Movies to look forward to

You know the plot's gonna suck but seeing these guys together makes up for all of it, Expendables 3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bPJrbzjLls&feature=kp

Edge Of Tomorrow's getting some good rep - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUmSVcttXnI

Before I Go To Sleep - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9QNAJm8E5g

Memento all over again with a good cast, I'm optimistic about this one. Haven't read the book though.

The Rover - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7C95zhu7yA

From the director who made Animal Kingdom (damn good Aussie flick).

Jake's in good form in this one (his hair and craziness kinda reminds me a bit of American Psycho) ... he's been in such good movies off late barring the ones in 2010.

Here's the trailer for Nightcrawler - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNvPm_mQvZI

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Wow, that was more visually striking than I expected. Destruction never looked so beautiful. I wish there was more, ya know, Max though. Jury is still out there. All the weird looking women and children gives me more of a Beyond Thunderdome vibe than Road Warrior, though that's not necessarily a bad thing
(but what's up with the V8 interceptor and/or the place and time of this film? It's back and I'm thinking prequel, and then it's immediately destroyed in a fashion different than Warrior)

Griffith said:
Wow, that was more visually striking than I expected. Destruction never looked so beautiful. I wish there was more, ya know, Max though. Jury is still out there. All the weird looking women and children gives me more of a Beyond Thunderdome vibe than Road Warrior, though that's not necessarily a bad thing
(but what's up with the V8 interceptor and/or the place and time of this film? It's back and I'm thinking prequel, and then it's immediately destroyed in a fashion different than Warrior)

Yeah, it looks a bit off when you think of continuity but has some bits and pieces. Maybe this helps a bit ...

http://screenrant.com/mad-max-4-tom-hardy-teresa-palmer-schrad-66295/

Tom Hardy - “We have to take it differently as George is taking it. It’s a relaunch and revisit to the world. An entire restructuring. That’s not to say that it’s not picking up or leaving off from the Mad Max you know already, but it’s a nice re-take on the entire world using the same character, depositing him in the same world but bringing him up to date by 30 years.”

Takes place after Beyond Thunderdome with a new~ish take on Mad Max perhaps?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Tom Hardy - “We have to take it differently as George is taking it. It’s a relaunch and revisit to the world. An entire restructuring. That’s not to say that it’s not picking up or leaving off from the Mad Max you know already, but it’s a nice re-take on the entire world using the same character, depositing him in the same world but bringing him up to date by 30 years.”[/i]

Takes place after Beyond Thunderdome with a new~ish take on Mad Max perhaps?

That's a lot of words just to say "it's a reboot". Anyway, it looks nice I guess, but I wonder if the magic will be there. Watching the trailer I was reminded of Waterworld.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
That's a lot of words just to say "it's a reboot".

Good alleged news on that front (since that mealy mouthed answer from Hardy made me throw up a little in mine). Apparently it takes place between Mad Max and The Road Warrior, so the V8 Interceptor we see here will start like the Max version and end more like the Warrior version (watching the trailer again, it clearly isn't totaled). Makes sense to me.

Aazealh said:
Anyway, it looks nice I guess, but I wonder if the magic will be there. Watching the trailer I was reminded of Waterworld.

Ouch! Have a little optimism, I thought everything in this trailer just looked better than anything in Water World. My only question is will I be able to buy Hardy as Max or will he just be an unspectacularly respectable placeholder for Gibson. The character kind of hinged on Gibson's charisma. Hardy just looks dour (though they can do more with the death of his family since that's apparently not so far behind him).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Good alleged news on that front (since that mealy mouthed answer from Hardy made me throw up a little in mine). Apparently it takes place between Mad Max and The Road Warrior, so the V8 Interceptor we see here will start like the Max version and end more like the Warrior version (watching the trailer again, it clearly isn't totaled). Makes sense to me.

Sounds good, I've always found the transition between 1 and 2 to be a little too rough (likely a result of the higher budget), given how different the world seems to be.

Griffith said:
My only question is will I be able to buy Hardy as Max or will he just be an unspectacularly respectable placeholder for Gibson. The character kind of hinged on Gibson's charisma. Hardy just looks dour (though they can do more with the death of his family since that's apparently not so far behind him).

That's one of my concerns as well, which is why ryOtoha asked what actor I'd rather see instead after we talked about it in private. However I can't think of anyone that'd really fit off the top of my head.

Aazealh said:
However I can't think of anyone that'd really fit off the top of my head.

Obviously (but not from a business POV), it sure can't be a pretty boy, a young actor or someone who doesn't embodied the spirit of Max such as rudeness, loneliness. Guy Pearce could have been interesting. Maybe Josh Brolin.
Tom Hardy may not be the perfect choice but when you think about his questionable interpretations, physically and in term of attitude, he's the closest to be the relevant vessel in order to convey Miller's vision.

And from what we saw, the author succeed to keep control over his creation. That's already a goddamn miracle.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Trailer looked pretty good to me. Hardy taking the mantle didn't bother me, but I have utterly no connection to the Max franchise, and Mel Gibson's name brings back only bad '90s memories for me. Guess I'm probably in the minority for this one.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Sounds good, I've always found the transition between 1 and 2 to be a little too rough (likely a result of the higher budget), given how different the world seems to be.

True, though from a budgetary/production standpoint this one will stick out even more. BTW, in the new trailer the tatoo or brand he's being given, in addition to touting his universal blood and intact genitals, describes him as a "lone road warrior." =)

Aazealh said:
That's one of my concerns as well, which is why ryOtoha asked what actor I'd rather see instead after we talked about it in private. However I can't think of anyone that'd really fit off the top of my head.

Just for fun here's one you might not think: Liam Hemsworth. He's an Aussie, has a superficial resemblance young Gibson, and he's actually the right age (Gibson was in his mid twenties in Road Warrior). Of course, this movie has been in development hell for so long he was too young when they started filming. Anyway, I have no idea if he could have pulled off the voice and the attitude, but food for thought. It actually makes me grateful for Hardy. When I see him dourly shooting a pistol or whatnot in the trailer, he may not look like Gibson, but he does look like Max.

Walter said:
Trailer looked pretty good to me. Hardy taking the mantle didn't bother me, but I have utterly no connection to the Max franchise, and Mel Gibson's name brings back only bad '90s memories for me. Guess I'm probably in the minority for this one.

Watch The Road Warrior. He's basically the Black Swordsman with a car instead of a sword. You'll also notice inspiration for another franchise right away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n29c-q3_8Q

Griffith said:
Just for fun here's one you might not think: Liam Hemsworth. He's an Aussie, has a superficial resemblance young Gibson, and he's actually the right age (Gibson was in his mid twenties in Road Warrior). Of course, this movie has been in development hell for so long he was too young when they started filming. Anyway, I have no idea if he could have pulled off the voice and the attitude, but food for thought. It actually makes me grateful for Hardy. When I see him dourly shooting a pistol or whatnot in the trailer, he may not look like Gibson, but he does look like Max.

For that age group - for an Aussie - Jai Courtney. He's not a pretty boy but he's got a hard, angry look on him. Liam's acting chops are questionable. Hardy's a really good pick for the role, I'd also be okay if they went with Joel Edgerton who's Aussie and 3 years older than Hardy. Hardy had an Inception in 2010 when he was cast (coming fresh outta good acclaim for Bronson), Joel had Animal Kingdom, the latter was much better. Hardy though has a better resume.

Griffith said:
Just for fun here's one you might not think: Liam Hemsworth. He's an Aussie, has a superficial resemblance young Gibson, and he's actually the right age (Gibson was in his mid twenties in Road Warrior). Anyway, I have no idea if he could have pulled off the voice and the attitude, but food for thought.

Back then he should have been to young but right now (like in the Hunger Games franchise), he have the voice and the look.

IncantatioN said:
I'd also be okay if they went with Joel Edgerton who's Aussie and 3 years older than Hardy. Hardy had an Inception in 2010 when he was cast (coming fresh outta good acclaim for Bronson), Joel had Animal Kingdom, the latter was much better. Hardy though has a better resume.

I had the same thought and so I totally agree with you. Joel Edgarton would have been close to the perfect choice.And if you want to make a good comparison, you can watch Warrior staring both facing and punching each other

Griffith said:
Watch The Road Warrior. He's basically the Black Swordsman with a car instead of a sword. You'll also notice inspiration for another franchise right away.

And Max is as much as Guts a Byronic hero. Walter, I second that suggestion.

Griffith

I like Edgerton, but he doesn't have the right look to me, and Jai Courtney kinda looks like... Tom Hardy. Anyway, I think Hardy will be fine, accent and all. If this film holds true to Mad Max form he'll only have a paragraph's worth of dialogue anyway and we probably heard most of it in the trailer. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Anyway, I think Hardy will be fine, accent and all. If this film holds true to Mad Max form he'll only have a paragraph's worth of dialogue anyway and we probably heard most of it in the trailer. =)

We haven't heard him speak yet. What if his voice creates a Bane-like Internet uproar, and they "fix" it in post? :ganishka:

Griffith

Walter said:
We haven't heard him speak yet. What if his voice creates a Bane-like Internet uproar, and they "fix" it in post? :ganishka:

Ha, hopefully that won't be an issue, though he does give a couple lines of narration at the start of the trailer which sound a bit harsh and heavy handed for Max, honestly. I don't know how that will translate to his normal "on set" speaking voice, but he looks more put upon in the rest of the trailer's scenes, so I imagine he'll sound more so as well. He should be more straightforward and casual, of course this Max isn't necessarily the scavenging pragmatist we see later.

Trailer for Automata (sci-fi with robots) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyacm2FNSO4

I don't normally post about films from South India but if you thought Robot or the movie about the house fly was fun/ weird, check this teaser for 'I' ... - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkk1JfCASO4

Second half of the trailer sold me, John Wick has potential ... or maybe they put all those cool gunfights in the trailer? Keanu's back (sorta) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAvug-z7lqM

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
The runtime has been revealed for Christopher Nolan’s latest film, and it’s his longest yet: “Interstellar” will run 2 hours and 49 minutes.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
The runtime has been revealed for Christopher Nolan’s latest film, and it’s his longest yet: “Interstellar” will run 2 hours and 49 minutes.

Long, but not incredibly so, considering that audiences have become more acclimated to 2.5 hrs and longer films over the past decade. I'm interested in this movie from a space/sci-fi perspective, but it's been a while since Nolan truly impressed me.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
Long, but not incredibly so, considering that audiences have become more acclimated to 2.5 hrs and longer films over the past decade. I'm interested in this movie from a space/sci-fi perspective, but it's been a while since Nolan truly impressed me.

Which of his films was the last one to do so?

Top Bottom