Shadow of the Colossus

Just bought the game yest. and beat 5 colossi (Sp?) I was interested but unsure whether or not to buy but i read this thread and went out on a limb. I have to say its a really cool game....i like the fact its just about beatin those big mo fos and not lil annoying enemies in between....COOL GAME? ONE QUESTION. How do u raise ur health bar up?! Haven't tried to really figure out yet (not much time cuz of work) So help would be appreciated! Thanks SK

CnC

Ad Oculos
Proj2501 said:

correct!

I'm on 13 now (I hardly ever get time to sit down and play video games nowadays), and I agree its extremely cool looking. Sure, I agree its relaxing, but at the cost of it still not being all that challenging. Sure, I've died about twice now and the greatest amount of time it takes to defeat a colossi is spent figuring out how to mount him in the first place. But aside from that there still isn't too much challenge.

Are the last 3 just friggin' impossible or something?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
correct!

I'm on 13 now (I hardly ever get time to sit down and play video games nowadays), and I agree its extremely cool looking. Sure, I agree its relaxing, but at the cost of it still not being all that challenging. Sure, I've died about twice now and the greatest amount of time it takes to defeat a colossi is spent figuring out how to mount him in the first place. But aside from that there still isn't too much challenge.

Are the last 3 just friggin' impossible or something?
I didn't think it was that easy. My palms were sweating by the end of each fight, which is more than I can say for most games. Though, I'll concede that the challenge is in strategy, not the execution. Each colossus had a strategy, and the execution of it was logical once you chose the correct course of action.

I've read some online reviews with complaints such as "there weren't enough characters." Horse shit. More characters would have spoiled the isolation and mystery elements of the game, as well as conflate the game into something it's not. I've grown to expect people to put traditional expectations on such a unique game. But, it's still frustrating to hear them whine when something this rare and amazing comes out. And all complaints regarding the straightforward nature of the story are to be thrown out the window once you reach the brilliant ending.

Proj2501 said:
ONE QUESTION. How do u raise ur health bar up?! Haven't tried to really figure out yet (not much time cuz of work) So help would be appreciated! Thanks SK
Look for the large trees in various parts of the map. There's fruit growing on them. Tasty Fruit. For the stamina bar, I hear that white-tailed lizards enjoy hanging around the save temples. That white tail would look mighty fine on your belt, wouldn't it?

PS: Obligatory-if-you-haven't-played-ICO-yet-you-simply-must.

Thanx walter....after posting my question I went and discovered the fruit and the white tail temple lizards.....SO, feel free to smack me.... Im currently facing the 'Bull' Colossus who's afraid of fire....hes pissing me off!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Thanx walter....after posting my question I went and discovered the fruit and the white tail temple lizards.....SO, feel free to smack me.... Im currently facing the 'Bull' Colossus who's afraid of fire....hes pissing me off!
That's one of the more frustrating ones for sure... he can pin you so you keep getting tackled. What's he do when you wave the torch in front of him?

Btw, SLOW THE FUCK DOWN. Youre already at the 14th colossi, in one day?! Take your time dude. These guys only make one game every 4 years. I spent about 3 weeks on it, killing a collosi every now and then, hunting down fruit and lizards, checking out the awesome views on the map.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Btw, SLOW THE FUCK DOWN. Youre already at the 14th colossi, in one day?! Take your time dude. These guys only make one game every 4 years.

Well it's not the fault of the people playing if the game is so short... I understand what you mean of course, but you can't blame the player for spending time on it and progressing quickly. :guts:

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Aazealh said:
Well it's not the fault of the people playing if the game is so short... I understand what you mean of course, but you can't blame the player for spending time on it and progressing quickly. :guts:
Yet at the same time, you move to fast through something, you miss the finer details. :serpico:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Proj2501 said:

was it a bull or was it more like a lion? anyways the one whos actually not all that big? wasn't it the one that was scared of fire? that wasn't 14, was it?
I've already beaten that one and I thought I was on 13. I'm on the dragon in the sky one, which one is that?

Just beat it!....the smaller bosses are a royal pain in the arse!!!!! LOL i did kinda go thro it fast, only cuz it was soo good......and whats with the ending?!?!?!?! AHHHH!!! Someone PM me so we can b.s. about it!!!! Now...my next game to get is God of War....from now on I vow only to play AWESOME GAMES!!!! No really, can anyone else suggest some games that are as enjoyable as Shadow etc.? Spanx SK! :guts:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Proj2501 said:
Now...my next game to get is God of War....

Excellent choice...

If you haven't played Ico do so.
Also, play Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.... s'friggin' awesome. Not enough people played that game

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Wise from your grave.

So, I just got this game, and beat it in like a day, unfortunately. Despite its length it really is something wonderful. I dunno if it lives up to the hype it's generated (not sure if any game could), but I consider it a worthwhile purchase, and am definately going to buy Ico when I get some more cash.

I happened to stumble across info that the european version of this game came with an additional disc with artwork and stuff. Anyone have any more information on that? Also, apparently there was a making of sotc video as well? I'm not sure if that is the 'special NICO DVD' that I see on japanese P2p networks or not.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wereallmad said:
Wise from your grave.

So, I just got this game, and beat it in like a day, unfortunately. Despite its length it really is something wonderful. I dunno if it lives up to the hype it's generated (not sure if any game could), but I consider it a worthwhile purchase, and am definately going to buy Ico when I get some more cash.

I happened to stumble across info that the european version of this game came with an additional disc with artwork and stuff. Anyone have any more information on that? Also, apparently there was a making of sotc video as well? I'm not sure if that is the 'special NICO DVD' that I see on japanese P2p networks or not.
Glad you liked the game.  Beating it in one day? Ouch... Even as much as I praise the game, I think it would have gotten boring doing it all at once.  Nevertheless, now that you've beaten it you must... climb the tower. :void:

After doing some research, I can't find any information that says the PAL's extra disc is different than the japanese NICO DVD.  The odds of the PAL release being unique are pretty low if you ask me.  However, the NICO DVD sounds great.  Here's a lengthy description of it that I found on some UK forums:

The menu is stylistically similar to the inlay in that it features an etched/worn out backdrop which fits in with the ICO/Nico/Colossus aesthetic.

The first part presents all the trailers that have been produced for the game, across three main territories (Japan, America, Europe). Most of you will have probably already seen many of these but since I stayed away from media on Colossus until its release, these were new to me. It was intriguing to watch the changes slowly progress from the early trailers to the later ones. For example... Mono having short hair (I presume they either changed this because she resembled Yorda too closely, or they intended to add extra hair at a later stage - I remember Ueda mentioning in an interview a while ago that they had trouble implementing long hair for Yorda). Anyway, the differences between the 2004 trailers and the later 2005 trailers are quite marked.

The second part of the disc contains the main attraction in the form of the internal pilot video used to present the conceptual vision for project Nico (which as we all know became Shadow of the Colossus). Put simply, it looks absolutely amazing, and uses many of the same sunlight effects that were implemented to convey the sky to the player in ICO, and to be honest, the sky in Nico's video is wonderfully vast. In some ways it appears (aesthetically) better than Colossus (the clouds, sunlight, open-plan environment), in others (such as animation/colossi skin/character detail) it looks worse. As for what happens... well it involves a bunch of horned riders (who look like the kin of ICO) that ambush a monster similar to the second colossi in Shadow, and bring it down in a desert that stretches on for miles. In many ways, it possesses a slightly different art style to the final game, and in certain aspects probably couldn't be properly realised on the PS2 - though it has upped my anticipation further for what the team are going to do with the extra power afforded to them with the PS3.

As well as this pilot video, there is another video featuring a collage of internal screenings which reveals the development of Colossus beyond its conceptual stages and into something that would resemble the final product. Numerous HUD/colossi changes are shown, as well as environments that were either altered or cut. Again, it's fascinating to see the constant level of refinement that the game went under all the way until release. The production looks like an organic process from beginning to end - planning appears to have been continually re-integrated while development progressed.

The third part of the disc contains high resolution artwork of the final release, focusing mostly on the environment and the colossi. As you would expect, a lot of the artwork shows off the game from a number of acute angles. Along with this are a separate set of pictures which present concept drawings and storyboards outlining character design/monster design/level design and specific cutscenes.

The last part of the disc is dedicated to ICO and features two Japanese TV trailers and one final special video.

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Yeah, it was way too fast. I don't think I really saw the game for what it was untill I rose above the clouds and saw the final colossus. Had I from the beginning, I would have taken my time.

Apparently there were a ton of things I missed, such as every single powerup, a good portion of the controlls that aren't in the manual, as well as the secret garden. I intend to go back after beating MGS3 subsistence (which I'm finding kind of unsatisfying) and really give a good playthrough.

Thanks for the info on the second disc. I'll probably download it, as it doesn't sound all that easy to get.

BTW, howcome the US version of Ico has such faggy boxart compared to the original?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wereallmad said:
Apparently there were a ton of things I missed, such as every single powerup, a good portion of the controlls that aren't in the manual, as well as the secret garden.
Yeah, I found out the powerups by luck, and milked the shit out of them. You actually get a stamina boost for every Colossi you defeat, that includes multiple playthroughs. So, after beating the game twice, and eating several lizards, your stamina bar is off the screen. The point? Climing the tower.
BTW, howcome the US version of Ico has such faggy boxart compared to the original?
It's a testament to American advertisers being clueless how to handle such a unique game. The japanese cover is indeed, perfect in my opinion.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
I'm home sick and rented a couple movies, and decided to pick up Shadow of the Colossus.

and MAN, I'm glad I did. I was a fan of ICO, absolutely loved it's artistic style. But I have to say, SotC just blows it away. I'm on the 7th Colossi, and am trying to slow down a bit and just explore the environment. I absolutely love the game. It maintains the artistic feel of ICO, but also incorporates this "epic" and cinematic feel.

Excellent game, I'm going to buy this one :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Between the 13th and 14th Colossi, I probably spent a good 8 hours just riding around exploring, for the pure fun of it. The environment has a lot of areas that don't necessarily coorelate to the gameplay, but are there just for exploration. Gorgeous stuff. Check out the coasts.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Walter said:
Between the 13th and 14th Colossi, I probably spent a good 8 hours just riding around exploring, for the pure fun of it.  The environment has a lot of areas that don't necessarily coorelate to the gameplay, but are there just for exploration.  Gorgeous stuff. Check out the coasts.

That right there is the real fun  of the game. Just riding around, exploring, and finding interesting ways to throw yourself and Agro off a cliff. (Hint: exploding arrows)

Edit: Oops! I forgot how exciting fruit tree and lizard tail hunting was!
Oh, and the boss battles were fun also.  :guts:
The big open water area where you fought that one colossus gave me the chills.
You know, the one with the "teeth" on his head that you hit to control him.
Great game, one of my faves of 2005.

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
thanks for creating the thread, otherwise the game wouldn't have caught my attention... and that'd have been quite a pity.

the graphical detail and general atmosphere of SOTC is pretty much unlike that of the majority of all videogames around.
one detail that deserves to be mentioned is the motion of the horse - riding the horse feels incredibly realistic IMO. the creators obviously put a lot of time in figuring out how to bring this particular experience this close to the actual thing.
the colossi have awesome looks - or should i say they're handsome :guts:

IMO the game ain't _easy_ i find most of the colossi to be decent challenges actually.
the music and the sound-design (horse and environment) are well done.

the only thing i would have to critisise here is that the gameplay is quite repetetive. sure every colossus is unique and all but the procedure is the same over and over again: find colossus, figure out a way to defeat it, execute. if the game had also brought some kind of storyline it probably would have ended up among the coolest and most special games i've ever played.

-TS

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
While generally I agree with your comment that the game feels repetitive, I just felt I should say that all games that focus on boss-battles have that routine. Find boss, find weakness, exploit weakness, repeat. The gameplay was fairly repetitive, yes, but I loved every moment of it :) To me it wasn't a "bad" repetitiveness, but rather one where you really got a feel for the game.

From the very start of this game, it's evident that the storyline is key to understanding your character's purpose and objective. It's important that one pays attention to the first few segments of dialogue between the lone warrior and the gods that guard the realm of the dead. Everything is spoken in a strange language and subtitled in English, grabbing your attention and holding fast. The game progresses after your character and the gods decide on a wager. Obviously the objective is to win the wager because at the end of it, the gods promise to return the soul of the dead maiden and therefore, bring her back to the land of the living. But to do this, you must risk everything to defeat 16 idols.

The storyline is short but sweet. Pretty basic concept, but I like how they went with it. There IS a storyline, it's just not too extravagant.

I also loved Agro's animation and general feel. The horseback riding in the game was ourstanding. I loved ridding towards a cliff and right when you get to the edge, how Agro sort of shrieks and bucks away from the edge, just like a real horse would react.

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
While I agree that the game is kind of repetitive, I personally am not bothered by it. It's kind of like masturbation for me, I just don't get tired of it. Wait a minute... tenatiously gripping a rock hard giant as it writhes and undulates, plunging a sword deep into a spurting magic seal surrounded by tufts of matted hair..... After the giant collapses, there is even a dark afterglow. Was Jack Thomspon right afterall?!? Damn you for corrupting my mind!!!

I have to disagree with the comment about adding more to the story. Personally I think if they had changed a bit of it it would have been awful, especially after playing and beating ico (took about a day, again XD ). At first I didn't like the ending of sotc, but knowing that the events of sotc are responsible for the ending of Ico makes it so much sweeter. I love walking on the beach from the end of Ico in sotc knowing that one day Ico and yorda will find that beach, and the ruins of the tower. Find the remains of the collosi, and maybe live out the rest of their lives hunting lizards and eating magical fruit, oblivious to the Wanderer's sacrifice 56 generations ago. Does the Wanderer's spirit still inhabit those lands? Could he finally rest upon seeing the result of his actions? . To me, the simplicity of the plot makes the game speak even louder. I can't wait for the next game in the series.

Wally, you gotta code some better spoiler tags.

Top Bottom