My new Tarantula!

SlimJ87D

Apollo
After having 3 other Tarantulas, I thought I'd add a new one, the biggest of them all! The Goliath Birdeater! Just thought I'd share with you guys, maybe you'll want one too!

07-24-05_1845.jpg

07-25-05_2233.jpg

It's about 4 inches right now, just molted! I found out it was a girl (YAY). In about 3 years it'll be 9 to 13 inches big :guts: But right now it's jsut a baby, and is very hard to take care of. This paticular breed is very vicious and mean, mine right after it molted got on it's hine legs and acted like it wanted to box me, it was jumping back and forth side to side with it's front arms curled up in a boxing position. When it's old enough, you could feed them mice and small rats that are 7 inches or so big.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Walter, I think that expresses the sentiments of the majority of the forum. Anyway, that's sweet Slim. I've never been big on spiders, though a tarantula wouldn't be so bad. Unfortunately, I don't think my girlfriend would go for it. She's not very thrilled about bugs in general. I'd like to see it at full size though. I never knew there was a breed that grew to that size. Then again, there are bird eating toads...

SlimJ87D

Apollo
Vaxillus said:
Walter, I think that expresses the sentiments of the majority of the forum.  Anyway, that's sweet Slim.  I've never been big on spiders, though a tarantula wouldn't be so bad.  Unfortunately, I don't think my girlfriend would go for it.  She's not very thrilled about bugs in general.  I'd like to see it at full size though.  I never knew there was a breed that grew to that size.  Then again, there are bird eating toads...

Well if you're looking for a nice Tarantula, you can get a Pink Toe

avicularia_versicolor_008.jpg

They're very nice, and docile. When I opened my Pink Toe's cage, it'd actually crawl into my hand. They're very nice tarantulas and good starters. They spin nice webs and are aerial tarantulas, so they basically live in trees and stuff, very good climbers.

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
I think the only spider bigger than a goliath is the north american toad eating spider. But those are so rare I can't even find any info on them online.

I saw one on animal planet though, it was the size of a cat and was actually flicking iit's needle-like hairs at the camera crew and hissing like a snake.

Is it goliaths or was it a different spider that is also referred to as the "barking" spider? Do they actually sound like they are barking when they hiss?

CnC

Ad Oculos
Focus!

I can't see the mouse's pain! :badbone:

Thats probably the last thing I'd want in my immediate vicinity, actually.

Very pretty spiders... Im kinda interested in these types of creatures myself... just make sure you dont end up like "that guy" who got bitten, poisoned to death and then found eaten by his pet-spiders and all his other various lizards and other insects...

But I guess these ones dont bite... heh...

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
-Player- said:
Very pretty spiders... Im kinda interested in these types of creatures myself... just make sure you dont end up like "that guy" who got bitten, poisoned to death and then found eaten by his pet-spiders and all his other various lizards and other insects...

But I guess these ones dont bite... heh...
Link please! :guts:

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
-Player- said:

Now I know why I only have herbivores...

SlimJ87D

Apollo
Well it's a female. How can you tell? Well I used a magnifying glass used for jewels and stuck it ona digi cam. After I zoomed in on my tarantula's molt (Molt is when they take off their skin to grow larger).

DSC00432.jpg

See this area here?

DSC00438.jpg

If you see that lil open part in the middle, that means it's a girl. THat is usually where sperm would be stored to create eggs I think. Well the male would just have a smooth area instead of a flap.

Kagami

Goo!
That is really fucking cool. Is that some kind of genetic manipulation or some crazy shit like that? Or do these things naturally exist in the wild like that? I can't imagine why being blue would be helpfull to a hunter.

Top Bottom