General Boscogne

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
Boscogne is a side character in Berserk who received only little screentime, but nevertheless left a strong impression on me as he is one of my favourite characters in Berserk. Since I feel like he hasn't received the recognition he deserves in this forum (except for this bizarre thread from 2006 - nevermind, that thread was about someone called "Boscone"), I'd like to shed some light unto the infamous leader of the Holy Purple Rhino Knights.

(This post also contains speculations which I'm happy to have discussed and/or corrected should they be deemed false. Also, spoilers ahead.)
("Boscogne" is probably correctly spelled "Boskone")

8094702-0337425642-0f14a.jpg

About
Boscogne made his first appearance in Episode 22, at the end of the Campfire of Dreams story. He is a general and leader of Tudor's strongest knight army: the Holy Purple Rhino Knights. As such, he fights on horse and wears armor which fits the title. His weapon of choice is the Bardiche, which is an intriguing choice (more to that later). Boscogne dies in Episode 27 through the hands of Guts.

Knight without Title
(As Aazealh pointed out: The english translation is wrong, which weakens the analysis of these self-descriptions. I still think the outcome of this section is valid as it fits to Boscogne. We don't have much to go off in the first place, so why not imagine a bit.)
We don't know much about Boscogne's history and himself in general. He referred to himself as "no more than a man of arms" which is an interesting self-description. The terms "Man-at-arms" and "Knights" were often used interchangeably, but while all knights equipped for war were men-at-arms, not all men-at-arms were knights. This is due to the fact that a fully armoured cavalryman could have been of lesser social status than a knight. Referring to himself as no-more than a man of arms, whilst being the leader of the Purple Rhino Knights, could be an indication that he is not of royal or noble status, but rather a knight without title who received his knighthood through military service and valor in battle.
Miura may have also indicated this to us through the interaction between Boscogne and Adon Coborlwitz, who is often referred to as "Sir Adon" and, as he himself expressed often enough through his secret techniques, is of the Coborlwitz family which is ever lasting since 700 years, hence indicating that Adon inherited his knighthood instead of actually earning it. In the course of their interaction, Adon displays a lack of concern for the men, including his own brother, whom he has just led to their demise. In contrast, Boscogne reacts with outrage and disgust at Adon's behavior, highlighting the contrasting perspectives of individuals with commoner origins and those from the nobility regarding the value attributed to common people and ordinary soldiers.

Strength

Boscogne was incredibly strong to the point where even some readers raised the questions whether he was an Apostle in disguise, which is obviously not the case - but it demonstrates his strength. He was able to fight on par with Guts which places him as one of the strongest humans we know in Berserk. Whilst doing so, he was able to slash three soldiers in half, similar to what Guts does.

His weapon: The Bardiche
25-100112.jpg

As I've already alluded to, I find his weapon very intriguing. The bardiche is a type of polearm with a length of 4 to 5 feet that originated in Eastern Europe and was commonly used by infantry soldiers. The weapon requires strength and dexterity to wield effectively. Boscogne is the only one to use this weapon, whereas the rest of the Rhino Knights seem to use halberds which differ from the bardiche in having a hook at the back and a spear-point at the top. The bardiche was especially popular among the armies of Russia, Poland, and Ukraine, which led to one of the key battles the bardiche was used in: the Battle of Grunwald in 1410.

Battle of Grunwald

(Let's fantasize here for a moment to find General Boscogne in our very own history books.)
The Battle of Grunwald, also called the First Battle of Tannenberg, was fought during the Polish-Lithuanian-Teutonic War and was one of the largest battles in medieval europe and is commonly viewed as one of the most important victories in the history of Poland and Lithuania. In it, the catholic Teutonic Order was decisively defeated which eventually completly shifted the balance of power in Central Europe. The Teutonic order never recovered from this loss and most of the Order's leadership was killed that day.
Ulrich von Jungingen, the leader of the Teutonic Order, was known for his arrogant and provocative policy towards the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and the Kingdom of Poland which would initally spark the Polish-Lithuanian-Teutonic war and utlimately lead to the end of the Teutonic Order. He was hence known for his hot-bloodedness, arrogance and selfishness.
By the bardiche alone, I discerned the links among the Holy Purple Rhino Knights of the Tudor Empire, helmed by a haughty and self-centered leader. They faced the loss of their supposedly "impregnable" fortress, Dodlrey, along with their mightiest and most notorious general, Boscogne. This sequence of events ultimately culminated in the conclusion of the hundred-year war and the defeat of the Tudor Empire.
Although this connection may not align with what Miura had intended, it is the association I personally make with the bardiche and Boscogne.

Boscogne was a charismatic, mighty, loyal and honorable general, who deserved better leadership than he had gotten. As Miura introduced later, and @Aazealh beautifully explained here, the concept of Daimons may have resulted in Boscogne, as a hero from the Golden Age, riding into battle again. However, with Miura's passing, I've lost all hope for that to occur.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
It's nice to see a thread about this character! Just so you know, the proper spelling for his name is likely Boskone, taken from the enemy faction in the Lensman series.

We don't know much about Boscogne's history and himself in general. He referred to himself as "no more than a man of arms" which is an interesting self-description. The terms "Man-at-arms" and "Knights" were often used interchangeably, but while all knights equipped for war were men-at-arms, not all men-at-arms were knights. This is due to the fact that a fully armoured cavalryman could have been of lesser social status than a knight. Referring to himself as no-more than a man of arms, whilst being the leader of the Purple Rhino Knights, could be an indication that he is not of royal or noble status, but rather a knight without title who received his knighthood through military service and valor in battle.

I'm sorry to report that you're over-interpreting Dark Horse's translation. What he says is that he's just a soldier (literally "a military man"), and his mission is simple: to defeat the enemy. It's not at all a commentary on his status. Things like these are why good translations are so important when engaging in any sort of analysis!

Miura may have also indicated this to us through the interaction between Boscogne and Adon Coborlwitz, who is often referred to as "Sir Adon"

Same thing. Adon isn't being referred to more deferentially than Boskone. The way they speak to each other leaves no doubt as to who outranks the other. Dark Horse just used "sir" to convey that Adon's men call him "Adon-sama", but it doesn't inform us on his nobility.

By the bardiche alone, I discerned the links among the Holy Purple Rhino Knights of the Tudor Empire, helmed by a haughty and self-centered leader.

That's basically just fan fiction.
:sweatdrop:

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
I'm sorry to report that you're over-interpreting Dark Horse's translation. What he says is that he's just a soldier (literally "a military man"), and his mission is simple: to defeat the enemy. It's not at all a commentary on his status. Things like these are why good translations are so important when engaging in any sort of analysis!
I was almost sure something like this would happen, but I'm glad that within the proper translation, he still describes himself as just a soldier, instead of sounding hight and mighty. Given the new translation, I still think the overall point of that section holds up, although being not as decisive as I had hoped.

That's basically just fan fiction.
:sweatdrop:
Probably, but whilst researching for the bardiche, I found this battle and the connection to it. It fitted really well. Especially since the names "Tudor" and "Teutonic" are fairly similar in sound.

Last edited:
I agree this character is marvelous. It is also the single most notable fight Guts has with a human opponent. I'm pretty sure the other human opponents were either far easier to dispatch by guts or weren't human. I always enjoy re-reading this moment, when they meet in battle. It's really epic. I wish Berserk had more such fights, more human opponents that can match Guts !
hqdefault.jpg

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
I agree this character is marvelous. It is also the single most notable fight Guts has with a human opponent. I'm pretty sure the other human opponents were either far easier to dispatch by guts or weren't human. I always enjoy re-reading this moment, when they meet in battle. It's really epic. I wish Berserk had more such fights, more human opponents that can match Guts !
Don't forget the fights with Serpico.

I would have loved to see Boscogne fight a "normal" Apostle (not Zodd and the like) - that would have been a feast!

Don't forget the fights with Serpico.

I would have loved to see Boscogne fight a "normal" Apostle (not Zodd and the like) - that would have been a feast!
I mean yeah, Serpico vs Guts was amazing, it was really fun, I liked those fights. That being said they're still nowhere near as close as Guts was with Boscogn and sure call it the fault of Guts's broken sword but I really think we don't see anything like this in any other fight!

Judo

Midlands finest
These were all good fights. But neither Serpico nor Silat made it seem to me that Guts could actually lose.
As @TheItCrOw stated, Boskone was the last human that actually pushed him to his limits. At least that's how I felt during that fight when I read it.

Yes! What a total badass. That shot of him just blasting 3 people in half while charging is straight up a Dragon Slayer moment. Obviously the likes of Serpico, Silat and Griffith are top tier fighters, but they all fight in a very technically advanced way..from a sheer strength and power perspective, are there any other human characters who pull of a feat as impressive as Boskone? (minus Guts of course).

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
To throw in another human candidate with potentially equal strength and power levels: the Tapasa. We've seen them punch through armor barefisted, so imagine what these guys could do if they were trained to wield proper weapons. :magni:

To throw in another human candidate with potentially equal strength and power levels: the Tapasa. We've seen them punch through armor barefisted, so imagine what these guys could do if they were trained to wield proper weapons. :magni:
haha I can't imagine the restraint it took Miura not to put them up against each other! :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
To throw in another human candidate with potentially equal strength and power levels: the Tapasa. We've seen them punch through armor barefisted, so imagine what these guys could do if they were trained to wield proper weapons.
:magni:

You're missing the point: they've honed their bodies to be the ultimate weapon. That's why they're the elite warriors of the Bakiraka. Same as it is for the ancient martial art of Kalarippayatt. It also seems pretty inarguable to me that they are physically stronger than someone like Boskone.

I was wondering just now about what a fight between him and a single Tapasa might look like, but in truth it's a bit pointless. Berserk being what is is, situations don't repeat themselves in easily comparable ways and the notion of "power level" doesn't apply. The fight against Boskone is unique because they're on horseback, he wields a polearm, and Guts' sword breaks during the encounter.

haha I can't imagine the restraint it took Miura not to put them up against each other! :ganishka:

Well Boskone was long dead by the time they were introduced in the story.

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
You're missing the point: they've honed their bodies to be the ultimate weapon. That's why they're the elite warriors of the Bakiraka. Same as it is for the ancient martial art of Kalarippayatt. It also seems pretty inarguable that they are physically stronger than someone like Boskone.
Oh I get the point. And I agree that they are stronger. My comment about the usage of a proper weapon was regarding the AOE damage they would be able to do with a single strike, to better compare them with @Gh0st's comment regarding "strike 3 enemies in half just like Guts with the Dragon Slayer".

They obviously don't need a weapon, as they are the weapon. :SK:

TheItCrOw!! Thank you so much for having a thread about him; Boscogne is honestly one of my favorite underrated characters as he gave guts so much trouble for being just a human. Enjoyed reading this so much!

Yes! What a total badass. That shot of him just blasting 3 people in half while charging is straight up a Dragon Slayer moment. Obviously the likes of Serpico, Silat and Griffith are top tier fighters, but they all fight in a very technically advanced way..from a sheer strength and power perspective, are there any other human characters who pull of a feat as impressive as Boskone? (minus Guts of course).

Of all the human characters that are still alive, I think Azan is strongest one in terms of strength and power levels.
He is also extremely experienced in battle.

If Guts fought him in the past, I think he would enter in very hard battle, just like he had with Boscogne.

Top Bottom