Author Topic: Dark Horse Releases "Deluxe" Berserk Edition  (Read 1979 times)

Offline IncantatioN

• Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
Re: Dark Horse Releases "Deluxe" Berserk Edition
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2018, 02:59:56 PM »
Volume 1, Pg 4
Japanese (Digital)
Japanese (Print)
English (Digital)
English (Print)

Volume 1, Pg 24
Japanese (Digital)
Japanese (Print)
English (Digital)
English (Print)

Dark Horse's digital quality really isn't that bad, except for the obvious banding issues that happen when there's a detailed pattern or screen effect. Even still, the Japanese digital editions weren't great in the first few volumes, either. Volume 1 in particular looks quite washed out. I don't  know why, but they improved over time (as did Dark Horse's coincidentally). Maybe they were still figuring out the best method for scanning the originals, and never bothered to do another pass once they optimized? Either way, my money is still on the Japanese print being the best, most consistent visual quality, except for the very limited color pages, in which case the Japanese digital pages obviously win, as they're just fucking pristine. Alright there goes my evening, somebody buy me a drink.

I would've said "Sure thing, next time you're in the city lets meet again at Puck Fair" but sadly, that place shut down in 2016 :judo:, +1 karma for now *clink*! Thanks for breaking it down so well, with various formats in mind. I'd forgotten about DH's digital version because I don't own the series in digital format (yet).

EDIT

Amazon pre-order link is now live, available for $49.99 - https://www.amazon.com/Berserk-Deluxe-1-Kentaro-Miura/dp/1506711987/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538501218&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=berserk+deluxe+edition
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 07:24:04 PM by IncantatioN »
At the end of time, a moment will come when just one man remains. Then the moment will pass. Man will be gone. There will be nothing to show that we were ever here... but stardust.

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2018, 02:35:51 PM »
I haven't done an extensive comparison between the official digital scans from Dark Horse and the print editions, but I really wonder if they're improved.

Scratch that, I did it:

Volume 1, Pg 4

Volume 1, Pg 24

Damn, I would have just believed your description! With the color pages considered, though their relevancy obviously dwindles with time, it's hard for me not to consider the JP digital the best option visually. On the other hand, being able to get the gist of the dialogue makes a strong case for DH. Hey, does the DH digital revert back to the original art in cases that were modified in print? I think the most prominent example I'm thinking of is either the Zondark, Count, or Femto fight in volumes 2 or 3, where Guts is being knocked/pulled away screaming. Don't trouble yourself looking if it's not convenient.

Offline therevverend

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2018, 03:26:28 AM »
If it was a couple years from now or a few years ago I'd be happy but Berserk's been on a bad losing streak. It's gotten hard to be optimistic about anything. It's ownership doesn't understand the material or the target audience which has caused vast amounts of damage. At least it's not Dune where it's been the author's own son trashing the franchise.

Last year master editions of Blame! by Tsutomo Nihei were released. It is excellent. The art looks great the translations are as good as it gets and it's a good size you can see all the detail.  There aren't any bonuses or new drawings except for the new character designs from the anime but I can live with that. The important part is they nailed the material and fixed (many) earlier mistakes.

But that's a Vertical release not Dark Horse. Ideally it would be similar to the Blame! release but without the new character designs from the anime and some new art by Miura. It doesn't need to be anything fancy or extra but they need to fix their mistakes. A translation by someone who understands the story, maybe even gets into it and the nuances. Instead of hammering it out as a 9 to 5 job translating as dully as possible with no eye for context.

If it's just a copy of the earlier translations with a fancy cover printed on bigger paper it'll be very disappointing even if it contains the token beautiful new Miura drawings.

Offline MrFlibble

• Of the Interstice
  • Without a fairy, you're not even a real man.
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2018, 08:41:37 AM »
If it was a couple years from now or a few years ago I'd be happy but Berserk's been on a bad losing streak. It's gotten hard to be optimistic about anything. It's ownership doesn't understand the material or the target audience which has caused vast amounts of damage. At least it's not Dune where it's been the author's own son trashing the franchise.

Last year master editions of Blame! by Tsutomo Nihei were released. It is excellent. The art looks great the translations are as good as it gets and it's a good size you can see all the detail.  There aren't any bonuses or new drawings except for the new character designs from the anime but I can live with that. The important part is they nailed the material and fixed (many) earlier mistakes.

Those new Blame! Translations are terrible IMO, they spell Kill as Kyurri, they embelish the text with swear words, and apparentley they screwed up the final battle between Killy Sanakan and the huge safeguard. At least we got high quality scans though.

Online Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2018, 01:07:18 PM »
Those new Blame! Translations are terrible IMO, they spell Kill as Kyurri, they embelish the text with swear words, and apparentley they screwed up the final battle between Killy Sanakan and the huge safeguard. At least we got high quality scans though.

Blame's main character is not named "Kill." Kirii and Killy have been acceptable in the past. Also, "Blame!" Itself is a bad translation, since it's pretty obviously supposed to be the onomatopoeia of a gun firing: "BLAM."

Anyway, I have all of the masterworks editions, and they're gorgeous. I wouldn't expect anything close to those from Dark Horse. It sounds like we're getting the same translation (see my post above). And new art from Miura for a localized edition? Theres no precedent for it, so probably not going to happen.
:femto: :slan: :ubik:

Offline MiyamotoPuck

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2018, 04:16:05 PM »
Also, "Blame!" Itself is a bad translation, since it's pretty obviously supposed to be the onomatopoeia of a gun firing: "BLAM."
I have no doubt you must know what you're talking about but are you sure? (I didn't read it yet.) In that case it's probaly not a mistake made by Dark Horse Vertical since it's exactly written "Blame!" on the japanese volumes. Or maybe that's what you meant? :???:

On the subjet of the Deluxe Berserk edition, as long as it's not something official from Miura/Miura's editors I'm not interested. They'll probably reuse the same sources files and stretch them.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 09:09:34 PM by MiyamotoPuck »

Online Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2018, 04:18:37 PM »
I have no doubt you must know what you're talking about but are you sure? (I didn't read it yet.) In that case it's probaly not a mistake made by Dark Horse since it's exactly written "Blame!" on the japanese volumes. Or maybe that's what you meant? :???:

It has nothing to do with Dark Horse (what?). Anyway, Japanese people get English words wrong all the time. Look no further than "Knight of Skeleton"  :ganishka:
:femto: :slan: :ubik:

Offline Bleac

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2018, 04:58:12 PM »
I have no doubt you must know what you're talking about but are you sure? (I didn't read it yet.) In that case it's probaly not a mistake made by Dark Horse since it's exactly written "Blame!" on the japanese volumes. Or maybe that's what you meant? :???:

I knew it's supposed to be pronounced "BLAM" as well.

Offline MiyamotoPuck

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2018, 09:08:08 PM »
It has nothing to do with Dark Horse (what?).
Oh. My bad. I'm not used to english editors and you were also speaking about translations by Dark Horse so I got them confused. Sorry. :farnese:

Anyway, Japanese people get English words wrong all the time. Look no further than "Knight of Skeleton"  :ganishka:

True haha! :serpico:

Offline berserk_prime

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2018, 06:31:29 PM »
Amazon added Volume 2 of the Deluxe edition https://www.amazon.com/Berserk-Deluxe-2-Kentaro-Miura/dp/1506711995.

Will be out on July 9, 2019. Looks like the volumes are gonna be released 4 months apart

Offline therevverend

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2018, 10:36:59 AM »
Americanized Japanese slang translated back into English. The question is whether it means anything in Japanese or they say it because it sounds cool. I'm going to have to listen carefully next time a gun fires to hear if it says Bam! or Blame!
By 'better translations' for Blame! I should have said much better then the original Tokyopop translations. But the manga was never about the dialog...