Sleep Paralysis

Have you ever had a sleep paralysis?

I often get it when I lay down on the bed during daytime and try to sleep, then I get stuck in this almost vegetable state of being aware of my presence and fully woke but unable to move very much, can't snap out of it, and when I do snap out of it the tiredness puts me back into that state unless I quickly wake up for real

Today it happened to me once again and it was truly terrifying, a thought occurred to me: what if I turn into this paralyzed being, is this what disabled people feel like? Suddenly I had an intense desire to tell my closest my final words. I was petrified, even now as I write this I feel like not caring as much for irrelevant things but to live my life more fully.
Usually Sleep Paralysis would invoke fear in me, fear of unknown, fear of something attacking me whilst being in this state but this time it was different, I wonder why.

artworks-7OaRXXjPV0vKyKVE-4XMvVg-t500x500.jpg

A lot of disabled folks have it where their brain is not sending the signals to their nerves, or they had a stroke which caused these Cerebral issues. To think it could happen to any of us at any given point is truly saddening, I wish life was not this cruel.

As of writing this, I've never experienced it myself but the concept really does sound terrifying. The fact that something like this can just happen out of nowhere completely changing your life is something I think about a lot. I sympathise with those who are currently going through that ordeal.

like 2-3 months ago I had (not for the first time) real bad sleep paralysis multiple times. The worst one, believe it or not was when I had a dream about Seth Rogen dressed as a colorful beetlejuice trying to smoke a joint with me, Seth Green (as Scott Evil) was also with him. Then I woke up, but with sleep paralysis and seth rogan was flying in the hallway (the door was open) right at me. I did everything I could but could not move, but eventually I managed to mentally flip him back into the hallway through screaming without sound, idk how to explain lol

Seth Green (as scott evil) later returned the next night where he was a serial killer and holding my girl captive. forcing me to put my hand on his bald head while he screamed and cried and moaned. pretty disturbing

Regardless, I got more scared of the fact that I knew I had sleep paralysis than the paralysis itself. As in I was scared to go to sleep because I didn’t know what would happen. At the end I had a night were I had to “face my fears” and after that no more sleep paralysis. What helped was also wearing a sleeping mask (altho its terrifying feeling paralysed and not seeing what us happening) and sleeping in a certain position

Regardless, I got more scared of the fact that I knew I had sleep paralysis than the paralysis itself. As in I was scared to go to sleep because I didn’t know what would happen. At the end I had a night were I had to “face my fears” and after that no more sleep paralysis. What helped was also wearing a sleeping mask (altho its terrifying feeling paralysed and not seeing what us happening) and sleeping in a certain position
Yeah part of you thinks the next time you get it, you will stay paralyzed forever. I'm not quite sure what causes it to happen I think there are multiple different reasons, for a time being I had them every night, but recently its been months and none. I do still have sleep disruptions for whatever reason, my mind just cannot stay asleep during the night.

guuuuuuuuts

Excited for the next chapter!
I have been in such a state and my first recommendations are:
- stop eating a few hours before bed
- heavily reduce your caffeine, sugar and alcohol intake.
- Try exercising during your day with a jump rope or jumping jacks or similar for a couple minutes per day.

When you lie down to sleep try tensing the muscles in your whole body and then releasing all of them fully, one at a time... this always helps me fall into a very deep sleep.

Last edited:
I’ve never experienced sleep paralysis. Except for one time when I was really little and sleeping in my parent’s room. since then the closest thing I’ve experienced has been very rarely being asleep with my eyes closed but I’m aware that I’m asleep, and I wanna wake up, so I have to jolt myself awake. It’s kind of hard to do and makes me anxious. But no big deal

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
No idea where you draw the line between sleep paralysis and, well, a nightmare, but a couple of months ago I was awake (I think I was) because I saw my bedroom and I was lying in bed when suddenly an older woman comes crashing in through the door with a knife - I also specifically recall loud footsteps when she ran towards me. I couldn't move (but I rarely can in my dreams, I think that's common isn't it? The whole feeling of moving and running in slow motion?) and when the woman reached my bedside I think she stabbed me and I woke up? Was sweating a lot. But I always thought it was just a bad dream. But it did feel oddly real, especially since the setting was so much like real life.

No idea where you draw the line between sleep paralysis and, well, a nightmare, but a couple of months ago I was awake (I think I was) because I saw my bedroom and I was lying in bed when suddenly an older woman comes crashing in through the door with a knife - I also specifically recall loud footsteps when she ran towards me. I couldn't move (but I rarely can in my dreams, I think that's common isn't it? The whole feeling of moving and running in slow motion?) and when the woman reached my bedside I think she stabbed me and I woke up? Was sweating a lot. But I always thought it was just a bad dream. But it did feel oddly real, especially since the setting was so much like real life.
Sounds like a nightmare. The way Sleep Paralysis works is that you are in the conscious awake state but unable to move(or very very slightly), when you're in that place you are in a realm between sleep and awake, sometimes it can be confused with a dream but it has real effects in reality, you can see the person slightly move their legs and hands, mouth opening as they try to move and get up but are unable to. Best solution is to remain calm, and try to pretend ur still sleeping then try to force urself awake, it works but takes time and patience. Its really hard NOT to panic haha, but yeah wiggle ur toes, and focus ur willpower, you'll be out of it in 30 seconds

Our brains shutdown all the systems when we go to sleep. A sleep paralysis is when it accidentally does not turn on the systems but keeps them shut despite you being conscious and awake. The whole thing sounds really ominous, when I found out what was happening I could not trust my own body :ganishka: I mean to think my own body is a threat to me..

Like guuuuuuuuts above said, it is possible to prevent it from happening by being healthier and doing things differently

Last edited:
I think that is sleep paralysis. I had something similar, had a dream i was visiting a castle and everytime a lady dressed in victorian clothes would stop me and walk me back to the castle, until I finally realize this is not good and I walk away. Then I wake up (i slept kn a matras on the ground) and there in front of the mirror the lady was standing, fixing her hair for a bit with her back towards me. I couldn’t move. Then she turned around and had like long teeth and shit amd attacked me, thats when I woke up for real

Top Bottom