Why didn't SK kill Griffith in the golden age?

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
Greetings!

I've seen this question a lot and therefore read a lot of answers, but none of them satisfy me. The answers I've heard of include:

1. SK being controlled by "fate" (which doesn't exist)

2. SK only wanting to kill Void and the GH and he needed the eclipse to happen to get a chance to attack. (Would have been a piss poor attempt)

3. SK didn't know that Griffith would become Femto (really?)

4. SK has bigger plans with Guts and needed him to go through hell for that. (I guess)

5. SK can only appear at certain times and events and is bound to these timeslots (why would he?)

The only thing I could imagine would be answer number 4 but I lack concrete details for a concrete theory...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The real reason is that it wouldn't be very interesting as a story.

As for a reason within the story, we're told that it's very difficult to affect the God Hand's plans in the corporeal world because they're put in motion at a very high level through the principle of causality. We see an example of that when the Skull Knight tries to take out the beherit apostle before Femto can be incarnated. He gets a good hit, but only wounds him, and the ceremony still goes on. You can imagine that something similar would have happened if he had tried to kill Griffith during the Golden Age era.

The Skull Knight explains how this works to Guts at the end of volume 18. In short, it's only when it all comes together, at the climax of that storm of converging threads, that there is an opportunity to change things. That's why he bides his time, saving his attempts for when it really matters. And he does manage to make a difference sometimes, like during the Eclipse when he saved Guts and Casca.

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
The real reason is that it wouldn't be very interesting as a story.

As for a reason within the story, we're told that it's very difficult to affect the God Hand's plans in the corporeal world because they're put in motion at a very high level through the principle of causality. We see an example of that when the Skull Knight tries to take out the beherit apostle before Femto can be incarnated. He gets a good hit, but only wounds him, and the ceremony still goes on. You can imagine that something similar would have happened if he had tried to kill Griffith during the Golden Age era.

The Skull Knight explains how this works to Guts at the end of volume 18. In short, it's only when it all comes together, at the climax of that storm of converging threads, that there is an opportunity to change things. That's why he bides his time, saving his attempts for when it really matters. And he does manage to make a difference sometimes, like during the Eclipse when he saved Guts and Casca.
Ok, so it's more like: If SK did try to kill Griffith, something would have happened or stopped him from doing so, just like when he tried to kill the Egg?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, so it's more like: If SK did try to kill Griffith, something would have happened or stopped him from doing so, just like when he tried to kill the Egg?

Yep. That's why he waits for the "Junctions of Time", when causality converges to a single point, because that's when there's a real chance. But even that strategy has its limits, as we saw in volume 34. Femto expected him to strike and used his attack as the final piece in the plan to (re)create Fantasia.

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
Yep. That's why he waits for the "Junctions of Time", when causality converges to a single point, because that's when there's a real chance. But even that strategy has its limits, as we saw in volume 34. Femto expected him to strike and used his attack as the final piece in the plan to (re)create Fantasia.
I understand your points, thank you!

Top Bottom