Anybody on Myspace?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
nfries88 said:
Thanks for saying something Aaz, and sorry to those two for leeching their bandwidth for last couple of months.

No problem. Let's move on now that this is solved.

The Perineum Falcon said:
There, that's my reasoning. It's reasonable, ain't it?

I guess it is. FAG. :ganishka:

Nah, seriously, I think it's the main draw for normal people (to keep in touch with friends they don't see anymore). Doesn't mean I'm ever getting one such thing, though. :void:

Aazealh said:
Doesn't mean I'm ever getting one such thing, though. :void:
Why, exactly? There's no harm in getting one. It's not like you need to check on it daily, semi-daily, or even weekly. Hell, I only check up on it when I get an email about someone wanting to add me or sending me a message or something.
Myspace provides a nice, free piece of webspace for less-than-techie internet users. That's the glory of it in my eyes. If everyone was easily capable of renting a server for webhosting and creating their own blog-type page themselves, I'm sure more people would do it. Until that happens, there's myspace [and facebook, and potspace, and probably a dozen other sites].

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Don't you want to be my friend on face book!?
Rhombaad said:
But then how will I know for sure if we're friends or not? :troll:
:ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad & VHB said:
DUN U WANNA BE MY FRIEND?

Damn you guys, damn you all to hell!! :guts:

nfries88 said:
Why, exactly? There's no harm in getting one.

I have absolutely no interest in social networking websites. I don't have a need for them. I dislike their methods, their various user interfaces and their general user base as well.

nfries88 said:
It's not like you need to check on it daily, semi-daily, or even weekly. Hell, I only check up on it when I get an email about someone wanting to add me or sending me a message or something.

Yes, I know how it works, thank you. However, I don't have a particular compulsion to add people to a list, and when someone wants to contact me, he or she can send me an email, or use an instant messaging software. I'm also not interested in having a page detailing my life (not a fan of livejournal and blogs either). Consider me a grumpy old man. :guts:

PS: Besides, all my friends are here on SK.net, they're my real family! :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
My problem with MySpace in general is how mundane and awful most of the pages are. It's truly a visual punch in the gut.

These people put absolutely zero effort in making their personal pages presentable. They'll slap on a 200x150 pixel stretched picture of their favorite band as a background, have Linkin Park playing loudly in a shitty low-grade mp3, and have all their friends saying either: "THX FOR ADING MEEEEEEEEEEE" or "Click here to see who has a crush on you at school IT REALLY WORKS!" Imagine if you were Brendan Fraser in Encino Man thrust into the modern world from your simple, prehistoric lifeand and you accidentally stumbled onto MySpace. It'd be enough to kill the poor guy and he'd never go on to star in The Mummy, or The Mummy Returns. A blessing and a curse.

I host my own blog for my friends where we all type updates on what's going on in our lives, but it's private and not for general consumption of the unwashed masses.

Walter said:
My problem with MySpace in general is how mundane and awful most of the pages are. It's truly a visual punch in the gut.
I think they try. Well, try not to try. I'm sure you know what I mean, even if you don't understand how I said it.

These people put absolutely zero effort in making their personal pages presentable. They'll slap on a 200x150 pixel stretched picture of their favorite band as a background, have Linkin Park playing loudly in a shitty low-grade mp3, and have all their friends saying either: "THX FOR ADING MEEEEEEEEEEE" or "Click here to see who has a crush on you at school IT REALLY WORKS!"
Yeah, there's definitely those people. Then there's the people who litter their page with random images, animations, and of course youtube/myspace videos. Then there's people who didn't even put enough effort into their page to find random garbage to throw on there, and simply use a layout generated by some crappy online layout generator or created by some talented anime fanboy for use by untalented anime fanboy/girls. Of course, there are also people who do some combination of the above; as well as people who never change the default layout and have a 3-sentence comment about themselves, and beyond that never customize a page about themselves.
It should be no surprise that there are these types of people on myspace, though. This community is doing rather well but if you look at many online communities you will find them filled mostly by human scum and if you look at how the average IM user types you will find them seemingly illiterate. It is now pretty common for people to have quality internet access at their homes (at least in the states), which means that any lazy jackass can hop online and do as he or she pleases.

Imagine if you were Brendan Fraser in Encino Man thrust into the modern world from your simple, prehistoric lifeand and you accidentally stumbled onto MySpace. It'd be enough to kill the poor guy and he'd never go on to star in The Mummy, or The Mummy Returns. A blessing and a curse.
Can't argue there.

I host my own blog for my friends where we all type updates on what's going on in our lives, but it's private and not for general consumption of the unwashed masses.
I did that for a time as well, but found myself too lazy to maintain it.

Top Bottom