Griffith and Judas? Fair Comparison?

xavierflair

Red Stripe! Hooray Beer!
A friend and I were discussing Beserk and he brought up how he felt that Griffith was much like Judas (of course this is brought on by the Passion of Christ movie).

While we both agree that Griffith certainly didn't have any kind of Christ-like leader to stab in the back Judas did, we did settle that it was possible that Griffith turning his back on his Hawks or least the ideals they were supposedly standing for, was comparable.

Do you think Griffith sold out his beliefs, his motivation, his "leader" like Judas or would you say there is really no way to compare the two events?

I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on this as neither my friend or I could really come to a solid conclusion.

nir085

Horse and Armor
I haven't seen the "Passion of Christ" film yet, but I know my Catechism and based on that I can say the two are totally incomparable. If you are comparing Judas to Griffith solely because of his betrayal....then Griffith/Judas can be compared to just about every traitor there is...and there are quite a few.

Here are some reasons why they are nothing alike:
1. Griffith had no jesus-like figure to guide him. Griffith was the jesus-like figure of Berserk (that is, until the Great Eclipse).
2. Griffith betrayed a group of people that were under his command. Judas betrayed his leader (only one).
3. I don't think Griffith wanted to initially betray the Band of the Hawk. It was a close call but when Griffith did what he did because of his physical condition, Gutts, and his infinite love for his dream. Judas, on the other hand, didn't betray Jesus for any kind of inflexible ideal, but just because he was a dipshit.
4. Judas repented...sort of, by hanging himself. If the ending of Berserk was like that,...I'd hang myself. Or I would laugh non-stop for an entire month. Even if Griffith does repent at some point, and asks himself what the point is of having a kingdom if he doesn't care about its constituents, I doubt he will hang himself.
5. I don't remember hearing that Judas was a charmer or anything like that.

Top Bottom