Wally's Trip to New Orleans

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Since Katrina hit New Orleans and the surrounding areas, I've wanted to go down and not only give a hand to the relief work, but also take part in something where I got free food and board to do manual labor with people my own age, and hopefully get drunk on the weekends. :guts:

I've been saving up for a few months for random expenditures to get down there, and the day has finally arrived. I'm heading to New Orleans tonight, and will be volunteering with Relief Spark (www.reliefspark.org) for the next few months. They'll be housing me here. I'm really not sure when or how I'll be able to access the internet, so this MAY be goodbye for the next two months. :judo:

If Relief Spark sucks, or is too regimented (I don't deal well with authority I don't respect, and there are sure to be hippies...) I'll float around to other local volunteer organizations. Hopefully I won't end up being forced to sell crack or perform sexual favors to score some authentic Cajun-style Jambalaya and a free roof, but I've mentally prepared myself for anything.

I'll be writing a weekly column about the trip that'll be published in a few local newspapers here in North Carolina. If I have internet access down there, I'll hopefully be posting those entries in this thread.

Wish me luck, SKnet!

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Good luck Walter, and have fun :) That is a very kind thing you are doing for those poor people, and I am sure it will help brighten many victim's days.

Bring us back some gifts! :serpico:

Good luck and be careful. I have heard some bad stories from down there. :isidro:

Take some pictures too! :guts:

- C

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
That's very kind of you. Take care, and don't accept candy from strangers.

We'll miss you over the next 2 months if you don't have internet access.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Hey good luck Wally. Chances are you'll have the same ability for the internet as me. Everynow and then to two weeks of waht the hell is a computer and then there's the "hey were going to sadr city" which I hope never happens because I don't even know where that is. And by all that I mean Good Luck!

sorta the same job as you except I'm shoot people [turns out to be more like the ending of jarhead]

-VHB

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
This is very off topic, but I found Jarhead to be a "meh" movie. Seriously.. Maybe I am missing the point, but I just felt the entire movie was a big waste of time.. most of it was just guys wanking off and partying, and rigorous training. But then again I suppose that's is all that goes on during quiet-times before war. :serpico:

But then again I haven't read the book so maybe that's why I don't get it too well.

annnnyways, good luck (again) Walter. Maybe I'm too nerdy, but it would be difficult for me to be away from my PC for that long :( Bring along some Berserk to read.

I still don't agree with you abandoning SK.net for so long, hopefully internet is available if you look out for it.
Good luck, and make sure you don't end up a Causality. ^_^

Yes Aaz, I know that's not how Casualty is spelt.

Top Bottom