Toddlers who dislike spicy food 'racist'

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/education/2261307/Toddlers-who-dislike-spicy-food-racist,-say-report.html

Toddlers who turn their noses up at spicy food from overseas could be branded racists by a Government-sponsored agency.

The National Children's Bureau, which receives £12 million a year, mainly from Government funded organisations, has issued guidance to play leaders and nursery teachers advising them to be alert for racist incidents among youngsters in their care.

This could include a child of as young as three who says "yuk" in response to being served unfamiliar foreign food.

The guidance by the NCB is designed to draw attention to potentially-racist attitudes in youngsters from a young age.

It alerts playgroup leaders that even babies can not be ignored in the drive to root out prejudice as they can "recognise different people in their lives".

The 366-page guide for staff in charge of pre-school children, called Young Children and Racial Justice, warns: "Racist incidents among children in early years settings tend to be around name-calling, casual thoughtless comments and peer group relationships."

It advises nursery teachers to be on the alert for childish abuse such as: "blackie", "Pakis", "those people" or "they smell".

The guide goes on to warn that children might also "react negatively to a culinary tradition other than their own by saying 'yuk'".

Staff are told: "No racist incident should be ignored. When there is a clear racist incident, it is necessary to be specific in condemning the action."

Warning that failing to pick children up on their racist attitudes could instil prejudice, the NCB adds that if children "reveal negative attitudes, the lack of censure may indicate to the child that there is nothing unacceptable about such attitudes".

Nurseries are encouraged to report as many incidents as possible to their local council. The guide added: "Some people think that if a large number of racist incidents are reported, this will reflect badly on the institution. In fact, the opposite is the case."

I don't think I was a big spicy food fan as a kid. I must be a grand master of the klan.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
These uppity children should all be force fed spicy food until they shit blood.

S

smoke

well i think it's RACIST to tie a taste to one ethnicity!

OH, SO BECAUSE IT'S SPICY IT MUST BE RELATED TO MEXICANS, HUH?!

Intolerance of intolerance is still intolerant itself.

I find this pretty low for whatever country this is happening in (I wouldn't be surprised if it were the U.S., but we don't use the £ symbol for our currency here). Forcing everyone to like everything or be branded as "intolerant", "ignorant", "racist"; etc, is stupid and hypocritical. I don't like monkey brains or snails, does that mean I'm racist against the Chinese and the French?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I can't even hate the food anymore!? Geez, people are so intolerant of intolerance these days, can't we just accept people for who they irrationally despise?

Damn, in my hesitation my post has become somewhat redundant, this calls for dumb ironic humor...

nfries88 said:
I don't like monkey brains or snails, does that mean I'm racist against the Chinese and the French?

Yeah, and I'm not a cannibal, but I don't have anything against Africans! And dude, don't be racist lying about people eating gross stuff like bugs and brains and shit. They may be different, but they aren't really that fucking disgusting.

That said, much as I'd love to rant a bit more - got a link to source? I'm cynical enough to believe the veracity of it, but all the same, I'd like to know just where to direct my disgust.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
nfries88 said:
(I wouldn't be surprised if it were the U.S.,

UK actually.

Bekul said:
That said, much as I'd love to rant a bit more - got a link to source? I'm cynical enough to believe the veracity of it, but all the same, I'd like to know just where to direct my disgust.

Whoops I forgot to post a link!

Edit: link is up.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Griffith No More! said:
And dude, don't be racist lying about people eating gross stuff like bugs and brains and shit. They may be different, but they aren't really that fucking disgusting.

Yeah! Just because I ate three live Cicaidas last summer dosen't make me fucking disgusting!

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
This is the single stupidest articles I have ever read. If you hear a toddler call someone blackie or paki, then yeah there's something wrong with that picture, but you can bet it was something the kid picked up from the parents. However, just because a kid doesn't like spicy foods doesn't mean a thing, well except that he or she doesn't like spicy foods. The saddest thing about this is that after an article like this comes out of the UK, the euro is still worth more than the dollar :judo:.

I didn't like mould cheese nor spicy food as a kid, but I do now.
Is there still hope for me?

Guts' intestines said:
The saddest thing about this is that after an article like this comes out of the UK, the euro is still worth more than the dollar :judo:.
Hm? The UK has its own currency £, they don't accept €.

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
royoak said:
I didn't like mould cheese nor spicy food as a kid, but I do now.
Is there still hope for me?
Hm? The UK has its own currency £, they don't accept €.

Right, right that's the sterling not the euro, ah well its still stupid though.

Isn't it really the government agency that's racist? They labeled specific food traits to certain races. The toddlers don't have to be aware of race to dislike certain foods. Besides, spicy food can be unhealthy for toddlers. Especially if they are still in diapers. As it can sting and burn... okay nvm I'm not going to elaborate on the specifics. >_<

Can anyone name a single race and/or nation that doesn't have a single spicy food dish????
I know I can't, so doesn't that make spicy food more or less universal? So "race" and "spicy' cannot be associated.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
Can anyone name a single race and/or nation that doesn't have a single spicy food dish????
I'm just going to toss this out there: the British. :ganishka:

Aazealh said:
You're banned.
Fun stuff.

Ramen4ever said:
Isn't it really the government agency that's racist?
Yeah, actually. Well-natured prejudice is prejudice just the same.

[quote author=Ramen4ever]Can anyone name a single race and/or nation that doesn't have a single spicy food dish????
I know I can't, so doesn't that make spicy food more or less universal? So "race" and "spicy' cannot be associated.
[/quote]
Well, apparently Britain and Alaska/Canada don't have spicy food; but I would like to include CandyLand among their ranks.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Candyland has those sour gummy worms, would those count?
Sour does not equal spicy. Salty, scrawny and scurvy don't work for that comparison either.

As for other countries without spicy food, I'd almost say America, since we stole other people's spicy foods and don't have any considerably spicy ORIGINAL dishes.

Walter said:
Candyland has those sour gummy worms, would those count?
Sour does not equal spicy. Salty, scrawny and scurvy don't work for that comparison either.

Agreed, but Chilipops do count.
Don't know about chili chocolate though, it's not candy, is it?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
As for other countries without spicy food, I'd almost say America, since we IMPROVED other people's spicy foods and don't have any considerably spicy ORIGINAL dishes.

Fixed. Edit: Isn't Gumbo supose to be spicy?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Depends on how you make the gumbo. I'd say cajun food in general is indeed one of the saving graces for American cuisine in terms of spice (and just overall awesomeness). I love me some jambalaya.

I actually made some gumbo from scratch 2 weekends ago. Good stuff.

Please somebody correct me if I'm missing some aspect of spicy American cuisine. It's a pretty broad canvas.

Top Bottom