Oh hell yeah!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/16/australia.shark.ap/index.html

Too bad for the guy, but for Shark lovers, this is a pretty fucking awesome story to read.

On the other hand, hopefully these recent atacks won't set off moronic reactionaries on some half-assed anti-shark crusade.

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Wonder whats causing the shark revolution, are they feeling oppressed? Or thinking that their fellow sharks are being treated as objects only to be gawked at in an aquarium. Wow, to think two attacks within a week. ;D

D

darkbane

Guy in sea and gets eaten by shark(s) while his two friends watch from the boat... do I hear Jaws BG and senseless screams here? ;D So anyway, I guess my vacation to sunny Australia gets cancelled now... j/k

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Headless Death said:
Wonder whats causing the shark revolution, are they feeling oppressed? Or thinking that their fellow sharks are being treated as objects only to be gawked at in an aquarium. Wow, to think two attacks within a week. ;D

Meh, is there really an increase in shark attacks anyway?  Got any statistics?  The media just likes to jump on "scary" things like shark attacks and blow them out of proportion.  That sucks for the victim, but it's still shark territory, and sharks often mistake the silhouette of someone on a surfboard for usual prey, like seals.

Azn He-Man666

Was it you who killed my companions,one after one?
"A 38-year-old man was killed by a shark while spearing fish on the Great Barrier Reef off northeast Australia on Saturday."

I like this tossed in at the end.

D

darkbane

Wah wah wah said:
"A 38-year-old man was killed by a shark while spearing fish on the Great Barrier Reef off northeast Australia on Saturday."

I like this tossed in at the end.

I totally overlooked that. Great prioritizing on their part. I guess a teen getting killed is more sensational, plus there were lots of witnesses and some were in shock so that's great too (for the media that is).

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
Wah wah wah said:

Pretty ironic how it started off with him spearing fish, and it ended up with the fish spearing him.

Griffith

Wah wah wah said:

That's an old story, that's why it's just an aside at the end of this one.

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
Headless Death said:

Perhaps theres a new underwater type of rabies ::).

So far it isn't something that has been taken lightly, from what I hear I wouldn't be surprised if they start taking action to minimising the shark threat one way or another.

Already a few voting polls have suggested that we have been too lenient with the threat and such, so it will be interesting to see where it goes.
The witnesses on the news sounded pretty fucked up from what they saw, must have been hard to watch.

Personally I'm not too fussed to what will happen with this. Queensland have bothers like this, blue bottle jelly fish and some other shit yet still claim to have the best beaches in Australia. Victoria may have alot colder seas but we still have good waves and don't have to worry about any of that kind of shite. ;D

Azn He-Man666

Was it you who killed my companions,one after one?
"Griffith No More!" said:
That's an old story, that's why it's just an aside at the end of this one.
Well just Saturday, but I guess they added more information to the article now anyway. About another story... which is pretty old.

And did they add in the part about them beating the shark with oars? Or did I just miss that before?

Griffith

Sparnage said:
So far it isn't something that has been taken lightly, from what I hear I wouldn't be surprised if they start taking action to minimising the shark threat one way or another.

Already a few voting polls have suggested that we have been too lenient with the threat and such, so it will be interesting to see where it goes.

Sounds like the sharks have been too lenient about eating you guys before now. ;D

But seriously, you'd think people that want to swim in Great White Shark invested waters would assume the risks. It always pisses me off that they might do more netting bullshit or just plain killing of an important and protected species because of some sensational attacks that don't change the fact you're more likely to get struck by lightning then killed by a shark.

"Griffith No More!" said:
But seriously, you'd think people that want to swim in Great White Shark invested waters would assume the risks. It always pisses me off that they might do more netting bullshit or just plain killing of an important and protected species because of some sensational attacks that don't change the fact you're more likely to get struck by lightning then killed by a shark.
Definitely. Besides, isn`t it kinda stupid to go surfing or swimming with frogfeet(or whatever they are called in english) in sharkpopulated waters, so that when the sharks look at you from below, you look just like a seal or some other delicacy? Truth is, humans taste terrible to white sharks. Any of you ever wondered why shark-attack victims usually die from the loss of blood and not from being eaten? That is because we taste awful! The bodies of shark-attack victims are usually recovered. Would they be recovered if the sharks thought we taste good?

Griffith

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/16/australia.shark.ap/index.html

Christ, just what I was afraid of! Now they're going to kill the first big shark they find (unless the got his name ::)), or every big shark they run into because of idiots that march into Great White hunting grounds like lemmings. I like how stupid that stance is too, "Any big shark near the beach is a threat and should be destroyed." I'm sure the GOV down there knows how futile and just plain stupid that notion actually is (THEY ALL COME NEAR SHORE TO HUNT), but they have to appease the idiotic, orange-tinted, sun-stroked, brain-fevered, seal-resembling, beach bums. Honestly, what the fuck does "protected" mean in Australia when the government goes out and kills the animals they're supposed to be PROTECTING (which, more dangerously, undermines the whole program to local fisherman as well)? Revenge killings on sharks? Jesus, I thought we were beyond this shit!

Sparnage, do something! =)

This is classical with humans. As soon as something we perceive as a threat pops up, something in our subconscious screams:Kill them all!!! It`s the thing that predators scare humans. In some places hawks, falcons and such have nearly been wiped out, but the resident owls haven`t. Why? It`s because owls don`t seem as threatening as falcons. It`s just like here in Finland. A wolfpack kills a few sheep, and immediately there are people all over the place demanding that they are shot. In Finland, people who live in wolf-populated areas are understandably upset when wolves kill some dog or eat some sheep, but the fear and the hatred that most of these people feel toward the wolves is illogical. I believe that the feelings these people have against wolves is not logical, it is a subconscious fear of predators in humans that is the origin of this hatred. Humans simply can`t stand creatures who might regard them as nothing more than a meal.(Believe me. I was in a zoo looking at a female tiger and her two cubs, and suddenly she looked up and stared at me like I was some sort of hors`deuvre)

d00kiemastah

All I want to do is...bicycle.
This entire situation looks very similar to that Bill Murray movie that's coming out pretty soon...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362270/

"Plot Outline: With a plan to exact revenge on a mythical shark that killed his partner, oceanographer Steve Zissou (Murray) rallies a crew that includes his estranged wife (Huston), a journalist (Blanchett), and a man who may or may not be his son (Wilson)."

Queenfan01 said:
This entire situation looks very similar to that Bill Murray movie that's coming out pretty soon...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362270/

"Plot Outline: With a plan to exact revenge on a mythical shark that killed his partner, oceanographer Steve Zissou (Murray) rallies a crew that includes his estranged wife (Huston), a journalist (Blanchett), and a man who may or may not be his son (Wilson)."
I can feel my brain rotting just by reading the plot outline.....

Kakkoii_Guts

海賊王になる男だ
They should just exterminate the idiots that decide swimming in shark infested waters is a good idea. ;)

This whole thing reminds me of something I saw on television the other day. These fat bastards were hunting a leopard that they said killed their livestock. They managed to get the leopard cornered and they shot him. These morons thought they killed him, but they were wrong. In two short seconds the leopard leapt out and bit moron number one twice in the arm all the way to the bone... I wish it would have gotten his throat.

I really want to see "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou".

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
As the only predator in the world with an inordinate amount of time to entertain our own vanity concerning our 'place at the top of the foodchain', we naturally despise any uppity cartilage fish that shows us up. This sort of reaction is only partly stimulated by fear; after all, if we trully feared them, we might still revere them as gods, or at least sea-demons.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Kakkoii_Guts said:
They should just exterminate the idiots that decide swimming in shark infested waters is a good idea. ;)

Well, it seems the sharks take care of that already.

Top Bottom