Episode 334

Walter said:
Consider how she found and utilized the Blaze Wheel--an entity subsisting off the fire innate to a war-torn area. Versus... a water snake.

I don't think you give Daiba enough credit. He's controlling the Kundalini, a being whose power is strong enough to be called a God in polytheistic religion. That seems pretty impressive to me. Aside from the fact that Daiba is literally levitating almost every time we've seen him, he's had other feats that I think place him above Schierke. Daiba was able to identify the Berserker armor and had a general idea of what it did. He also made the artificial Beherit contraption, which makes me believe that he has a pretty large understanding of the astral world as well. :daiba:

I agree that Daiba has shown to have a much more physical prowess as compared to Schierke's astral-like abilities, along with pretty much everything else you said. The two use very different types of magic, which Daiba even says himself. I think that Daiba's knowledge and ability could even become very helpful to Schierke if they ever joined together, but who knows.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NeaR said:
He's controlling the Kundalini, a being whose power is strong enough to be called a God in polytheistic religion.

Yet not nearly as powerful as any of the spirits Schierke's ever called upon. Furthermore, the Kundalini was given to him by Ganishka.

NeaR said:
Aside from the fact that Daiba is literally levitating almost every time we've seen him, he's had other feats that I think place him above Schierke.

Like what feats? Daiba's skills were on the contrary rather limited compared to hers. Practically all of his tricks relied on the Kundalini or the Pishacha. Meanwhile, Schierke, a little girl, has more knowledge of the astral world than he does, and could see through his magic while he certainly couldn't see through hers. And that's while he had the advantage. Their encounter was completely rigged in his favor, yet he still lost. Furthermore, she's shown to be a lot more adaptable than he has been so far, and her skills exceed his as well. So Daiba can control horses? So can she, and she can mesmerize humans too. And transfer her spirit to animals. And create various wards. Transfer energy to other people. Detect Od. Interfere with the way the Berserk's armor works. And so on.

I'm not saying Daiba sucks, in fact I'm rather fond of the old man and of his tricks, but to say that his skills are superior to Schierke seems aberrant to me.

NeaR said:
I agree that Daiba has shown to have a much more physical prowess as compared to Schierke's astral-like abilities, along with pretty much everything else you said.

It's not really more physical, just more limited.

NeaR said:
The two use very different types of magic, which Daiba even says himself.

That's because he doesn't understand what she does. Whereas she understands what he does. The underlying principles are the same.

NeaR said:
I think that Daiba's knowledge and ability could even become very helpful to Schierke if they ever joined together, but who knows.

That's not very likely to happen. The one area where he does have knowledge that surpasses hers though is when it comes to apostles, thanks to Ganishka. On that note, it'll be interesting to see what he can do without him.

Aazealh said:
Meanwhile, Schierke, a little girl, has more knowledge of the astral world than he does, and could see through his magic while he certainly couldn't see through hers. And that's while he had the advantage. Their encounter was completely rigged in his favor, yet he still lost. Furthermore, she's shown to be a lot more adaptable than he has been so far, and her skills exceed his as well.
To say Daiba didn't see through her magic is a bit unfair, though. Daiba had no idea Schierke was assisting Guts during the battle because Schierke was in astral form the entire time, so he couldn't see her, but Schierke could see everything. She wasn't in danger at all, she could completely concentrate on decoding Daiba's magic, whereas Daiba was battling and actually in danger. I think if Daiba actually saw Schierke calling upon the spirits he could figure out her magic.

Aazealh said:
I'm not saying Daiba sucks, in fact I'm rather fond of the old man and of his tricks, but to say that his skills are superior to Schierke seems aberrant to me.
I know. :p I don't think anyone in this thread meant to say that Daiba sucks.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
NeaR said:
To say Daiba didn't see through her magic is a bit unfair, though. Daiba had no idea Schierke was assisting Guts during the battle because Schierke was in astral form the entire time, so he couldn't see her, but Schierke could see everything. She wasn't in danger at all, she could completely concentrate on decoding Daiba's magic, whereas Daiba was battling and actually in danger. I think if Daiba actually saw Schierke calling upon the spirits he could figure out her magic.

If he could have he likely would have though. Her magic was still being employed, and if he could see and understand the astral realm as deeply as she can, he would have sensed it and her presence as well. Since we're giving him the benefit of the doubt, I don't think Daiba would put himself at such a disadvantage if he could help it simply because he was being pressed (not concentrating or understanding the methods being employed against him would be far more dangerous). Also, to be fair, Schierke was in danger, on two fronts, physically and ethereally. She was just as involved in that fight as Daiba, if not more. My point was simply that we don't know the extent of Daiba's abilities, but from what we've seen, and basic story logic (the same reason Guts is like the best swordsman EVER :guts:), I doubt he's a better magic user than Schierke. I just didn't like the comparison in the first place for the purposes of this episode and Daiba's role in Falconia.

To that point, if Rickert and Erica need to beat a quick retreat because he calls Griffith an asshole or something, they're going to need their horses, or something better... :daiba:

I have not received my YA yet but saw these on Yahoo Auctions. looks like we get more than one, pretty cool.

Rw4q2ew.jpg

4TObG9q.jpg

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
My my, it has been quite a bit of time since the last episode. As others have mentioned, its interesting how normal everything looks but I can't help but feel giddy knowing that there will be the inevitable "chow down" that happens . :ubik:

I know it was mentioned, as a joke, that Daiba was here as an infiltrator but would if he actually was? Maybe he has some plan in trying to revive Ganishka? :daiba:

Anyways, its good to see Berserk back up and running along with some familiar faces. I am wondering who else will be making a return. Also i wonder how many of the previous organizations/powers will be presented and how much "power" if at all, they still have.

Berserk makes me happy in the pants! :carcus:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NeaR said:
To say Daiba didn't see through her magic is a bit unfair, though. Daiba had no idea Schierke was assisting Guts during the battle because Schierke was in astral form the entire time, so he couldn't see her, but Schierke could see everything.

He was perched up high and had an overview of everything. If he couldn't see her it's because he can't see astral bodies, and that's again a sign of how limited his skills are compared to Schierke. Anyway, all this talk of magic makes me eager to see some of the heavy hitters from Elfhelm. I have a feeling it's going to be volume 24 all over again.

Griffith said:
To that point, if Rickert and Erica need to beat a quick retreat because he calls Griffith an asshole or something, they're going to need their horses, or something better... :daiba:

*Jumping out a castle window*
"He's crazy!"

"To the rescue... here I am!"

Bender said:
I have not received my YA yet but saw these on Yahoo Auctions. looks like we get more than one, pretty cool.

Yup. I like the Chich one, super cute.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I know it was mentioned, as a joke, that Daiba was here as an infiltrator but would if he actually was? Maybe he has some plan in trying to revive Ganishka? :daiba:

Hehe, I don't think reviving Ganishka is a possibility, however I do believe he's there to observe how things go.

Hi, everybody! What a better way to entering the forum that with the return of our favorite series? :guts:

About the episode... Nothing that hasn't been said already: gorgeous (gorgeous, gorgeous) art and big things in the horizon. I cannot wait to see the face to face between Griffith and Rickert.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Bender said:

Rw4q2ew.jpg

4TObG9q.jpg

Just picked up my copy from my local bookstore. They're really cool!

Gurifisu

Sweet dreams, dear child of god.
Is it possible that Daiba really is just a horse tender now? Are even Griffith's enemies being molded to fit Griffith's dream? I was wondering if anyone thought their minds were slowly being warped by Griffith's influence?

Though it could just be that the rest of the world has become a fantastical hell, and this is the last safe place.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Tripas said:
Hi, everybody! What a better way to entering the forum that with the return of our favorite series? :guts:

Hi Tripas, welcome!

Gurifisu said:
Is it possible that Daiba really is just a horse tender now? Are even Griffith's enemies being molded to fit Griffith's dream? I was wondering if anyone thought their minds were slowly being warped by Griffith's influence?

Though it could just be that the rest of the world has become a fantastical hell, and this is the last safe place.

I don't think direct mind-control is at work, but between the prophetic dreams, Griffith's supernatural charisma, power and accomplishments, the combination of Falconia being some sort of idyllic city and the rest of the world teeming with monsters... There's not much of a choice.

What a beautiful return! Miura's drawings seem to be getting more and more detailed as the series progresses. I was blown away by the cityscapes.

Griffith is finally living his dream! I am really anxious to see how he rules over his kingdom. As many have said: right now Falconia seems too perfect. Maybe Rickert will find out about the inner workings once he meets Griffith.

Also bad news for anyone in the PDX area: the Beaverton Kinokuniya does not carry Young Animal.

Seeing this is extremely excting but feels also frightning to me mainly because we expected and waited for that moment for so long. We may not know how it's gonna be shown but we know relatively what's coming.

Even if the city was modified to Griffith's will, what kind of revelations on Gaiseric, do you expect (others than subtle references) ? Do you think Griffith could have knowingly kept some important elements (physical or not) related to Gaiseric/SK ?

Again, Miura is a evil meticulous man. Miura's capacity to distill information, little by little always amazed me.
Anyway, like Aaz said in the podcast, all things starts to converge nicely.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ryouma said:
Seeing this is extremely excting but feels also frightning to me mainly because we expected and waited for that moment for so long. We may not know how it's gonna be shown but we know relatively what's coming.

I presume you mean the city's destruction? It might not end that way. We don't know much about what happened 1000 years ago, but I can't imagine the circumstances were exactly like they are now. I think what's happening in the Berserk world now is unique in its history, because of just how special Griffith is. But... yeah, I imagine all those Falcon motifs will have to come down or be shattered by the end of the story somehow... :guts:

Even if the city was modified to Griffith's will, what kind of revelations on Gaiseric, do you expect (others than subtle references) ? Do you think Griffith could have knowingly kept some important elements (physical or not) related to Gaiseric/SK ?

From the city itself? Nope. I'd guess most of that stuff was scrubbed away in favor of the Falcon imagery. Maybe there will be something in the Tower of Rebirth though...? But perhaps Skull Knight will now finally shed light on his story, now that his former city has emerged. He'll be drunk on elf wine, wallowing in sadness after the events in Volume 34, and in that moment of weakness, Guts will make him spill it all.

Walter said:
I presume you mean the city's destruction? It might not end that way.
We don't know much about what happened 1000 years ago, but I can't imagine the circumstances were exactly like they are now. I think what's happening in the Berserk world now is unique in its history, because of just how special Griffith is.But... yeah, I imagine all those Falcon motifs will have to come down or be shattered by the end of the story somehow... :guts:

That's exactly what i meant. I was wondering, even when we don't know yet how Gaiseric managed to unified different factions within one empire and then disappeared, even with the significant change of the world, the existence of Griffith, Guts being an anomaly on its own, can Falconia rise and fall could reveal/mirror some events which occured in the ancient city ? Again, I know the circumstances and people involved are extremely different (from what we know right now) but that idea is attractive.

Walter said:
From the city itself? Nope. I'd guess most of that stuff was scrubbed away in favor of the Falcon imagery. Maybe there will be something in the Tower of Rebirth though...? But perhaps Skull Knight will now finally shed light on his story, now that his former city has emerged.

And we can finally get that ineluctable Gaiseric >> Skullknight flashback :SK:
I really hope this part fulfill the equivalent of a entire volume.

Walter said:
He'll be drunk on elf wine, wallowing in sadness after the events in Volume 34, and in that moment of weakness, Guts will make him spill it all.

Please can someone draw this :ubik:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ryOtoha said:
can Falconia's rise and fall reveal/mirror some events which occured in the ancient city ? Again, I know the circumstances and people involved are extremely different (from what we know right now) but that idea is attractive.

I'm kind of torn on it, honestly. On the one hand, it would make sense as you say that events of that magnitude would mirror themselves (but causality is a spiral, not a circle). On the other hand, there's no precedent that says the God Hand were in complete control back then, as they are now. There likely wasn't even a God Hand at that time, or that was the birth of the first. And that's a big factor to consider.

And we can finally get that ineluctable Gaiseric >> Skullknight flashback :SK:
I really hope this part fulfill the equivalent of a entire volume.

If Ganishka got a half-episode, and Farnese and Serpico got 2 episodes, I think it's feasible to think that SK's will be at least as long :badbone:. I'd be happy with a 2 or 3-part episode. That would be fair. I just hope it's more than a few pages. It's a culminating moment for the series, and something I've been dying to know since I started reading. After waiting so long, I would like it to be quite elaborate.

Please can someone draw this :ubik:

From old forum member Anchella back in 2000:

happyimage.jpg

Walter said:
I'm kind of torn on it, honestly. On the one hand, it would make sense as you say that events of that magnitude would mirror themselves (but causality is a spiral, not a circle).

Causality being a spiral remains without no doubt a essential notion and the main reason why i'm also not completely sold on this. Agreed about the God hand's presence. Although, i can't wait to see their own domain.

Btw, I really like what you said about Zodd being highly pleased to now have the possibility to challenge a variety of powerful creatures. Plus Dragon's wrestling sounds fun ! :zodd:

Walter said:
From old forum member Anchella back in 2000:

Thanks ! This drawing is cool/cute but it doesn't exactly convey my idea of SK being completely drunk and sad. Somehow, i'd like to see a melodramatic SK.

Like Aaz (said in the latest podcast), when I saw the last page, the way Rickert looks, staring (through a decent wooden window) at the elegant palace entrance, this ideal and pure design, i also found strongly reminiscent of a young Griffith and his ideal castle.

Gummyskull, i can't wait to see your drawing :serpico:

Gurifisu

Sweet dreams, dear child of god.
I'm kind of torn on it, honestly. On the one hand, it would make sense as you say that events of that magnitude would mirror themselves (but causality is a spiral, not a circle). On the other hand, there's no precedent that says the God Hand were in complete control back then, as they are now. There likely wasn't even a God Hand at that time, or that was the birth of the first. And that's a big factor to consider.

Well, the legends do say that 4-5(?) angels descended. If the angels are indeed the Godhand then I have my doubts that they were all created on that day.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Gurifisu said:
Well, the legends do say that 4-5(?) angels descended. If the angels are indeed the Godhand then I have my doubts that they were all created on that day.

yeah but the thing is, we don't know if the 4/5 angels were god hand or not. And considering the explanation in the eclipse on how every member of the godhand appears at 216 years. I don't think they were all created that day. We'd be missing a few members if that was the case.

I'm more on Walter's side with being probably the birth of the first one... or something in the likes.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
yeah but the thing is, we don't know if the 4/5 angels were god hand or not. And considering the explanation in the eclipse on how every member of the godhand appears at 216 years. I don't think they were all created that day. We'd be missing a few members if that was the case.

Missing all of them, actually.

Someone's probably mentioned this before, but Falconia draws some heavy inspiration from New Jerusalem, God's supercity in the book of revelation. There are similar numeorological motifs, the way the city appears, the tree of life, etc. Reading that fever dream of a book with Berserk in mind offers some pretty tantalizing ideas of what kind of things COULD happen, although nothing so obvious you could instantly draw a snappy theory from it: http://biblehub.com/niv/revelation/1.htm (not the first chapters so much, it gets better the further you read)

To give an idea, Satan brands people on the arm or forehead. God also brands people on the forehead. :ganishka: (and the bible ends with the promise that these people will live happily ever after in God's supercity)

Top Bottom