Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

I am LOVING this game! It feels and plays like those oldschool RPGs. It has the same elements as well, like going into someone's house and just opening their closets for gold and all that. You also have to work hard for your money, starting out gaining ~7 coins per battle when the best weapons cost at least 230 coins. And the enemies in this game is the BEST! They're so beautifully designed and original. Not only are the designs original but the names are hilarious. So far, I've run into some named One Knight Stand, Buffalo Bill (a bull with little chicken wings), and Jail Cat (you have to see this one to understand it.) This is my favorite RPG of 2005, topping Digital Devil Saga 2.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Yeah, people have been REALLY loving this game. I would consider picking this one up but it promised so many hours of gameplay that I don't have time for. Btw Tell Me Why, I always thought your avatar was the coolest (Alabasta Luffy) and I have been A big fan of One Piece for a while now. Anyway, yeah this game does look rocking awesome (Never been a fan of Toriyma, but game still looks neat) and I hope you enjoy it.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Tell Me Why said:
Thanks man. I'm a HUGE fan of One Piece. It's like, tied for my favorite manga with Berserk. Do you keep up with the recent manga chapters?

No dude, I've only kept up with the ones in English. Got up to episode 120 something in the anime. Have yet to see Afro Luffy in action. Very disappointed

FateINwaiting

Berserk must be mine!
I bought this game alonf with Magnacarta but i been only playing DQ8 what i love the best is that its simple and it isnt over the top!! back to oldschool rpgs rock i want more like this!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
That game actually interests me, which is some sort of exploit for a PS2 RPG. It definitely has to do with the "old school" focus, and I might end up buying it whenever it'll come out in Europe.

N

Ng51386

Aazealh said:
That game actually interests me, which is some sort of exploit for a PS2 RPG. It definitely has to do with the "old school" focus, and I might end up buying it whenever it'll come out in Europe.

From what I hear, it was a very good seller in Japan. It's as old school as a RPG can get nowadays, considering everything seems to be real time battling, whereas this is turn based completely. There was a special controller for this where it was some blue thing, cost a lot for it, and it's just a PS2 controller.

Maybe they should had waited for the PS3 to come out before releasing this game in any country :serpico:

The main reason why I got this game was purely for the turn based battling and the fact that it seemed to be one of the few good turn based RPGs out there that was newly released. Does anyone else happen to know any other good turn based RPGs that are newer?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ng51386 said:
There was a special controller for this where it was some blue thing, cost a lot for it, and it's just a PS2 controller.

Yeah, the Slime controller (refers to the series' mascot). I found it pretty funny when it came out actually, and it only costs around $50.

att00021.jpg

N

Ng51386

Aazealh said:
Yeah, the Slime controller (refers to the series' mascot). I found it pretty funny when it came out actually, and it only costs around $50.

50 dollars for a PS2 controller... No thank you, no matter how much fun the controller is, it's just not worth it :troll:

It is quite interesting though... The problem is the timing of the products. If they were to release it is as a PS3 product and controller I'm sure things would be quite different, it's just that with the near release of the PS3 the controller for 50 dollars just isnt worth it at all, if it were cheaper on the other hand though.... Like say around 20-30 dollars, I would had considered it much much more.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ng51386 said:
50 dollars for a PS2 controller... No thank you, no matter how much fun the controller is, it's just not worth it

Well, normal PS2 controllers cost $25, it's not that much of a stretch. And actually, I just checked and amazon.com has it for sale at $39.

Ng51386 said:
The problem is the timing of the products. If they were to release it is as a PS3 product and controller I'm sure things would be quite different

The timing? What are you talking about? That game came out last year in Japan, on November 27, 2004. And the Slime controller, released by a third party (Hori) at the same time, was quite a success. Don't worry, they're not desperate for you to buy it, especially not now... It was a gimmick for the long time fans, and it did well in that sense.

Ng51386 said:
it's just that with the near release of the PS3 the controller for 50 dollars just isnt worth it at all, if it were cheaper on the other hand though...

Hahaha, the "near" release yeah. :schierke: I'll be looking forward to the PS3's $50+ boomerang controllers too, if Sony ever decides to reveal their "final design" that is.

N

Ng51386

For 50 dollars would you buy a PS2 controller when you know full well that the PS3 will be coming out in a matter of months. True, it might be more than 2-3 months, but still are you willing to pay 50 dollars for another PS2 controller?

And 25 and 50 both are quite a difference. In fact it's twice the difference.

True the game was released in Japan over a year ago, but for the American market it was a bad strategic time. Why not halt it, create the game for the PS3 for Americans, then have a PS3 controller, far more people would had bought the controller, and you would gain more profit from it. Then you can re-release the PS3 American version onto a Japanese format. Dragon Quest VIII-2 or whatever.

But I'm not talking about the Japanese release timing, I'm talking about the American release timing, and even more so the European release timing. It just wasnt good for that market, it couldnt be helped much, but it's just a business fact that it was.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ng51386 said:
For 50 dollars would you buy a PS2 controller when you know full well that the PS3 will be coming out in a matter of months. True, it might be more than 2-3 months, but still are you willing to pay 50 dollars for another PS2 controller?

What, you didn't read my post or you just didn't understand it? It's funny though because you're highlighting one of Sony's mistakes about the PS3. They announced it as "coming soon" so that people would wait for it instead of buying the Xbox 360, but all they managed to do is lower PS2 sales.

Ng51386 said:
True the game was released in Japan over a year ago, but for the American market it was a bad strategic time.

Since when has the American market been important to Japan? Be happy that it came out in the US at all. I'll repeat it again: that controller was for hardcore Dragon Quest fans, and it was a success in that niche. Nobody cares whether some casual gamer in the USA buys it or not, and Hori probably didn't expect it to be the case.

Ng51386 said:
Why not halt it, create the game for the PS3 for Americans, then have a PS3 controller, far more people would had bought the controller, and you would gain more profit from it. Then you can re-release the PS3 American version onto a Japanese format. Dragon Quest VIII-2 or whatever.

Completely irrealistic and borderline stupid. Why did you even bother typing this? You have no way to know whether this controller sells well or not in the USA, nor if it would sell significantly more if it was for the PS3. And again, it was made by Hori, not Square-Enix, so they have no reason to care about its release on foreign markets. Re-developing the game to sell the controller? What a joke... So many similar products are exclusive to Japan, it just makes no difference to them.

Ng51386 said:
I'm talking about the American release timing, and even more so the European release timing. It just wasnt good for that market, it couldnt be helped much, but it's just a business fact that it was.

And you know what the release date of the PS3 is for the USA and Europe? No. I also doubt your opinion on marketing moves to matter much to Hori or Square-Enix honestly, and as a matter of fact I don't find it very pertinent, nor convincing.

Now how about we talk about the game itself and stop this nonsense?

N

Ng51386

Does anything we say on these forums matter at all to the ones who really make the decisions? It doesnt matter if it's a good idea or not, it just wont go anywhere if they're stemming from these or any forums if no one has connections to the people actually making the decisions.

In business no matter what though, you try and make the most profit. Even if it were a third party company, it would want to want to market it's product so that it gains more profit, otherwise what's the point of even doing it. True the targeted audience was to the hardcore gamers, and it did it well to do so, but still if you can get others to buy it, why wouldnt you want to?

If the PS2 sales are dropping it's not just Sony's fault, it's Sony's and Microsoft's fault. Not only that, how old is the PS2? Do you honestly expect it to go that strong, and to compete with the next generation console by Xbox 360? No one cares if something is coming soon, in fact many people have both Xbox and PS2, so either way they would get the 360 and PS3 in the end, not only that, they dominate the Japan market.

Completely irrealistic and borderline stupid. Why did you even bother typing this? You have no way to know whether this controller sells well or not in the USA, nor if it would sell significantly more if it was for the PS3. And again, it was made by Hori, not Square-Enix, so they have no reason to care about its release on foreign markets. Re-developing the game to sell the controller? What a joke... So many similar products are exclusive to Japan, it just makes no difference to them.

True, but still if you're going to market it even in America at least try to do something well with it. Then again it might not had been cost efficient to do it in America by remaking it for PS3. This is just from a business standpoint, the one that would be best to make a stronger profit.

Everything I'm speaking is from a business standpoint, all of which do make sense. Whether or not they will actually happen is a different story, especially since I'm not working in their marketing department, but they are sound argument from a business stand point. These forums arent meant to actually bring ideas into things that will actually happen, but they're just here to be discussed in a rational manner and not to be simply dismissed just because they sound like nonsense, especially when you dont give a reason why it's a bad marketing idea.

True the idea of reformating the game to a PS3 would be a bad one because the cost to do that would be bad, but it would be an intriguing idea to being the higher abilities of PS3 to that game, but of course we dont know when exactly the PS3 is to be released, and it could be 6 months, but still if it were 1 month away, would you market this game for PS2 with a PS2 controller?

----------------------------

Dragon Quest VIII is suppose to be an amazing game, and I cant wait to open it up, I just havent had much time to do it with work and everything. I usually do these forums and work, lol. Oh, and I'm trying to finish FFVII before I start Dragon Quest VIII

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ng51386 said:
Does anything we say on these forums matter at all to the ones who really make the decisions?

That's not the point, just that you being condescending towards these companies is a bit out of place as you have no particular knowledge on the matter. Simply said, you're not qualified to deem what is a good marketing decision or not in this context because you don't know enough about it (and it's natural, neither do I). We're not privy to the behind-the-scene motives and really, from what I heard the Slime controller was a success and it met their expectations. Why then bother to debate their decision?

Ng51386 said:
In business no matter what though, you try and make the most profit. Even if it were a third party company, it would want to want to market it's product so that it gains more profit, otherwise what's the point of even doing it. True the targeted audience was to the hardcore gamers, and it did it well to do so, but still if you can get others to buy it, why wouldnt you want to?

Yeah, but you have to take into consideration all the rest. Distribution, re-producing items after they're sold out, etc. Hori's not a small third party constructor, they're not stupid either. They know that it won't sell much to "normal" gamers, and I know that even if it was a PS3 controller I wouldn't buy it, same for a lot of other people. Besides PS3 controllers aren't even finalized yet, they're wireless, etc. Endless hassle and huge delays for an almost worthless market in their point of view. Just selling 2000 more units wouldn't be worth all the side costs. Besides redesigning stuff is ridiculous, I mean nobody would even seriously think about it.

That said, nobody knows yet when the PS3 will be released, it might very well be 2007 in the USA, so... Really, I don't think they made a mistake, the game came late because they didn't care enough to localize it quicker, I think that says enough. They don't care, because they make their real profits in Japan.

Ng51386 said:
If the PS2 sales are dropping it's not just Sony's fault, it's Sony's and Microsoft's fault.

Oh yeah, that's not the problem really, I was just pointing out the kind of reaction their strategy is provoking.

Ng51386 said:
Not only that, how old is the PS2? Do you honestly expect it to go that strong, and to compete with the next generation console by Xbox 360?

Don't be too quick to bury the PS2 against the X360. We've yet to see how good the X360 will fare, all that buzz around it right now was planned from beginning to end, and is mostly bullshit.

Ng51386 said:
No one cares if something is coming soon

Well, you care, that's what this discussion is about. :void:

Ng51386 said:
if you're going to market it even in America at least try to do something well with it. Then again it might not had been cost efficient to do it in America by remaking it for PS3. This is just from a business standpoint, the one that would be best to make a stronger profit.

Of course it wouldn't have been cost efficient, I think that's obvious really. As for doing something good with the controller... I really don't think they care, it's been released state-wide and that's probably already a big effort that gave them more trouble than what it's worth. From a business standpoint it's a far-fetched idea that didn't happen for good reasons, I'd be grateful if we could leave it at that.

Ng51386 said:
Everything I'm speaking is from a business standpoint, all of which do make sense.

I'm afraid I can't agree with what you say making sense, see what I previously said.

Ng51386 said:
These forums arent meant to actually bring ideas into things that will actually happen, but they're just here to be discussed in a rational manner and not to be simply dismissed just because they sound like nonsense, especially when you dont give a reason why it's a bad marketing idea.

What, you're trying to tell me what the forums are for? :schierke: And I believe I gave you good reasons why your idea isn't applicable, even though I don't think it needs to be said... It's ok to disagree, but I don't think you should insist too much about it.

Ng51386 said:
True the idea of reformating the game to a PS3 would be a bad one because the cost to do that would be bad

The cost, the delay, the idea because it would be a remake and wouldn't sell as well, everything. In the meantime they're making Dragon Quest IX for the PS3.

Ng51386 said:
if it were 1 month away, would you market this game for PS2 with a PS2 controller?

Even if it were one month, they would have done the same thing. Because even wasting time thinking about it while they could be doing better stuff would be a loss of profit to them. They just sent some dusty stock of controllers to the US along with the localized version of the game, that's all.

Anyway, I'm afraid the discussion won't be getting anywhere if we go on, so let's try to conclude it shortly please.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
All this argument for the fucking Slime controller? Jesus...

att00021.jpg

It's happy. Why can't we be?​

Anyway, the game looks tempting, despite the Toriyama art (just my personal opinion). I haven't played a fun RPG in oh... about 5 years. I'll give it a rent.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Rather than read the whole argument over the slime controller I will just say that it is violently cute and I couldn't see a Dragon Quest fan not wanting it. Hell, I want it and I never once played a Dragon Quest game in my life. Maybe I will give this game a go.

N

Ng51386

HawaiianStallion said:
There's an awesome 50 dollar demo of FF XII that comes with a copy of Dragon Quest VIII.

Dont you mean for a 50 dollar copy of Dragon Quest VIII you get a demo of FF12 :p

CnC

Ad Oculos
Surely we have achieved a utopia in our society when the only thing we have to quabble about is the Slime Controllertm...
:schierke:

incognitoX

you fail me
Ah! Now I definitely want to play this game! :beast:

I loved the original Dragon Quest (Warrior) games for the NES, never played the seventh one for psx though. From the negative reviews I read about 7, I was sorta doubtful about any of the future games.

The game also is very pleasing in appearance. Usually most cell-shaded games look rather unappealing to me but this game seems to pull it off nicely.

I'll definitley need to pick this one up after I get the
DS and Dawn of Sorrow.

incognitoX

you fail me
handsome rakshas said:
Good choice, after Castlevania. Trust me incognitoX, you will not be disappointed

Yeah, I noticed you are quite the Castlevania fanboy. :serpico:

I saw the review of this game on G4 and was floored. Plus I remember Aaz basically selling me on a DS after the whole "DS vs PSP which 1 is beTTer lolz!" topic from a while back.

It also helps my work sells the nes castlvania gameboy advance game for cheap. I'll need to pick that up as well.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Surely we have achieved a utopia in our society when the only thing we have to quabble about is the Slime Controllertm...

Don't be condescending to the Slime controller you punk! :puck:

incognitoX said:
I saw the review of this game on G4 and was floored. Plus I remember Aaz basically selling me on a DS after the whole "DS vs PSP which 1 is beTTer lolz!" topic from a while back.

Good choice, you won't regret it. :SK: Besides a new Castlevania game is coming out next year on the DS to commemorate the 20 years of the series. That and you have countless great games to play apart from that, from Sonic Rush to Kirby: Canvas' Curse, Advance Wars DS or Ouendan and Mario Kart DS. Not to forget Metroid and New Super Mario Bros coming out early next year, with games like Children of Mana planned later on. I'd list them all but it would take too long. :beast:

Anyway that Dragon Quest VIII definitely looks good. If only PS2 games had no geographic zone limitations (like on the NDS *hint, hint*), I'd import it.

Top Bottom