Where is the story taking Guts?

Even prior to Muira’s death, there were indications that Guts is narratively being pushed to activating the behelit he is carrying and will be forced to chose whether to sacrifice those he loves the most, i.e. his new band, in return of gaining the power to defeat and kill Griffith/Femto.

I’m personally not a big fan of this, and would much rather see the behelit be someone else’s and guts was only holding onto it.

I would much rather prefer seeing Guts go down the SK route. Being killed by the Berserker armour and then reincarnated by Sierka.

Obviously a complete copy paste would not be fun, but I think a similar path without the mistakes made by SK is how Guts might be able to defeat Femto.

What do you guys think? What was Miura planning for Guts?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Even prior to Muira’s death, there were indications that Guts is narratively being pushed to activating the behelit he is carrying and will be forced to chose whether to sacrifice those he loves the most, i.e. his new band, in return of gaining the power to defeat and kill Griffith/Femto.

It's spelled MIURA. Please write his name correctly.

Anyway, no, Guts isn't going to use the beherit and sacrifice his friends. This belief betrays a number of fundamental misunderstandings about the story. For example, that Guts can just activate the beherit. That's not how it works. He asked Flora that question in volume 24, too. You have to be chosen, and clearly he hasn't been. Then there's the idea that as an apostle, he could pose any threat to Femto. This was shown to be impossible. We saw it with Zodd in volume 17, then again with Ganishka. They're called "apostles" for a reason. They are subservient to the God Hand. Lastly, there's really one specific person Guts cares about more than anything, and she's already been sacrificed, so she's not eligible. He can't just sacrifice Farnese instead, that's not how it works.

I would much rather prefer seeing Guts go down the SK route. Being killed by the Berserker armour and then reincarnated by Sierka.

Obviously a complete copy paste would not be fun, but I think a similar path without the mistakes made by SK is how Guts might be able to defeat Femto.

I'm guessing you mean "Schierke". Anyway, this will definitely not happen and isn't what Miura had in mind. Guts will stay human. You may wonder: how can he win as a simple human? Many apostles have wondered the same before. Like always, he'll win through sheer skill and determination, and of course with the critical support of his friends and his family.

Apologies about the names, it was a late night post.

I would actually be disappointed he’s able to defeat the god hand as a human, it would take away from the tragic nature of the story. Even if the nature of the story has been drifting away from tragedy.

Who do you see the beherit going to? Since it was introduced so early, Miura must have had big plans for it.

Do you think he will swallow it ala SK and start creating his own sword of actuation? An overpowered dragon slayer version, that can kill God Hand members? That would be pretty badass actually.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I would actually be disappointed he’s able to defeat the god hand as a human, it would take away from the tragic nature of the story. Even if the nature of the story has been drifting away from tragedy.

Berserk's story was never a tragedy. Terrible things do happen, but Guts always surmounts the obstacles thrown in his way. The Eclipse is an exception, the culmination of the flashback explaining how he became the Black Swordsman. That aside, it's a core tenet of the story that Guts is a human fighting inhumans. Miura was very careful with the introduction of the berserk's armor for that reason, because he didn't want to cross that line. Same with the introduction of magic users.

So it's the reverse of what you're saying: it would take away from the story and deflate all tension if Guts acquired supernatural powers, because Berserk is about an underdog opposing supernatural monsters and somehow still winning, despite being "just a human". He gets bloodied and battered but in the end, he stands triumphant.

Who do you see the beherit going to? Since it was introduced so early, Miura must have had big plans for it.

I really don't think the beherit was ever going to be used in the traditional manner, with someone just becoming an apostle. That would not be interesting at all, nor would it make much sense at this point in the story. I think Puck's constant proximity with the beherit means it has deviated from its original purpose and as a result I believe its role in the story would have been novel and unique.

Do you think he will swallow it ala SK and start creating his own sword of actuation? An overpowered dragon slayer version, that can kill God Hand members? That would be pretty badass actually.

In addition from being physically impossible (A single beherit for the entire Dragon Slayer? Guts swallowing his giant sword?), the Skull Knight's technique relies on his peculiar nature. It also wouldn't be interesting to have two characters using the same technique.

So it's the reverse of what you're saying: it would take away from the story and deflate all tension if Guts acquired supernatural powers, because Berserk is about an underdog opposing supernatural monsters and somehow still winning, despite being "just a human"

I would be very much relieved to have Guts remain as human.

In addition from being physically impossible (A single beherit for the entire Dragon Slayer? Guts swallowing his giant sword?), the Skull Knight's technique relies on his peculiar nature. It also wouldn't be interesting to have two characters using the same technique.

Yea the sword of actuation theory was pretty dumb lol.

Top Bottom