New Readers (No Spoilers)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
A spoiler free Vagabond discussion thread for readers of any level to post their thoughts on the series, whether you've only read the first page or every volume of the series.

i think i would've never actually read vagabond had i not become anxious waiting for this next berserk episode and scoured around this forum and read such high esteem about this manga, I thank you all for introducing me to such a wonderful story accompanied by the beautiful artwork incorporated into it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: New readers

Hahaha, another fiend. How far along are you? I think I really got hooked for good around volume 5-6. These days I re-read the series at least once a year and always take something new away from the experience.

PS: Sorry I didn't respond in the chat, Bobbo. I was on the phone.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great

Walter said:
Hahaha, another fiend. How far along are you? I think I really got hooked for good around volume 5-6. These days I re-read the series at least once a year and always take something new away from the experience.

I just read up to vol 3, currently Miyomoto is kicking the shit out of Yoshioka school right now. This is highly addicting!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Well, it definitely gets better from there on out. The series has a very awkward beginning, I think. But it ramps up once Inoue begins to deviate from the near-literal interpretation of the Musashi novel.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Augh I caught up. How could I have done this? :ganishka:
Well that was quick. What are your impressions on the past 7-8 volumes, now that you were able to experience them one after the other. I must admit, it's been weird following it episodically for so long. I welcome fresh perspective.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great

Walter said:
Well that was quick. What are your impressions on the past 7-8 volumes, now that you were able to experience them one after the other. I must admit, it's been weird following it episodically for so long. I welcome fresh perspective.

It's really good. I have to say Inoue really knows how to leave someone wanting more. I was also really suprised how he was able to go from a completely calm environment [like Musashi's recent visit to kyoto] to something completely chaotic
like the battle against the 70 Yoshioka or Kojiro and Musashi fighting at the battlefield in Sekigahara
. Something I think that made it even better was getting to read it unimpeded. With out having to stop every so often to wait for the story to continue I actually got to see it in full. Now all I want to do is buy all the english vols of Berserk and read that non-stop. That's going to be freaking awesome.

I'm going to read Vagabond too. Cannot await to get started :)

i just started with blade of the immortal few weeks ago ... i'm at vol 16 ... a great manga, simply LOVE it :)

Griffith

In response to this post:

Clawed The Bum said:
One Manga I really like is Vinland Saga. Its a lot like the Golden Age of Berserk (Minus the Skull Knight and Zodd encounters so no mysterious element which was one of the best things about that arc). Its one of those Manga's that pretty much get better and better with ever episode and I really didn't like it much until about episode 35ish and so far there are only 44 episodes lol.

My sister hates anime/manga but she reads Superior which is kinda like fable (the video game) mixed with a little Berserk but with a bigger focus on love :/. I wouldn't recommend it if your a guy but it my sister is really into it so I recommend it on her behalf.

On Side note I couldn't find where to discuss this in the Vagabond section but when will we know if Vagabond is for us or not. Im 32 episodes in and it seems too much like that Rouruni Kenshin anime/manga which I don't like. I kinda liked the section where those two dudes were getting seduced by those two chicks lol that was kinda interesting but It went downhill from there for me.

Clawed The Bum said:
On Side note I couldn't find where to discuss this in the Vagabond section

Feel welcome at the Inn my friend, you can post such questions in this thread, or make a new thread of your own. Feel free to comment or ask any questions you like and I or someone will be glad to answer them.

Clawed The Bum said:
when will we know if Vagabond is for us or not. Im 32 episodes in and it seems too much like that Rouruni Kenshin anime/manga which I don't like.

It's a problem I've been thinking about, Vagabond is best in longform, and unlike Berserk I can't really think of a quick hook for it unless you're already interested in the subject matter. What I can tell you is that if you aren't quite into yet, it definitely keeps raising the bar as it goes along, I mean it doesn't just evolve, at a certain point it's like a revolution, in art, storytelling and message. To be honest, the Vagabond you're reading isn't on the level yet of what it will become, but, is a necessary part of that payoff, experiencing Musashi's physical and mental journey and transformation. In that sense, the story is almost a metaphor for itself; from a typical adolescent state, to something special and transcendent. You've only read about the first arc, which amounts to the exposition for everything that is to come on Musashi's journey and rematch with the Yoshioka; it's really just begun, and from there, the story, characters and philosophical aspects really start coming into better focus, which is the real the strength of the series, though the art and action only becomes stronger as it goes on as well. I can only tell you to stick with it, for it will be more rewarding than you can possibly foresee now.

Also, having a place to discuss and dissect these things can certainly makes it more stimulating, and that's what the Vagabond Inn was created for, so please feel encouraged to share your thoughts there and get some feedback.

Clawed The Bum said:
I kinda liked the section where those two dudes were getting seduced by those two chicks lol that was kinda interesting but It went downhill from there for me.

Ha, well, there are certainly more, uh, romantic encounters and misunderstandings as the story goes on, but as far that goes, they're mostly in contrast to Musashi and Otsu's relationship and feelings for each other; which, becomes a central theme, or major subplot, depending on your focus and interests.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler

I finished Vol. 4 last week and am waiting for my next paycheck to be direct deposited before I pick up Vol. 5. I'm really enjoying it so far and am relieved to hear that it only gets better from here.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

Rhombaad said:
I finished Vol. 4 last week and am waiting for my next paycheck to be direct deposited before I pick up Vol. 5. I'm really enjoying it so far and am relieved to hear that it only gets better from here.

I won't spoil anything for you, but yeah it keeps getting better. Just let it ferment like wine, then you will taste the true flavor of it.

Griffith

Clawed The Bum said:
Thank you I'm really looking forward to reading it now :).

Glad to hear it, feel free to share your thoughts here as you go along. :griffnotevil:

Rhombaad said:

Yeah, I've been reading it volume to volume from the beginning and it's quite rewarding despite, or maybe because of, the wait.

Th3Branded0ne said:
I won't spoil anything for you, but yeah it keeps getting better. Just let it ferment like wine, then you will taste the true flavor of it.

Hahah, and I thought I was coming on strong. :ganishka:

I bought the first 3 '3-volume-in-one' packs, so I'm up to volume 9. I really like it so far, but I admit I'm afraid of it becoming sort of bleach like where the whole manga is just about setting up a fight, see a long back story of bad guy, fight ends, rinse and repeat. Not that I haven't enjoyed what I've read so far, but it's going to get boring fast for me if that's all it comes down to.

I think my favorite parts revolve around Matahachi. I'm really hoping that something good comes out of his side plots.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

CowTip said:
I bought the first 3 '3-volume-in-one' packs, so I'm up to volume 9. I really like it so far, but I admit I'm afraid of it becoming sort of bleach like where the whole manga is just about setting up a fight, see a long back story of bad guy, fight ends, rinse and repeat. Not that I haven't enjoyed what I've read so far, but it's going to get boring fast for me if that's all it comes down to.

I think my favorite parts revolve around Matahachi. I'm really hoping that something good comes out of his side plots.

This is isn't bleach, so don't worry. And there aren't really bad guys per se. It was an era where the sword was not only a weapon but kinda like your resume for the life of the warrior, which does not exist anymore. Some of this fights were true events, so don't expect a musashi pulling a "bankai" to defeat his next opponent, he started from scratch so you get to see his progress and other's characters as well.

Well, I guess by Bleach I meant more that so much time is spent on random side characters that once a battle is finished we never even see them again, yet we get chapters and chapters of their whole life story for next to no reason... to the point where the main character is just a plot device to get to the next flash back... It just gets really boring to me after awhile.

And I suppose 'Bad guys' was a poor choice of words. I should have just used opponents :beast:

Griffith

CowTip said:

Don't worry about that, while Musashi certainly continues to fight opponents, you're getting to the precipice of a turning point. BTW, how is reading it in those large volumes?

CowTip said:

Well, that's good, there'll be plenty more of him and his misadventures as well. What draws you to those segments? I'm curious because although I appreciate them, it's definitely the opposite for me.

Th3Branded0ne said:
Some of this fights were true events, so don't expect a musashi pulling a "bankai" to defeat his next opponent, he started from scratch so you get to see his progress and other's characters as well.

My favorite part of that are some of the historical details Inoue has included about Musashi and even his father. Such as the later reference to Musashi's training with the Jutte.

CocwTip said:
Well, I guess by Bleach I meant more that so much time is spent on random side characters that once a battle is finished we never even see them again, yet we get chapters and chapters of their whole life story for next to no reason... to the point where the main character is just a plot device to get to the next flash back... It just gets really boring to me after awhile.

Hmmm, that's an interesting critique, and while Inoue certainly does focus on characters like that (one could even say there's an EXTREME example in volume 14 =), I'd argue that, in the case of Vagabond at least, it serves and elevates the story as well as the development of Musashi's character, rather than being at his expense or just a gimmick. In any case, I don't think you'll get bored, particularly as these relationships become more complicated and interconnected (somewhat on display with Matahatchi's situation).

Funny thing about the flashbacks though, it's an inside joke around here that Miura was "pulling an Inoue" with Ganishka's 303 flashback. :ganishka:

宮本 グリフィス said:
Don't worry about that, while Musashi certainly continues to fight opponents, you're getting to the precipice of a turning point. BTW, how is reading it in those large volumes?

Well, the best part about the large volumes is that since it's so easy to blow through one volume, I actually feel like I'm reading through them a little more slowly. I know it's just a self-mental thing, but it's nice having so much all together. That said, they're heavy as heck and it can be tiring holding them up for long periods of time, and also since they're paperback and so thick, I'm afraid that the binding won't hold up much through repeated readings (in my first volume, I already notice the binding weakening at the ends), but I try to treat my stuff carefully.

Well, that's good, there'll be plenty more of him and his misadventures as well. What draws you to those segments? I'm curious because although I appreciate them, it's definitely the opposite for me.

Well, it might be that I'm so early on and I don't know how things are going to go (I've done a fairly good job of avoiding spoilers so far), I feel like Matahachi is going to build up to perhaps something much more. Will he still be a sniviling coward? Maybe... but he just feels like an important character. I especially like that he's (as stated in the short Matahachi essay posted here) such a representation of how Musashi could have ended up without his courage and determination. I agree that he's so pathetic that it can drive you crazy, but the manga keeps mentioning how he has the potential to be great, he's just too lazy and cowardly to get there. I did hear that Musashi's real rival(?) shows up soon and I'm curious as to how that goes. Maybe Matahachi will just fall into the background, but personally I hope that they use his character for something important before that happens, otherwise, what's the point of us seeing his actions up until now?

And flashbacks or perspective changes are ok for me from time to time, just as long as the main character (Musashi) isn't relegated into predictable, boring nonsense, which you've assured me isn't the case so I feel better. I wasn't really expecting it to go that way, but you never know. I'll definately be picking up more issues as money allows, though if the series is as awesome as you guys say, I'm not looking forward to the long waits between episodes like with Berserk! (Also, sorry for the slight wall of text :chomp:)

Griffith

CowTip said:
Well, the best part about the large volumes is that since it's so easy to blow through one volume, I actually feel like I'm reading through them a little more slowly. I know it's just a self-mental thing, but it's nice having so much all together. That said, they're heavy as heck and it can be tiring holding them up for long periods of time, and also since they're paperback and so thick, I'm afraid that the binding won't hold up much through repeated readings (in my first volume, I already notice the binding weakening at the ends), but I try to treat my stuff carefully.

Interesting how it changes the flow when you read it. Sorry to hear about the extra wear and tear, and yeah, I've held them in stores, and I sure wouldn't want to hold them up reading in bed for too long.

CowTip said:
Well, it might be that I'm so early on and I don't know how things are going to go (I've done a fairly good job of avoiding spoilers so far), I feel like Matahachi is going to build up to perhaps something much more. Will he still be a sniviling coward? Maybe... but he just feels like an important character. I especially like that he's (as stated in the short Matahachi essay posted here) such a representation of how Musashi could have ended up without his courage and determination. I agree that he's so pathetic that it can drive you crazy, but the manga keeps mentioning how he has the potential to be great, he's just too lazy and cowardly to get there. I did hear that Musashi's real rival(?) shows up soon and I'm curious as to how that goes. Maybe Matahachi will just fall into the background, but personally I hope that they use his character for something important before that happens, otherwise, what's the point of us seeing his actions up until now?

Yeah, there's plenty more ground to cover with Matahatchi, even if it feels like 1 step forward, 2 back with him. Anyway, I don't want to spoil anything for you, though I think you're in for some pleasant surprises, as well as some unexpected things that I'll be curious to get your reaction to. Looking forward to further discussions.

CowTip said:
And flashbacks or perspective changes are ok for me from time to time, just as long as the main character (Musashi) isn't relegated into predictable, boring nonsense, which you've assured me isn't the case so I feel better. I wasn't really expecting it to go that way, but you never know.

Yeah, Musashi himself grows through the other characters, and as we also went over in the Matahatchi thread, in many ways Musashi himself has that same 1 step forward, 2 back kind of struggle with himself, though on a completely different scale. To me the real interest lies in Musashi's struggle with himself and the cycle of his epiphanies throughout, described well by Inei during the rematch with Inshun, about surviving the winter of his endeavors to come to a new spring. A nice metaphor that applies to all learning and life in general. What did you think of the focus on Musashi's training and growth during that portion?

CowTip said:
I'll definately be picking up more issues as money allows, though if the series is as awesome as you guys say, I'm not looking forward to the long waits between episodes like with Berserk!

Hahaha, no worries there, Inoue keeps a crazy pace. He will take breaks between volumes for a couple of months, but when he's on, he literally puts out an episode a week until another volume is done. I think you can handle that schedule! :ganishka:

CowTip said:
(Also, sorry for the slight wall of text :chomp:)

Oh no, that's totally alright, if anything, we need MORE text in here! :guts: :daiba:

Re: New readers (use spoiler tags)

宮本 グリフィス said:
What did you think of the focus on Musashi's training and growth during that portion?

I think the most compelling part of the manga in general is how un-stereotypical and surprisingly realistic Musashi's persona is. It would be so easy to just make him the noble swordsman who, while starting out weak, just climbs his way to the top, but Musashi does some of the craziest, most unexpected things when compared to the normal actions of most protagonists.
It's like in the first fight with Inshun where we fast forward to Musashi in bed wondering what happened, assuming that Inshun just knocked him out or something, just to find out that he panicked and ran for his life... At least to me, that was completely unexpected.

The overall feeling that Musashi thought he was completely bad ass and that he could follow the way of the sword even if it meant death so nobly, just to find out that he had no idea what he was really getting himself in to and to show it in such a human way (especially for a guy who spent most of his childhood alone in the mountains), it was just great. And again, their second fight builds up and again you start to think that Musashi has perhaps become a bit more noble, just to have him start smashing his wooden katana into the ground while proclaiming his victory like a little kid~ I'm definitely interested to see where this is going (I also loved how the first impression was that Musashi was smacking Inshun after he'd already knocked him down... my first response was: :isidro:).

And I haven't even gotten in to my love for Takuan. I don't see how anyone could dislike this character. It's amazing how much insight he can put into even a simple fart.

Though I've come across some terrible news. The next Vizbig edition won't be out until July, and who knows how far after that they're staggering their releases. I want to read more, but at the same time, I like to keep things sort of consistent for my own collections. Oh the conflict :sad:

Edit: Forgot that I should add some spoiler tags. Hopefully I didn't ruin anything for anyone~

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

Yeah, hopefully none of the new readers didn't read it. I was going to ask you to put the spoiler tags, then I say no, maybe you will noticed and you did. Thank you.

Griffith

CowTip said:
I think the most compelling part of the manga in general is how un-stereotypical and surprisingly realistic Musashi's persona is. It would be so easy to just make him the noble swordsman who, while starting out weak, just climbs his way to the top, but Musashi does some of the craziest, most unexpected things when compared to the normal actions of most protagonists.

Agreed, not only is this Musashi the most "human" I've seen depicted, but also very modern. He's someone you can actually relate to.

CowTip said:
It's like in the first fight with Inshun where we fast forward to Musashi in bed wondering what happened, assuming that Inshun just knocked him out or something, just to find out that he panicked and ran for his life... At least to me, that was completely unexpected.
Yeah, that one is still a shocker to me, even tough for me to accept considering Musashi's unbeaten reputation, though it is rationalized later. Again, it goes back to those real human qualities we can see him. I also like how Inoue depicted fear, that was very interesting and cool for such a little detail.

CowTip said:
The overall feeling that Musashi thought he was completely bad ass and that he could follow the way of the sword even if it meant death so nobly, just to find out that he had no idea what he was really getting himself in to and to show it in such a human way (especially for a guy who spent most of his childhood alone in the mountains), it was just great. And again, their second fight builds up and again you start to think that Musashi has perhaps become a bit more noble, just to have him start smashing his wooden katana into the ground while proclaiming his victory like a little kid~

Exactly, everyone can relate to having a feeling of progress and enlightenment... only to cast it away moments later on a whim or stupid emotional reaction. I think everyone can relate to that, I remember a particular morning I was feeling quite enlightened and at a good place in my life, only to later that night end up in a drunkin' brawl with one of best friends and being asked to leave... that sure brought me down to earth; much more Matahatchi than Musashi that evening.

CowTip said:
I'm definitely interested to see where this is going (I also loved how the first impression was that Musashi was smacking Inshun after he'd already knocked him down... my first response was: :isidro:).

Oh, he actually was, Agon dresses him down for it!

CowTip said:
And I haven't even gotten in to my love for Takuan. I don't see how anyone could dislike this character. It's amazing how much insight he can put into even a simple fart.

Haha, true, and actually, one of our ideas for the name of this place was takuanmonk.net, that was pretty much the spec name.. :badbone:

CowTip said:
Though I've come across some terrible news. The next Vizbig edition won't be out until July, and who knows how far after that they're staggering their releases. I want to read more, but at the same time, I like to keep things sort of consistent for my own collections. Oh the conflict :sad:

That sucks, though it's to be expected, and I'm not sure of the typical release schedule of those since I haven't been following the big editions. I know just what you mean about collection consistency, but I'd still consider switching to the volume size if I were you. Just because you can never be sure if they'll keep a steady pace or continue releasing them. Actually, one of the things I enjoy about my Vagabond volumes are all the little differences you can see in the evolution of its publication.

CowTip said:
Edit: Forgot that I should add some spoiler tags. Hopefully I didn't ruin anything for anyone~

Yeah, that's definitely a good idea for this thread, I added a direction in the title as well.

P.S. Branded, I find your signature most offensive to my beloved Lakers (and unfortunately, not technically in violation of the size policy =)! You better be a true Magic fan and not a Laker hater. :daiba:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

CowTip said:

Yeah it sucks in that regard for you. Like Griffith, I like the volumes better and not as bulky as the big editions. I think those belong in the Costco book sections :ganishka:

P.S. Griff, I am not a Laker hater, I just been more fond of the magic since I watched more of them(due to cousin being a real magic fan). I guess I am not a true real magic fan, just going for the support to my cousin. But let the best team win. I know it's going to be a heck of a series.

Top Bottom