WIP Commisioned Headlong berserk armor kit.

H'okay... :serpico:

While I'm waiting for the wooden base for Zoddy boy to show up in the mail, I'm going to start prep work on this lil' beauty.

For the wooden base for this one, I'm going to need a high res scan of the brand, so if you find one about the net or if you could upload one somewhere it'd be much appreciated if you'd PM me with URL's. :chomp:

I'm begining prep work tonight but there won't be any pics til I've come clear of that stage ... :carcus:

More to come...

CnC

Ad Oculos
Stupendous! Spectacular! Awe-inspiring!
I love what you've done with this one!
[/sarcasm]

pics would be nice.

that aside, good luck.

Well, CnC .. I did have a specific aim with this first post and that was to get hold of a good enough pic of the Brand.
I kinda' figured this'd be the best place to ask since 600613 let me down terribly...  :judo:

CnC

Ad Oculos
ah, I see. Well, I still wish you good luck.

As for the brand:

reference:

brand_collage.jpg

And an old OLD (aka not very good) vector version I did a few years back, blown up to a large size (this can be bigger if you even want it):

DOWNLOAD

Hope that can be of better help than my previous post :troll:

Thanks dude! =)

I made up this concept pic of what the brand will look like on the wooden base:

brand_pattern_concept.jpg

and the base in total will be something like this...

base_brand_pattern_concept_.JPG

Wooden oval with a cracked rock formation on which Guts will be standing.
The wooden edge will be profiled in a suitable style (not yet determined) and the rocks will be cast in plaster from Woodland Scenics *natural rock* molds.

More to come...  :guts:

CnC

Ad Oculos
yup, much better than my old brand. I like it. I tend to like the brand depicted a little less vertically stretched, but the "flames" work pretty well.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I'm really excited to see what you have in store for us, Joa! The concept art of the base looks promising, as usual. Can't wait to see some pics. :serpico:

Yami no Tsubasa said:
Great job with the base :zodd: , I wish I could do one of these by my own... how much do you usually spend on materials ?

How much I spend on material? Not sure I follow you there... ^^
Also, this base was ordered from Dr. H over at the Garage Kit Japan forum, so I won't take credit except for the design. The brand is laser engraved into the base and powdercoated, giving you that exclusive look...

***Bumpage***

Ok, I'm back after a long break due to me'n my fiancée's late summer move/renovation/sale.
I'm finally putting my new hobby room together and will get back to this project right after the week end (posibly during it  :guts: depending on how fast I am putting the shelves together and such).
So, Ryan .. soon he's Bloody FINALLY heading your way! :carcus:

Meanwhile, here's a look at my *stash corner* (not yet completed, I might add):

stash_01.jpg

Let's awaken the Beast that lies within that chunk of metal armor, shall we?  :serpico:

Well, I guss we're now officially *moved in* as I for the first time sat down in my new and improved hobby room...  :guts:

My very good friend Håkan came over for an evening filled with plastic women, Guts and sharp knives:
pyssling.JPG

that's me .. in the foreground.. with the beret...

Ok, so when I was asked to do this kit (which is a recast I quite recently noticed...) I debated wether I could alter the pose a bit as I quite frankly think it is a little too "stiff" out of the box:

full.jpg

Thanks Derek for lending me the pic. Nope, I didn't ask but I know you'd approve...  :casca:

So, after some doodling with the parts...
breakdown.JPG

..I made some cuts and fixed the arms at slightly more dramatic angles:

drymount.JPG

He's only dry mounted now and about half way through the prep work.

More to come...  :carcus:

CnC

Ad Oculos
awesome so far. I think the pose of the original was extremely weak, imo. Your variation is much better.

Dare I say tho I think it still could use more to make it a bit more dynamic. While taking away the symmetry of the arms helps the leg positions are still "stiff". Kinda looks like he's standing in a wind storm, rather than be imposing.

But its a great start.

CnC said:
awesome so far.  I think the pose of the original was extremely weak, imo.  Your variation is much better.

Dare I say tho I think it still could use more to make it a bit more dynamic.  While taking away the symmetry of the arms helps the leg positions are still "stiff".  Kinda looks like he's standing in a wind storm, rather than be imposing.

But its a great start.

Thanks =)
The "problem" with this kit is the detail. It's very hard to re-pose it since all the scales in the armor should be altered in ordered to make the movement believable. So, while I understand and see what you mean about the pose, IRL he's more like beginning a charge (about to grip the sword with both hands and leap forward ..) rather than just standing there ;)
You'll see when I'm more into the project...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
awesome so far. I think the pose of the original was extremely weak, imo. Your variation is much better.

Well the original pose is pretty faithful to the scene it's based on in the manga, except maybe for the fact he should hold the DS lower. He's not supposed to be imposing or anything, just to be standing there bleeding (after getting up, and before being attacked by Grunberd). Now it's true that may not be the best scene to make into a statue, especially without Grunberd, but that's a problem inherent to the kit.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Joa said:
Thanks =)
The "problem" with this kit is the detail. It's very hard to re-pose it since all the scales in the armor should be altered in ordered to make the movement believable. So, while I understand and see what you mean about the pose, IRL he's more like beginning a charge (about to grip the sword with both hands and leap forward ..) rather than just standing there ;)
You'll see when I'm more into the project...

Well I defer to your expertise on the subject of logical ways to better the pose.

Like Aaz said, its a bad choice for a pose on AOW's part. I think if the idea was to show Guts bleeding I think the pose where Gut's hand and leg just finished spinning back into place and he's dragging the DS back into battle for round 2 would have been better. But thats another topic.

I'm sure it'll turn out great, Joa.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Like Aaz said, its a bad choice for a pose on AOW's part.

Actually this kit isn't done by AOW but by Headlong. AOW did release a PVC statue that has the same pose though, makes you wonder what they're all thinking.

CnC said:
I think if the idea was to show Guts bleeding I think the pose where Gut's hand and leg just finished spinning back into place and he's dragging the DS back into battle for round 2 would have been better.

I'd have to agree, it's a much more dramatic scene and I think it'd translate better into statue form. We don't always get what we want though. Nevertheless I have no doubt this project will work out nicely.

grendelrt said:
Shouldnt of been a recast, came in a headlong bag with headlong instructions :/ Looking great so far either way :guts:

I'M EXCITED FOR YOU GRENDELRT!!!! Getting a kit commissioned is a wonderful thing and JOA is someone who will do an excellent, EXCELLENT job. I'm still envious of that Casca kit, man. Joa, whenever you want to sell that hottie, you know how to contact me! Hehe. (I know you won't sell, but can't hurt to bug you ask you every once in a while).

Top Bottom