Recent content by mahlernut

1. M

Episode 355

I would've been pretty worried if Casca hadn't screamed, really - this is the first time she's been able to react to anything that's happened to her. She was pretty much unconscious by the time Griffith dropped her to the ground after he'd raped her, and it seems likely to me that she was...
  2. M

Episode 355

Well damn. That's enough of a reason to post for the first time in, like, 10 years. :???: Sometimes art reflects life maybe a little more closely than you're prepared for! I helped to care for someone from when they were born up through childhood, was separated for years and years, and...
  3. M

Episode 289

Damn...the Best looks horrifying - my first thought with the chains, actually, was that they looked just like the ones used to bind the incubator/apostle-mass used to create the Dakas. No possible connection, of course, and the design's pretty simple and functional. But still, first thought on...
  4. M

Episode 282

Given Ganishka's freaked out expression at the thought of sacrificing all he's accomplished (and under the assumption that I've actually translated his freak-out correctly), I wonder if we might be in for a look at the first time he sacrificed everything. Thinking through the psychology of an...
  5. M

Episode 282

Awesome. Thanks for the scans. Loved the armor on the two new giants, and the art's just spectacular overall. The design of the coverings of the elephants pulling Ganishka's war-fort were especially striking. I'll get to a translation as soon as I get home...unless someone beats me to it...
  6. M

Episode 280

The usual round of huge thank-yous, Saiya!!
  7. M

The Dark Knight

Absolutely. Really good little film. I'd heard of it, thought I'd hate it, but ended up enjoying it tremendously. All I remember is a comment by Nolan after BB that Holmes wasn't going to be. Considering how large the grain of salt is that I take IMDB with, I'm persisting in that belief...
  8. M

The Dark Knight

I'm gonna argue that Katie Holmes was actually a pretty good actress, pre-Cruise. She was fantastic in Pieces of April - hell, you'd never know it was the same woman, even without the clothing and hair differences. I'm definitely not sad that she's been jettisoned from this franchise, but it's...
  9. M

Dark Horse Releases

I think it might be worth pointing something out; just being able to read katakana doesn't really enable to you figure out Japanese FX. I can read them just fine, and sometimes I haven't the vaguest notion what they mean, even with context to help. That said, if Miura didn't think the sound FX...
  10. M

CnColors

Truly sweet. Zodd's teeth especially catch my eyes. Must be the slight blue tinge to the edges. Only comment would be that, for some reason, I feel like the lightning in the breech in Ganishka's head (or maybe his head itself) should be differentiated from Guts and Zodd. Maybe it feels too...
  11. M

Episode 277

Well, it definitely wasn't how I read it (which is why the possible translations you cite are the ones I intentionally didn't use), but I can't say it's impossible. It's possible that the choice of words (憧れ) in this context seals the deal, and I just didn't catch it because of an imperfect...
  12. M

Episode 277

I found it pretty strange when Zodd closed his eyes in amusement at Sonya's prediction. As you point out, he's usually pretty straightforwardly hostile, and seeing such a nuanced reaction was kinda creepy :isidro: I wonder if Zodd ever imagined he'd come to a point in his life where he'd to...
  13. M

Episode 277

It's a fair point, and open for some discussion. Sonya refers to Guts as being Zodd's 憧れの人 (akogare no hito). Akogare can indicate a thing dreamed of, admired, desired, pursued, etc... Given Zodd's confused reaction, but also considering that he doesn't counter (as might be the case if she'd...
  14. M

Dark Horse Releases

Does anyone remember the comically bizarre sound effects that Dark Horse used when they were publishing Akira? I wonder if we should consider ourselves lucky that they've reigned themselves in? Some classics included "Grrrooo" (manhole being pushed), "Skling" (window being broken), "Flosh"...
  15. M

Episode 277

Translation posted :guts: http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=6571.new#new
Top Bottom