Buy an Ipod?

Okay I got money to buy an Ipod and I've been wanting to buy a MP3 players for a year now. So should I buy one?  The current 5th Gen of Ipod has been out for awhile now and a few months another version will likely pop up.

So should I wait and see if the next Gen of Ipod comes out or just buy one. I keep changing my decision as to what to do from day to day lol.  :miura:

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Buying an MP3 player is a good idea, but you don't need an Ipod. There are other MP3 players out there that have equal or more number of features as Ipods, and can usually cost considerably less. Nothing wrong with Ipods, but they are just much more "mainstream" so usually you'll find them more expensive then other brands. :guts:

If you want an Ipod, go for it now. It still plays MP3's, right? A new version won't change that. So why not get it now if you really want it. Otherwise check out this site: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/ for some interesting MP3/other media players on the market.

CnC

Ad Oculos
well, I myself hate them.. yup hate them. I just thought I'd make that clear.... yup, I'd never get one.

But I know I guy who got one. This guy is not me. Stop thinking its me 'cause its not.
The sound quality is great, compared to the previous creative player (a flash based player) that ..he had. And theres no arguin' for capacity the 60gb's got more than enough. If you're lookin' for a video player the battery life of the ipods not really acceptable (about 4 hours for video, ~20 for audio). And syncing with itunes is really easy.
I've heard the shuffle (oddly enough) has the best sound quality of the 3 (nano, shuffle, video). But that lack of a screen is retarded.

So I'd opt between the nano and 5g, if I were to HAVE to buy an ipod. Which _I_ wouldn't.... ...cause I hate them.

And I wouldn't really use the idea that they're about to release another one be too big of a factor in your decision. There's only rumors being spread around right now.
And, of course, there are good players out there besides apple. Just find the specs you want and go for it, rather than just sit around and wait for something that may or may not happen tomorrow.

Ipod's suck... I'd never get one... no, never. :troll:

I really like mine!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I have one, and while it was indeed expensive (I have a 20GB 4th gen player, and it cost $299 last may, around the time Serpico was dueling with Guts, for those who keep track of time by Berserk), I haven't regretted it yet. My screen cracked over a year ago, and I still use it about every day, whether its as a portable hard drive or its legitimate use... it just takes some time to get used to navigating blindly :carcus:.

It really boils down to one question: are you OK using iTunes? I've grown to love the program, though I still hate macs with a passion. If you don't mind dipping into the dark side, iTunes still provides the best connectivity features for MP3 players on the market.

Called my Sis she said the price of the current Ipod will drop in a few months (she knows a friend that works with Mac). I guess I'll wait for now lol. sigh  :puck:

Edit: BTW Why would I want an Ipod instead another MP3 player brand well... I think Conan O' Brien said it best in one of his skids about having buying an MP3 player that isn't an Ipod "Show the whole world that your to poor to afford an Ipod"...

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
I still don't think I'd pay for my most of my music if I had iTunes... it's much easier to download it, buy it if you like it or delete it. Hell, I rip all my CD's into 320 the second I buy them anyway :void: I was going to buy an iPod, the same model as Wally, but Griffith on Horseback came along.. and well.. the rest is history.

Recently purchased the 60 gig video iPod, i sold my old one to a friend so it wasn't all that bad $-wise. I love them. With a program called Handbrake, you're able to rip dvds and put them on ur iPod. (Good for the plane when I fly down to Chile to see my family) Plus when my friends and I do something and someone takes alot of pics and sends them to me, boom right to my iPod. I don't have the 60gig just to say I have it, I put movies music and pics on there and have used 36 gigs up so far. Make sure u get a GOOD case!!!!

CnC

Ad Oculos
Proj2501 said:
With a program called Handbrake, you're able to rip dvds and put them on ur iPod.

kewl. I was lookin' for a program like that

...for my friend. not me. nossir

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Christ, how about a trendy travel toilet so we can shit in public for $500 too? Hell, you're already blocking the world out with the latest in digital music, so it's like you're not even there, right? Even if someone were to come up and murder you, you'd be too preoccupied to care.

Anyway, I'd save that kind of money for some useful, like an abortion, but go for it! :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
"Griffith No More!" said:
Christ, how about a trendy travel toilet so we can shit in public for $500 too?
I've actually always wanted one of those... It's really only a matter of time at this rate :carcus:

Hell, you're already blocking the world out with the latest in digital music, so it's like you're not even there, right? Even if someone were to come up and murder you, you'd be too preoccupied to care.
The same could be said of cell phones. But trends like these, much like freedom, the flame for the unknown soldier and diarrhea, once they start...

CnC said:
well, if its made by apple thats alright...
How big is your iPoo ?

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
How big is your iPoo ?

I'll have you know I upgraded to the iBrick.

Heres a funny vid:
http://tec.fresqui.com/2001-la-primera-presentacion-del-ipod-video

its the introduction of the ipod. I just find the scale of the presentation (about the size of a classroom) funny compared to how big it is now.

Yeah, so I recently got a new(er) computer and have tried putting all my files in my new(est) iTunes liberry.
Of course, Apple won't let it be that simple. I could a) Delete all the files already on my iPod and start from scratch, or b) i could not do a and just go for something easier, better, and more practicle.

Please help me cheat. :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Slightly Green said:
Yeah, so I recently got a new(er) computer and have tried putting all my files in my new(est) iTunes liberry.
Of course, Apple won't let it be that simple. I could a) Delete all the files already on my iPod and start from scratch, or b) i could not do a and just go for something easier, better, and more practicle.

Please help me cheat. :judo:
I really can't tell what you're trying to do based on that description. I thinkYou want the mp3s OFF your iPod and onto your new computer, right? If so, you can use independant programs like EphPod to get them off it.

Walter said:
I really can't tell what you're trying to do based on that description.  I thinkYou want the mp3s OFF your iPod and onto your new computer, right?  If so, you can use independant programs like EphPod to get them off it.
Oh, so you do understand. :guts:

Thanks, I figured you knew, but since I'm out of internet access in my new place (only do I have it when I'm here at work), I can't really IM anyone.

Thanks again. (I will be getting the internet soon to soon-ish soon)

(Incredibly off-topic, in a late night comparison, farts really do smell like eggs. It's not like a humorous simile of two distinctly pungent aromas; they smell EXACTLY the same. That is all for now. I was reminded of this fact just now. :serpico:)

I have a 20 GB Dell DJ, and it suits me fine. I dont really want videos, and im not a big fan of the Ipods wheel design. The DJ's scroll bar is much better i think. And it was about 200 i believe.

TheBeast43105 said:
The DJ's scroll bar is much better i think.
This is obvious misinformation and insidious propoganda meant to throw you (the Gracious Consumer!) off your path to Enlightenment (the iGod).
Do not listen to this falsifier! this blasphemer! this obvious Dell Employee!!

HA! Scroll Bar!

Nice try!!

Whew, man am I glad I got here before you did something awful!

My job here is done. :badbone:

I have a Dell DJ 15GB and I bougth a Nano 2GB last night. Bought the nano for podcasts and the ability to work out with it. The DJ scroll bar does work very nicely, but so does the Nano's. The one thing I definitely like better on the Nano is the UI for finding songs/artists/etc and the connectivity to itunes. It is much easier than the DJs. All said though, I paid 129 for 15GB DJ at a time when a 20GB iPod was 300 bucks, the difference is not worth 170 dollars. DJs were recently killed by dell so you might be able to find one cheap if anyone is looking. BTW the Nano is killer ehhe, but the cost of it still makes me feel dirty...

Looks like a new bigger GB Nano model will be released sooner or later.

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/06/20060625224117.shtml

Either a 10 or 12 GB Nano would be really nice. :beast:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ZODDGUTSU said:
Either a 10 or 12 GB Nano would be really nice. :beast:
That'd be really difficult considering its storage is flash memory. But while Apple is at it, I'd like a 5000 horsepower car to fit into the body of my Subaru Impreza. Thanks in advance, Steve!

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Walter said:
That'd be really difficult considering its storage is flash memory. But while Apple is at it, I'd like a 5000 horsepower car to fit into the body of my Subaru Impreza. Thanks in advance, Steve!

Pfft, they'll do it, sure! Just dish out the cash. Of course it would get a catchy title like the I-Impreza, and be completely white...

..I gotta sleep...

I just brought an apple I pod, i got the 30 gig one it can play video as well as music. I think it was the best choice since for $99 you get 1 gig for 199 you get 2 gig and for 299 you get 30, for an extra 100 you get 28 more gigs and get the ability to save video.

Walter said:
It really boils down to one question: are you OK using iTunes? I've grown to love the program, though I still hate macs with a passion. If you don't mind dipping into the dark side, iTunes still provides the best connectivity features for MP3 players on the market.

i have a shuffle and use winamp with the plugin for portable players which is now built into the newest version... i prefer winamp because it monitors folders so you dont have add files or folders everytime i drop a few songs onto my pc; still havent found this option in itunes but let me know if it is there... i even called itunes support and they couldnt help me with this... one huge problem with winamp is that it still can not add mp4 videos to the video ipod...

Kagami

Goo!
Psymont 2.0 said:
i have a shuffle and use winamp with the plugin for portable players which is now built into the newest version... i prefer winamp because it monitors folders so you dont have add files or folders everytime i drop a few songs onto my pc; still havent found this option in itunes but let me know if it is there... i even called itunes support and they couldnt help me with this... one huge problem with winamp is that it still can not add mp4 videos to the video ipod...

That bugs me about iTunes as well. Now if winamp and iTunes teamed up......

Top Bottom