuff (right now), we have 2 chapters that've come out already for the former with decent amount of content. Or maybe it'd be worth it to have a Vagabond podcast every 4/5 chapters? I don't know ...

Th3Branded0ne said:
Is that Zodd cel in one of the threads Griff? I would like to take a look of it . Thanks.

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=13199.msg207775#msg207775

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
OFFTOPIC - maybe this's a good time to have a Vagabond podcast because as there isn't much Berserk stuff (right now), we have 2 chapters that've come out already for the former with decent amount of content. Or maybe it'd be worth it to have a Vagabond podcast every 4/5 chapters? I don't know ...
Sorry, that's not going to happen. The topic may come up now and then but this is primarily a Berserk podcast. I'd never substitute in-depth Berserk discussion for Vagabond discussion, even on a slow day on principle.

Understood, won't ask of it again. I didn't mean it to be under the Berserk podcast. Just a separate Vagabond podcast under the Vagabond section.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Very nice Podcast as usual guys! Listening to you guys talk about Kickstarter made me think a bit about independent developers, and I'd like to know your thoughts on them in general:

What do you guys think about indie games in general? Some people try to say there is a discrepancy between independent games, games simply from independent developers, and Indie Games, usually 2D platformers that follow a "retro" style with huge pixel graphics, chiptunes music, and simple gameplay. They seem to garner a lot of attention these days and the developers reach a sort of "celebrity status." Examples being Fez, Super Meatboy, VVVVV, and to a lesser extent, Minecraft.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dar Klink said:
Very nice Podcast as usual guys! Listening to you guys talk about Kickstarter made me think a bit about independent developers, and I'd like to know your thoughts on them in general:

What do you guys think about indie games in general? Some people try to say there is a discrepancy between independent games, games simply from independent developers, and Indie Games, usually 2D platformers that follow a "retro" style with huge pixel graphics, chiptunes music, and simple gameplay. They seem to garner a lot of attention these days and the developers reach a sort of "celebrity status." Examples being Fez, Super Meatboy, VVVVV, and to a lesser extent, Minecraft.
Suire, good question. I'll give my answer on the podcast, but while we're waiting I may as well say a bit here in the thread as well.

Among the admins, I probably play the most indie/experimental games. The PC is my primary console, so in addition to whatever cool new games hit Steam and the Humble Bundles, I'll often come across smaller, half-finished gems like Desktop Dungeons, Spelunky, Defender's Quest, and Kingdom Rush. Of course I loved Super Meat Boy and VVVVVV, but looks like I won't get a chance to play Fez. The developer has said he wants it to remain a console experience. We'll see about that...

I played Minecraft for quite a while, but only solo. I never got into the whole multiplayer aspect of the game. I just liked the idea of exploring an ever-changing horizon and building makeshift shelters/forts. Exploring in that game got quite a bit more interesting with recent patches. But still, it's a somewhat empty experience that can't last too long.

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
What do you guys think about spoilers when it comes to Berserk? In effort to get us the episodes as early as possible, it's unavoidable, you guys will see blurry images of events out of sequence and without translation. So what's the worst thing you've spoiled yourself or someone else spoiled for you in Berserk? Do you guys regret having to transcribe the Japanese text?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Slime_Beherit said:
What do you guys think about spoilers when it comes to Berserk? In effort to get us the episodes as early as possible, it's unavoidable, you guys will see blurry images of events out of sequence and without translation. So what's the worst thing you've spoiled yourself or someone else spoiled for you in Berserk? Do you guys regret having to transcribe the Japanese text?

On that same topic, would it be possible to hide the large number of episode preview images when a new episode comes out, or maybe not show them altogether? I often find that they ruin the experience of reading the new episode, since they reveal a lot more than the single panel previews we received from Young Animal's site years ago. I do my best these days to scroll past them as soon as I click on the thread, but every now and then I'll catch a glimpse of something I'd rather not see until the episode shows up.

I understand that this may not be the appropriate place for this question (it might be easier to answer it in this thread or by PM than in the podcast itself), so I'm more than okay with my post being removed or moved to another location, but it's something I've thought about asking a few times before and Slime_Beherit's post kick-started my memory. :serpico:

EDIT: Shit! I completely forgot to mention how much I enjoyed this episode of the SkullKast. I, too, cracked up at Aazealh's impression of Griffith dying. So good. :void:

Thanks for the Podcast, it was really good as always. One thing i really like was that you talked about Zodd's human form, i never thought about it, so as you imagine i loved the discussion around this topic.

Rhombaad said:
I do my best these days to scroll past them as soon as I click on the thread, but every now and then I'll catch a glimpse of something I'd rather not see until the episode shows up.
I don't understand something. I dont mean to be rude but if you know that there will be pictures of the preview and more importantly that people are going to talk about the pictures, why do you click on the thread in the first place ?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Slime_Beherit said:
Rhombaad said:
On that same topic, would it be possible to hide the large number of episode preview images when a new episode comes out, or maybe not show them altogether? I often find that they ruin the experience of reading the new episode, since they reveal a lot more than the single panel previews we received from Young Animal's site years ago. I do my best these days to scroll past them as soon as I click on the thread, but every now and then I'll catch a glimpse of something I'd rather not see until the episode shows up.
Aaz and I often joke that it'd be great just to not read the series until a full volume is released, then go in completely blind and experience it the way it's meant to be experienced. ... But who the hell has the patience for that? :mozgus:

I agree with most of what you say. I'd really just prefer to get a text summary of the episode in spoiler tags until we can all see the full episode for ourselves. It's something that bothers me quite a bit... having to basically get my hands dirty by posting the images early so that we can begin discussing it, instead of naturally experiencing whatever reveal the episode has planned for us. There have certainly been times when it's burned quite badly—Episode 303 in particular (speaking of which, we're a week away from the 3 year anniversary of that historic moment in the series).

But we've given it some thought, and the thing is... it's not something that we can police in good faith, given that we want to discuss the episodes. So in the end, spoilers sort of come with the territory.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Joe Chip said:
I don't understand something. I dont mean to be rude but if you know that there will be pictures of the preview and more importantly that people are going to talk about the pictures, why do you click on the thread in the first place ?

No worries; you're not being rude. Sometimes the episodes show up early, and sometimes they don't. I click on the thread so that I can read the episode when it's available, then I go back and read through all the posts discussing it. It's not the most efficient way of doing it, but I like to be surprised. :serpico:

Walter said:
But we've given it some thought, and the thing is... it's not something that we can police in good faith, given that we want to discuss the episodes. So in the end, spoilers sort of come with the territory.

I agree; I just figured I'd broach the subject and see what you guys thought. I'll continue to dance around the spoilers as I have been recently and join in on the discussion once I've read the episode itself.

Rhombaad said:
No worries; you're not being rude. Sometimes the episodes show up early, and sometimes they don't. I click on the thread so that I can read the episode when it's available, then I go back and read through all the posts discussing it. It's not the most efficient way of doing it, but I like to be surprised. :serpico:
I see , that makes sense. I Pm'd you about a solution, i didn't want to derail the thread.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Aaz and I often joke that it'd be great just to not read the series until a full volume is released, then go in completely blind and experience it the way it's meant to be experienced. ... But who the hell has the patience for that? :mozgus:

DirectDK does it, actually. He's succumbed to the temptation a few times though, lured by myself. :iva:

Rhombaad said:
I agree; I just figured I'd broach the subject and see what you guys thought.

I'm trying not to answer questions in written form here! :puck: But anyway, like Walter said I think spoilers come with the territory. As a general rule of thumb, if you don't want Berserk spoilers then you shouldn't visit SK.net (of course you know that), and that goes for recent episodes more than for anything else. Whether it's text previews or images there's always to be some form of spoiler to some extent. It would be possible to display these images as simple links though, but I'm not sure it's the best option.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
I'm trying not to answer questions in written form here! :puck:

Hehe, I did say this might not be the best place for it. :iva:

Aazealh said:
But anyway, like Walter said I think spoilers come with the territory. As a general rule of thumb, if you don't want Berserk spoilers then you shouldn't visit SK.net (of course you know that), and that goes for recent episodes more than for anything else. Whether it's text previews or images there's always to be some form of spoiler to some extent.

Agreed. For some reason I was more comfortable with the single preview image from Young Animal and a written summary than I am with several preview images. I never really thought about it, but I guess I wasn't too bothered by written spoilers or discussions. I'm just odd that way, I guess.

Aazealh said:
It would be possible to display these images as simple links though, but I'm not sure it's the best option.

Totally up to you and the other Admins. The way it's done now doesn't have a tremendously negative impact on my life here at SK.net, and I certainly wouldn't want to change things for the (quite possible) worst if I'm the only one who feels this way.

Alright; that's enough outta me on this topic. :serpico:

To bring it back to the podcast, it was encouraging to hear that what little of Diablo III you guys have played was enjoyable. I pre-ordered it a while back, but am planning on playing the first two games before I dive into the third. For some reason, I never got around to playing them back in the late 90s. Too hung up on StarCraft, I guess. :iva:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Agreed. For some reason I was more comfortable with the single preview image from Young Animal and a written summary than I am with several preview images. I never really thought about it, but I guess I wasn't too bothered by written spoilers or discussions. I'm just odd that way, I guess.

No, I can understand. To see a lot of material but in bad conditions (low quality) and without actually seeing everything leads one to false impressions and can lower one's enjoyment of the episode. But this is the forefront of Berserk discussion, so we can't just withhold information.

Is it possible that at some point we could see a scenario where the Dragonslayer is broken? Or in order for Guts to defeat Griffith, he has to upgrade it in some way?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
JoeZeon said:
Is it possible that at some point we could see a scenario where the Dragonslayer is broken? Or in order for Guts to defeat Griffith, he has to upgrade it in some way?
Good question. I've already got my answer, but I'll save it for the show.

Btw, the next episode will either focus on Lost Children or ... V O I D. :void:

I remember reading something similar ... ok wait, here we go - http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=348.msg5464#msg5464

Both topics are exciting, especially the latter!

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Kind of a three part question: Which Zelda games have all three of you played, and which ones did you enjoy the most? Also, how do you feel about the direction of the series in general, given that the bullshit timeline was released so many months ago? Do you feel that the series has taken a turn for the worse with the latest motion control feature, or do you think it's actually become better?

Now, for the individual questions:

For Griffith: What's your profession? Your critiques are awesome and give me a chuckle when I read them. They scream "funny, asshole comic book shop guy".

For Walter: Do you have plans to revamp the site at all (adding more in-depth character bios, additional info on the timeline)? I ask this because there really aren't any good Berserk sites on the net (that I can find), and yours is the only one who offers details on the more minor characters.

For Aaz: What's it like being an anime/manga fan in France? In America, it gets ridiculous. I was just wondering if it was as flamboyant there as it is here.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Johnstantine said:
For Griffith: What's your profession? Your critiques are awesome and give me a chuckle when I read them. They scream "funny, asshole comic book shop guy".

Haha, in the span of that question I went from potentially being a professional critic to Comic Book Guy. :ganishka:

Now that I think about, Roger Ebert and Comic Book Guy have some string similarities. :carcus:

Walter said:
Btw, the next episode will either focus on Lost Children or ... V O I D. :void:
Ooooh exciting!! Walter now maybe now we'll learn why your pictures/avatars are almsot always V O I D? :void: Should I submit that as a question? Consider it done!

Looking forward to hearing each of you answer the Zelda question asked earlier... My favorite in the series is Ocarina of Time. Link is so cute in that one :casca:

Top Bottom