Hurricane Katrina

CnC

Ad Oculos
Nomad said:
60% of the police department in Orleans and others have officially quit. Thousands of bodies are starting to emerge. Things keep getting worst and worst.

Where are you getting this? I've heard no such thing

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Khorne said:
I`ve read that the money that was supposed to go to repairing the dam went to Iraq instead.......
That's absurd. Where are you reading this, some college paper? Funds for state repairs would be funded by STATE taxes not by FEDERAL taxes. Thus, Bush's boner for Iraq would have no sway in the state's decision to enhance the leevees or not.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, you got me there. But I don't see how we can blame the levees not being up to prime conditions on Iraq. Sounds like a slippery slope. I'm certain there are more factors at work here than "New Orlean's tragedy is because of Bush's oil lust!!" :isidro:

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
Well, it's been underfunded for years, but that's both parties' fault more than anything.

Since Iraq is the big new (well, within the past few years) expense, it's going to get pointed at for causing the shortfall. But honestly, deficit spending isn't anything new in Washington, This program just got cut so the politicians could point to it as an example as them valiantly trying to balance the budget. Doubtful they'll use it as an example now.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Woland said:
This program just got cut so the politicians could point to it as an example as them valiantly trying to balance the budget. Doubtful they'll use it as an example now.
Hehe. It seems to me that there would be other projects more worthy of being cut in the national budget than disaster preventatives like the levees. Like, say, Medicaid and Medicare for one. But hey, that's just one man's opinion. :guts:

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
Yeah, but disaster prevention wasn't politically sexy (I'd venture to say it is now), so it doesn't have supporters like the Medi-programs. I'd rather they withdrew from Iraq and repealed Bush's tax cuts*. The money spent on these projects is a drop in the bucket compared to those.

*And maybe actually balance the budget or run a surplus. And have cows jump over the moon. :troll:

P.S. The only good reason to specifically point some blame at the Iraqi war is just the fact that so many guardsmen are over there, and they're the ones who usually handle situations like this.

CnC

Ad Oculos
"the reporters need to stop reporting and help people off their roofs."

yea, great idea, cartoon squirrel. great idea. ...thats got to be the most retarded idea I've heard.

If anything the reporters should keep reporting so that every bumblefuck american will donate aid (not trucks, money).

I know the people, including a few of the anchors, who work at the TV station here. They're getting feeds of cops participating in the looting, corpses at the convention center, all kind of fucked up shit. They're most assuredly NOT exploiting the story to get ratings!

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
When this is done I can see the lifetime/USA made for tv movie coming! I predict Suzan Summer and/or Lorenzo Lamus (spelling?) to be in it!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
When this is done I can see the lifetime/USA made for tv movie coming! I predict Suzan Summer and/or Lorenzo Lamus (spelling?) to be in it!
And starring Horatio Sans as Katrina.

Nobunaga

Roll the Bones!
Why wasn´t New Orleans evacuated? If a worst case scenario was already made, why people didn´t just run for their lives before the hurricane hit?

(No that´s not a retorical question, where I live we don´t have almost any information about the Katrina catastrophore(did I got that right :p?) and I was wondering...)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Nobunaga said:
Why wasn´t New Orleans evacuated? If a worst case scenario was already made, why people didn´t just run for their lives before the hurricane hit?

(No that´s not a retorical question, where I live we don´t have almost any information about the Katrina catastrophore(did I got that right :p?) and I was wondering...)
It was evacuated. Some people chose to stay and/or had no place to evacuate to. Those that stayedlikely didn't think it would be as bad as was forecast. Really, they couldn't have seen the true scope of the destruction that would come. But... personally, I would have started walking.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
E.coli was found in the waters this morning.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/06/katrina.impact/index.html

Where are they going to store/purify the water they started pumping yesterday? Space?

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
House wise... the states needs to take some pointers from Okinawa... All the houses are made out of concrete... the power lines are run underground. We had a Super Typhoon almost hit us and it was much stronger then Katrina. No one even cares over here. People still go out and party cause nothing really happens when Typhoons hit over here. Its pretty entertaining actaully.

As for flooding... well the whole, lets build shit below sea level doesnt help them much now does it. :SK:

Top Bottom