Episode 344

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
The biggest revelation to me, that we didn't already presume, was the confirmation that Griffith wasn't merely targeting Flora but all such magical sites. It definitely suggests the gang won't be leaving by choice and has me excited for what's likely to be a cataclysmic penultimate battle when Griff sails/flies his unholy army to Skellig looking to finish the job. I also think it's interesting that, considering the players and the stakes, it could really be a most worthy finale since I think we've always presumed, at least I have, that Guts and co. would eventually come to him. Ultimately, I still think that happens for a few reasons, namely that we still need to raise the stakes and put our heroes in a taller burning tree, strange as that sounds where Guts is concerned. Having Griffith, and possibly the rest of the God Hand, come lay waste to the last outpost of traditional magic, kill the King of Elves, and generally do even more to wrong our heroes and put them in a deeper hole makes a ton of dramatic sense to both setup a final showdown and make victory seem that much more unlikely until Guts unites the last remnants of humanity together to for one last raid mission (we have to see Guts in the Apostle bowels of Falconia =). I don't think the end game has potentially ever looked so tangible.

I just hope Casca gets cured in time. :???:

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
I'm not sure Griffith is going to send his army to attack Skellig. To do that would mean his apostles would have to battle Guts & co as well as all other wizards on their ground, meaning they would be at heavy disadvantage. I imagine the island itself would try to fight, including nature spirits, elements as well as other astral creatures. Guts alone can plow through average apostles and the rest of them are capable of fighting them off as well. That's not including all the wizards, possible astral creatures on Skellig that are allied to Elf King, and Guru Mage is there as well.

While nobody doubts Griffith's and his close general's powers, Griffith is too smart and tactical for such a move. He's going to wait for them to come to him, or at least I think so.

That said, he may send some scouting forces to test the waters, but im not so sure about full blown assault.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Oh, here is the comment from this week's YA:

YlHfuqJp.jpg:medium

"Everyone, please also show your support to the anime."

Feeblecursedone said:
To do that would mean his apostles would have to battle Guts & co as well as all other wizards on their ground, meaning they would be at heavy disadvantage.

We don't know if they would be at a disadvantage. Zodd and his apostles were unable to attack Ganishka in Vrittanis. They appeared to be at a disadvantage. But it was planned for Zodd to team up with Guts the entire time. That disadvantage ended up being false.

Feeblecursedone said:
I imagine the island itself would try to fight, including nature spirits, elements as well as other astral creatures.

Astral creatures wouldn't be a problem for apostles. Apostles literally kill them for fun.

Elemental spirits would be a problem. But it depends on the situation. Elemental spirits couldn't be summoned to fight the Sea God. I don't imagine they could be summoned if Femto is there. Anything short of the Four Kings would be useless. And we haven't seen their power used offensively.

Feeblecursedone said:
That said, he may send some scouting forces to test the waters, but im not so sure about full blown assault.

Femto doesn't test waters. Remember that there are bigger forces at play here. Femto's actions further the IoE's agenda. And what the IoE wants inevitably happens. At least so far. If Femto assaults the island his goal will be accomplished.

Uriel said:
Oh, here is the comment from this week's YA:

"Everyone, please also show your support to the anime."

I meant to ask about the comment yesterday but forgot. Thank you, Uriel. I appreciate you taking the time to post it.

Feeblecursedone

We don't know if they would be at a disadvantage. Zodd and his apostles were unable to attack Ganishka in Vrittanis. They appeared to be at a disadvantage. But it was planned for Zodd to team up with Guts the entire time. That disadvantage ended up being false.

That's hardly the same as attacking what's essentially a magical haven and fortress for wizards and astreal creatures. Magical users may not be outside of casuality's influence but the astral beings and other non-human elements should be. And this time, Guts' wont be on Zodd's side, definitely not when it comes to choosing btw Skellig or Apostles. Fighting in a foreign territory where the ground and elements are completely under your enemy's control is not to be dismissed.

Astral creatures wouldn't be a problem for apostles. Apostles literally kill them for fun.

We cannot know that for sure. We know trolls and ogres are not much of a challenge, but who knows what all sorts of manner of creatures live on Skellig. There's a lot more of astral creatures than just trolls and ogres. They might have a dragon for all we know, or a hydra.

Elemental spirits would be a problem. But it depends on the situation. Elemental spirits couldn't be summoned to fight the Sea God. I don't imagine they could be summoned if Femto is there. Anything short of the Four Kings would be useless. And we haven't seen their power used offensively.

We've already seen elements in action, and we have seen a Kundalini, who's not an element, but can control element of water. Given Skellig is an island with a lot of wild floura and fauna, i wouldnt be surprised if there are some Kundalini on the Island itself.

I wouldn't dismiss Skellig's forces. Especially considering average apostles are little more than cannon fodder at this point of story. That's not even taking Guru and Elf king himself into account. I seriously doubt anyone short of Griffith, Zodd, Irvine, Grunbeld or Locus would stand a chance against them.

Femto doesn't test waters. Remember that there are bigger forces at play here. Femto's actions further the IoE's agenda. And what the IoE wants inevitably happens. At least so far. If Femto assaults the island his goal will be accomplished.

Femto is still a military commander, regardless of his demonic state, as he portrayed in the battle against Ganishka's spawn. Besides, Skellig might be out of IOE's reach completely for all we know. As for whether his goal is going to be accomplished, we don't know that.

Attacking isoldated spiritual trees and witches is one thing, and attacking a domain of Elf King is completely another. Not saying its impossible, but that it might not be as easy and predestined as you might think.

I also think the final battle is going to be around Falconia, so if Griffith arrives on Skellig it may be too premature?

With that said, I wouldn't mind some action. Im still waiting for Guts to slay an actual dragon with dragonslayer, now that dragons are a thing ( maybe the one on rooftoops? :p ) Imagine if guts could create new weapons from dragon's hide. A dragonslayer greatbow! Like one from Dark souls o.o now that he doesnt have an access to his crossbow anymore.

Feeblecursedone said:
That's hardly the same as attacking what's essentially a magical haven and fortress for wizards and astreal creatures.

That's not what I said. I said an obvious disadvantage might not reflect the reality of the situation. The encounter with Ganishka is an example of that.

Feeblecursedone said:
Magical users may not be outside of casuality's influence but the astral beings and other non-human elements should be.

Nothing is outside of causality's influence. Causality is just cause and effect. And the IoE has a habit of accounting for things it can't directly control. Take SK's attack on Femto as an example.

Feeblecursedone said:
And this time, Guts' wont be on Zodd's side, definitely not when it comes to choosing btw Skellig or Apostles.

I didn't say he would.

Feeblecursedone said:
We cannot know that for sure.

But a speculation's foundation should be built on information we already know. The information we have says they aren't much of a problem. Especially for an army of apostles.

Feeblecursedone said:
Besides, Skellig might be out of IOE's reach completely for all we know.

We know it's not.

Feeblecursedone said:
As for whether his goal is going to be accomplished, we don't know that.

It has worked flawlessly so far.

Feeblecursedone said:
Attacking isoldated spiritual trees and witches is one thing, and attacking a domain of Elf King is completely another. Not saying its impossible, but that it might not be as easy and predestined as you might think.

I never said it would be easy. But its difficulty would depend on what effect Femto's presence has.

If he does attack the island it will be because the IoE planned it. We know that already.

Feeblecursedone said:
I also think the final battle is going to be around Falconia, so if Griffith arrives on Skellig it may be too premature?

I don't think the island will be attacked by Femto. But an attack doesn't mean it has to be the final showdown.

Feeblecursedone

That's not what I said. I said an obvious disadvantage might not reflect the reality of the situation. The encounter with Ganishka is an example of that.

Perhaps. But there's also a chance that it might, afterall we have no idea how powerful Elf King really is and if he can act/influence lives under his domain.

Nothing is outside of causality's influence. Causality is just cause and effect. And the IoE has a habit of accounting for things it can't directly control. Take SK's attack on Femto as an example.

Sk is still however under influence of IOE, you're right. However we dont know wether that's the case for Elf King.

But a speculation's foundation should be built on information we already know. The information we have says they aren't much of a problem. Especially for an army of apostles.

An Ogre was actually putting up a good fight against Borkoff, before it got killed. Which means it would stand a realistically good chance against a lesser apostle. Most apostles aren't really that big of a deal, especially if they encountered something stronger than Ogres which im sure will happen on Skellig. At this point, they're merely cannon fodder. The true danger comes from Apostle commanders, which we all know who they are, and of course, Griffith himself. You say they aren't big of a deal, but so as I said, apostles arent either. Elements and astral creatures should be evenly matched against common apostles, especially considering the native terrain favours them.

We know it's not.

That depends on Elf King I think.

I never said it would be easy. But its difficulty would depend on what effect Femto's presence has.

If he does attack the island it will be because the IoE planned it. We know that already.

Well yes, Femto's presence would potentially spell doom. Yes, it will be because IOE planned it, but IOE might not have a way to influence or direct Elf's king response to it. It may be a clash with unknown variables. Also, Elf King might be able to forsee the attack and plan accordingly.

I don't think the island will be attacked by Femto. But an attack doesn't mean it has to be the final showdown.

It doesn't true, but I think the island is supposed to be haven for our character's growth and development. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind for such a thing to happen if we get an epic scale battle out of it, but I dont think its going to happen.

Feeblecursedone said:
Sk is still however under influence of IOE, you're right. However we dont know wether that's the case for Elf King.

The Elf King isn't directly influenced by the IoE.

Feeblecursedone said:
An Ogre was actually putting up a good fight against Borkoff, before it got killed. Which means it would stand a realistically good chance against a lesser apostle. Most apostles aren't really that big of a deal, especially if they encountered something stronger than Ogres which im sure will happen on Skellig. At this point, they're merely cannon fodder. The true danger comes from Apostle commanders, which we all know who they are, and of course, Griffith himself. You say they aren't big of a deal, but so as I said, apostles arent either. Elements and astral creatures should be evenly matched against common apostles, especially considering the native terrain favours them.

Apostles are stronger than you think. Guts can cut them down easily now. But that doesn't make them weak. And they aren't cannon fodder. They're literally the strength behind Griffith's army. "The beak and talons of the Falcon."

Feeblecursedone said:
That depends on Elf King I think.

No. It doesn't. There are humans on the island. The IoE is an inseparable part of humanity.

Feeblecursedone said:
Well yes, Femto's presence would potentially spell doom. Yes, it will be because IOE planned it, but IOE might not have a way to influence or direct Elf's king response to it. It may be a clash with unknown variables. Also, Elf King might be able to forsee the attack and plan accordingly.

This is what I was talking about:

Skeleton said:

My comment on the IoE was a separate thought.

Feeblecursedone said:
It doesn't true, but I think the island is supposed to be haven for our character's growth and development.

Yes.

Imperator Hanseatic

Ultimately just a crippled neet who loves Berserk.
Feeblecursedone said:
I seriously doubt anyone short of Griffith, Zodd, Irvine, Grunbeld or Locus would stand a chance against them.

I think we're forgetting someone in this list.....

:rakshas:

Interesting discussion either way, though I suspect that there is way too much that's left to speculation at this point in order to guess with any certainty at what may happen should the story take such a turn. I'm not saying don't do it though! Always good to explore such potential. :guts:

Feeblecursedone

The Elf King isn't directly influenced by the IoE.

Exactly. He isn't. Which means he's outside of the sphere of control, which means he might do something that will not be in IOE's plan. If a struggler like Guts or SK can often change their fate even in the most minimal manner ( Yes I know it doesnt disturb the flow of the river and what not ), I imagine Elf KIng might be able to completely reverse it, as its not subject to control.

Apostles are stronger than you think. Guts can cut them down easily now. But that doesn't make them weak. And they aren't cannon fodder. They're literally the strength behind Griffith's army. "The beak and talons of the Falcon."

Well I should clarify. I meant fodder for the likes of Guts, Guru, Elf King, etc. Apostles are strong in comparison to human army, but this time around they're fighting creatures that are just as big, strong and capable of wrecking havoc with magic. My guess is the numbers will probably prevail here, when it comes to these lesser fights. In any case, we know that it will depend on few key players.

No. It doesn't. There are humans on the island. The IoE is an inseparable part of humanity.

I guess we shall see.

I think we're forgetting someone in this list.....

True, Rakshas is there as well.

Off-topic, but I seriously wanna see Guts slay a Dragon with the Dragon Slayer. And then have som dragon weaponary forged from its hide. Imagine if he hefted a greatshield, like Artorias the Abysswalker ( who was inspired by Guts ) :guts: It would be like reverse-reference, Miura getting inspired by Miyazaki and vice versa ( which already happened )

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Feeblecursedone said:
Griffith is too smart and tactical for such a move. He's going to wait for them to come to him, or at least I think so.

If what Ged says about Griffith extinguishing Spirit Trees is true, and it's something that's still important to him even after the merging, then he will probably attack Elfhelm at some point in the future. If they're not important to him anymore, then we have a completely different set of expectations for the future, and the conversation we're building now around this stuff won't come into play for years, with totally different variables, on a completely different world stage.

Skeleton said:

We aren't even close to grasping the full extent of the astral creature lineup. And there's a range of possibilities. A troll? Tasty snack. But something like the kundalini? Different story. What about something even more powerful, though? I don't think it's crazy to think Miura has been saving his biggest cards for last.

Feeblecursedone said:
Magical users may not be outside of casuality's influence but the astral beings and other non-human elements should be

And yet, they've heretofore been relegated to an island, far, far away thanks to the actions of humans. The Idea of Evil's means of control stems from humanity, and humanity has done a pretty stellar job of distancing itself from those elements and constraining their role on the world stage. My point being, they're probably exactly where they're supposed to be for whatever it is the God Hand have planned.

If a struggler like Guts or SK can often change their fate even in the most minimal manner ( Yes I know it doesnt disturb the flow of the river and what not ),

The word "fate" shouldn't be used like this when it comes to Berserk. And I wouldn't even say they can do such things "often." Only during very specific moments, of which we've seen maybe 5-6 in total?

I imagine Elf KIng might be able to completely reverse it, as its not subject to control.

What does that even mean..?

I've read the rest of the back and forth, but I'd like to step out of the quote structure for the rest. This discussion sees to be circling around the potential impact of an apostle attack on Elfhelm. Feeble says witches+astral creatures would be formidable, Skeleton says Apostles are no slouches. You're both right, I think. It would be a bloodbath on both fronts. But when you come right down to it, if Griffith or one of the God Hand do happen to launch an attack TODAY, guess where my money would be? Probably the demonic forces who have been planning things behind the scenes for a millennium and currently have the entire world's assets in their grasp. Not the hippie village and their native pals.

But I think such discussion is premature for a variety of reasons. First, we don't know enough about Elfhelm and its inhabitants to weigh in on what they could bring to the table in a battle. Schierke's most powerful abilities are contingent on nearby astral entities. As the final stronghold of magic users who are one with nature, Skellig and Elfhelm could be an insane wellspring of power in that regard. Second, there's the question of if Griffith and Co. even have any interest in waging a long, distant campaign on foreign soil. And third, there are revelations on the horizon, and they aren't big fight related. If it goes like we think it will (and admittedly Miura is stellar at subverting this...), a massive showdown of the proportions being discussed is still volumes away. And like I said earlier, such a battle by that point will include a number of other variables that we can't hope to account for at this moment.

Really like the way things mirrors themselves in the serie. I'm already waiting for another attack just in front of the treehouse and maybe a duel.

The bubble in question is

「世界各地の
封印
”霊樹の森”を
襲ってな」

"World Seals" comes from "世界各地の封印", "世界" meaning "the world", "各地" meaning "all over/everywhere" ("世界各地" in and of its own meaning "all the world over", and "封印", which could mean a seal or a stamp but more connotes something which seals something (away/behind/&c.). Because of the positions of the particles の and を, we know that the seals are called "霊樹の森", and that they are under attack.

Whether or not this is an optimal translation, I couldn't say, but that is the source and logic behind my decision.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sure, and thanks for explaining it, I just meant that I'm unsure about that concept. If he's just referring to the border between worlds being shattered, then it's something we already knew and it's merely being given a formal title. But if it's something new -- well, that's something we should consider.

Ah, I see. I wish I knew, but we will probably hear more about it in the next episode, seeing as Gaedfling more or less says as much in another few bubbles.

Last week's YA release carries both episodes 343 and 344. Just FYI for members who are on the bend whether or not to pick up the YA issue. There also appears to be a 4 page interview plus the continuation of the short comic interview that was translated by puella early June (please correct me if I'm wrong guys). You're in for a treat. Buy the issue guys and support Berserk!

When I tried to pick it up last week, the store said they only had 1 issue and it was reserved. I found this a little strange/surprising and placed an order for it. The issues I ordered came in today. All these years they've carried at least 3/5 copies per issue, most of which are reserved for those subscribing to the magazine.

Reading the new episode and catching up with the topic and summary + translations (Thanks Aaz and puella!).

This issue also contains a supplemental issue with four consecutive episodes from right after Lost Children, and a fun little "leather tray" for keeping your change or keys or whatever.

Squiddot

The Falcon needs you. You don't need him!
If we're discussing the YA issue, i'll also mention to anyone who's been checking up on Hakusensha-e.net that the issue is finally available for online purchase. Aaz published a "how-to" for us non-japanese speakers.

Squiddot said:
If we're discussing the YA issue, i'll also mention to anyone who's been checking up on Hakusensha-e.net that the issue is finally available for online purchase. Aaz published a "how-to" for us non-japanese speakers.

And wow, it looks fucking amazing. Definitely worth it.

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
Squiddot said:
It's really, really good.
Even the republished last Episode [343] in this issue of YA is more polished that the same Episode that was in the former issue.

yeah YA No.13 is now my first digital YA purchase and i gotta say the quality is amazing, there is a hilarious looking comic at the end of the berserk section, i hope it gets translated. which one of those guys is miura? the one with the mustache? the shy looking one?

idi0tf0wl said:
This issue also contains a supplemental issue with four consecutive episodes from right after Lost Children, and a fun little "leather tray" for keeping your change or keys or whatever.

Mine didn't come with a leather tray :puck:

Top Bottom