Berserk narration and horrible things

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
I was just thinking on the rather graphic nature of Miura's depictions of horrifying occurences in the Berserk world, and specifically how they've been occuring far more frequently in the Post-Eclipse world, and arguably post-Incarnation ceremony. Now duh, it's logical since Godhand has been gaining more influence through it's completion, and the existence of one on the Material plane, but the actual acts themselves are depicted more often post-Eclipse.

In the Golden Age, the truly horrifying events were limited only to those affecting the two central figures of Guts and Griffith for the most part. What stands out are Guts's rape and Griffith's totured form. Sure Wyald has his moments of gruesome glory, but that can be seen as the heralding of the storm of the Eclipse, which was the most gruesome event depicted at that point in the manga. But it's not that horrible events weren't occuring during the Golden Age, just that they were hidden from view by the bright shining mask of the Golden Age, I suppose the King's lust for his daughter would be a good example of this.

But during that era, it can be assumed that Ganeshka, the Snake Baron, the Count, and others of their ilk were active in their various activities, as well as the Berserk everyman like Zepec. But we were not made aware of these things, because this is Guts's tale, and he wasn't aware either. When Guts's reality of the Hawks and a warrior's life were ripped away at the Eclipse, he, and the reader, became aware of the great festering evil beneath the bright surface. Thus the day-to-day activities in Berserk took a darker turn, and more gore and such was depicted, as Guts began actively seeking it out to find the subjects of his vengeance, he saw more of their actions, and his existence was far more down and dirty than it had been as a merc.

Now that Griffith is back and the planes are merging, more grusome things such as trolls can be seen, but the overall tone seems to be brightening, since Guts's own life has brightened through the gaining of comrades. But the darkness is still there, as all the functional adults have done some disturbing acts, but there's also a growing hope that Hawk of Darkness can be stopped, with the introduction of the Elemental Kings and the magical weaponry. And on the other side, the everyday lives of people has become horrifying in Midland, yet they have their own hope in Griffith, humans and apostles alike flock to him. And even though he is the Hawk of Darkness, Griffith has shown compassion outside of possible use as a tool when he saved Casca.

So what does the future hold for the grim trappings of Berserk?

I'm thinking a darker turn awaits this tale. Guts is getting comfortable with his new comrades and if something were to happen to some, if not all, Guts' rage would peak and we would see a more beast driven Guts. I don't think this dark turn will occur until after the realms become one. I see this lighter approach toward the story as the calm before the storm. My two cents on the matter.

The next fact im waiting to happen is Griffith becoming the greatest Midland King, and The Black Demon Band of gutts the most wanted enemy.

Plus, im waiting to see soon the band reaching ElfHein, Caska having his mind back, and sure many other revelations ;D

tokken_brz said:
Plus, im waiting to see soon the band reaching ElfHein, Caska having his mind back, and sure many other revelations ;D

Yeah, I'm eager to see that revelation when Caska gets his mind back. Fooled even Guts on that count.

Denial said:
Yeah, I'm eager to see that revelation when Caska gets his mind back. Fooled even Guts on that count.

Wouldnt it be better if she continue to act insane after she had recovered? Maybe now it was such case ;D

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Smith said:
Wouldnt it be better if she continue to act insane after she had recovered? Maybe now it was such case  ;D
Like Hamlet?
Personally I am waiting for her recovery like many others. I just hope she doesn't chop her hair like before. Looks more fitting long IMO.

nostyleart

Quixotic
i think casca favors the way she is and may not want to return to her sanity becuase it holds such horrible memories, but i hope she does. as for griffith, i believe he'll conquer midland, and more, but i think its not guts who will kill him, or maybe its guts who will put an end to the idea or something that can weaken and affect griffith enough to either change him, kill him, or give guts the change to kill him.

and zodd will be killed by guts and his armor. i want it that way.

nostyleart said:

I dont like Zodd being killed by Guts but rather him being defeated by Guts and after that he would follow his band as he is now convinced that Guts is the real USO he is looking for...

LOL!!! ;D

I

Italian_demon

Woland said:
And on the other side, the everyday lives of people has become horrifying in Midland, yet they have their own hope in Griffith, humans and apostles alike flock to him. And even though he is the Hawk of Darkness, Griffith has shown compassion outside of possible use as a tool when he saved Casca.

So what does the future hold for the grim trappings of Berserk?

Griffit doesn't sound an horrible entity or a being with strong feelings, i'd say he has a Goal and works to reach it, he doesn't like to kill and hurt but as it's necessary he just does it without regrets, it shows respect for the victimes anyway.
But i think he has a weakness (he's not alone in the body he choose and his reincarnation in a human body, gave him also some humanity left!)

I

Italian_demon

Miura said, he didn't really want to make an Horror Manga but a Fantasy!
So the definition "horror Manga low fantasy" in my opinion is wrong especially after the last 3 volumes!
He said in the Italian interview that he used the Horror just to attract more readers, but that he wanted to educate them to the Fantasy!
He'd start to show more and more the fantasy sould of this Manga later (as he said)...
Indeed seems that slowly this Manga is starting to show more of concepts and less of free violence, so at least for me is turning to be more interesting in the future...

It certainly has got darker in some aspects like the whole demon city is fairly dark, yet Guts's personal story has certainly been brighter as the new members have come. If they die or he parts with them the story will get darker, if they stay til the end then it will not get any more dark, prehaps even become a brighter story which has undoubtably happened in most recent volumes.

nostyleart

Quixotic
Smith said:
I dont like Zodd being killed by Guts but rather him being defeated by Guts and after that he would follow his band as he is now convinced that Guts is the real USO he is looking for...

LOL!!! ;D

i'd like this too...
then zodd would have to live on knowing he's weaker than the GH, buts, and probably SK.
he would go into depression.. or something...

nostyleart said:
i think casca favors the way she is and may not want to return to her sanity becuase it holds such horrible memories, but i hope she does.  as for griffith, i believe he'll conquer midland, and more, but i think its not guts who will kill him, or maybe its guts who will put an end to the idea or something that can weaken and affect griffith enough to either change him, kill him, or give guts the change to kill him.

Yeah but Casca also might of liked being the way she is (key word is liked (past tense)), and maybe now she might want to go back to normal now that she had plenty of time to rest or think or whatever she was doing, remember the Sword of Berserk, she was happy to see Gutts...

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
dwarfkicker said:
You have to remember though, that was before Guts forced himself upon Caska.  The game took place before that part of manga.
And as far as i remeber, Mirua didn't have anything to do with it...I may be wrong, I'll leave that to the Illumnai to decide. I don't think it was intended to be considered a main part of the story.

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Eddie said:
And as far as i remeber, Mirua didn't have anything to do with it...I may be wrong, I'll leave that to the Illumnai to decide. I don't think it was intended to be considered a main part of the story.
As I remember reading, Muira Wrote the story for the DC game so it would fit into the story( somewhere close to the end of the rebirth ceromony, but before hill of swords). Although I agree that It is in no way a major part of the story. :)

I also thought that it would take place before the reunion on the hill of swords due to Zodd and Guts dialogue before their fight. But Caska isn't wearing the same thing that she wore in the game. She's wearing what she wore during the rebirth ceremony. That's why I assumed it was after the reunion on the hill of swords.

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
dwarfkicker said:
I also thought that it would take place before the reunion on the hill of swords due to Zodd and Guts dialogue before their fight. But Caska isn't wearing the same thing that she wore in the game. She's wearing what she wore during the rebirth ceremony. That's why I assumed it was after the reunion on the hill of swords.
I think that the only change in what she's wearing is her mantle and hood. Besides this, the dress is the same one. It's possible that she may not always wear the mantle, since just after the rebirth ceromony guts was having her wear his cape. Maybe, but who knows. :)

Top Bottom