Can someone post the concept art of the Black Swordsman?

SlimJ87D

Apollo
Thanks guys. Yes, I've been purchasing the American ones, and I think I have one of the messed up ZODD ones... lol, but yeah, importing is out of my budget right now... just started college right when i get my Visa Debit card  :judo:

Well I just wanted to show my friend this pic since I told her about Guts wearing an eyepatch, and she wanted to see it.

CnC

Ad Oculos
SlimJ87D said:
Well I just wanted to show my friend this pic since I told her about Guts wearing an eyepatch, and she wanted to see it.

I'll show you guts with an eyepatch if you show me ______

classic pick-up line...

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
Not just the eyepatch, but the set of the shoulders, the glowering angst, it all screams "I am a prototypical shonen character! My career is doomed!"

Good thing Miura-sensei published with YA. :troll:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Trashcan said:
Good thing Miura-sensei published with YA. :troll:

Berserk was first released in Animal House, not Young Animal. And seeing how the Berserk Prototype won a manga contest, I'm not sure Guts' career was ever doomed. Not to mention that the prototype was published in Animal House shortly before the actual first episode, as a kind of preview.

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
Berserk was first released in Animal House, not Young Animal. And seeing how the Berserk Prototype won a manga contest, I'm not sure Guts' career was ever doomed.
Yeah, but that was one contest. Imagine if he'd continued it as a shonen title, with asswad editors hounding him: "No way! This plot is too complex for twelve year-old schoolkids! Dumb it down, NOW! Oh yeah, and add a tournament that lasts for five tankos and power levels." The horror! :isidro:

I'd forgotten about the Animal House release(s). I need to check back into that.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Trashcan said:
Yeah, but that was one contest. Imagine if he'd continued it as a shonen title

Not everybody wins contests; it shows the concept worked. And Berserk just naturally took a seinen turn from what Miura said, it's not like he had a revelation and decided to suddenly change its targeted demographic.

In other words, the series didn't become what it is because of the publisher's influence.

I guess the only plus, if there was one, was we could have seen Guts kicking Goku, Yugioh, and all the others Shonen character's combined asses in Jump Superstars. Ahh well, probably would have been a totally different guts anyway.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
Ahh well, probably would have been a totally different guts anyway.

I'll stress again that the character and the series naturally became what they are once Miura deepened and refined the story. It just wasn't cut to be a shônen apparently, that's why it's not one... The prototype didn't feature that many shônen elements itself actually, and that's as far as it ever went.

Anyway, to be in Jump Superstars, the only real requisite was to be pre-published in Shônen Jump or one of its variants. I like it better that way myself, I don't need to see Guts awkwardly opposed to these other characters. That's all getting a bit off topic though. :SK:

Top Bottom