Bayonetta

When you die yes, you only lose a few moments. Say though, you need to up and leave suddenly. There's no way to save from a point of your choice.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Proj2501 said:
When you die yes, you only lose a few moments. Say though, you need to up and leave suddenly. There's no way to save from a point of your choice.

Ah gotcha, yea that does suck. Luckily I played the game straight through, with only one break to sleep (left my xbox on though so I could just pick up in the morning).

Oburi said:
Ah gotcha, yea that does suck. Luckily I played the game straight through, with only one break to sleep (left my xbox on though so I could just pick up in the morning).

Haha. You animal. But yeah, that's my complaint about the game. I'll be playing it, get invites from other people who want to play different games while I'm in the middle of Bayonetta which just gets me frustrated.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Luckily I played the game straight through, with only one break to sleep (left my xbox on though so I could just pick up in the morning).

No wonder you got a RRoD. :ganishka:

I was upset that there was never a special edition for this game (I'm spoiled like that) so I imported and got the climax edition from Australia. I also got the US version for my gf since she really liked the demo as well as I did. The climax edition came with a preorder incentive. A replica of the Scarborough Fair gun which I was really looking forward to. Unfortunately, the gun is crap. The actual gun itself looks fine and all but the paint job is terrible. Definitely needs a new one.

Proj2501 said:
During the cinematics, their lips don't move. Don't tell me it's style either. It's laziness. And if it IS the style they were going for then it's a piss poor 'Style'.

If the game is anything like the demo I don't have anything to complain about except this. I don't understand why cutscenes like that were not fully animated. I mean most games nowadays have fully animated cutscenes. It IS laziness as you say. Beyond that I have no problems with anything else.

Proj2501 said:
P.S. The music. *shudders* Oh god, the music.....

Wha? Different tastes I guess but I really like the music. The fight music in the demo especially. Course I haven't played the full game yet so don't know anything other than that one.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ori said:
I was upset that there was never a special edition for this game (I'm spoiled like that) so I imported and got the climax edition from Australia. I also got the US version for my gf since she really liked the demo as well as I did. The climax edition came with a preorder incentive. A replica of the Scarborough Fair gun which I was really looking forward to. Unfortunately, the gun is crap. The actual gun itself looks fine and all but the paint job is terrible. Definitely needs a new one.

If you're planning on having someone redo the paint job please take pictures, I'd be interested in seeing the before/after comparison.

ori said:
Wha? Different tastes I guess but I really like the music. The fight music in the demo especially. Course I haven't played the full game yet so don't know anything other than that one.

Well, there's only two tracks that play everytime you fight. One (which I've only heard twice) is a god awful J-Pop rendition of "Fly Me to the Moon" and the other one makes me wanna jam cutips in my ear.

turkitage

ターク
Oburi said:
You really shouldn't do that man, it comes together at the end pretty nicely, and if you skip scenes then you'll be even more lost and confused by then end and you start complaining how the story didn't make any sense (yes I'm implying that it does sort of make sense at the end).

You're right. I actually did not skip scenes that I haven't already watched (though it was very tempting!). I just did it when i died and had to rewatch a scene. Cause yeah, even though it was a bit painful I figured I'd just watch though it to get the full effect of the game.

Slime_Beherit said:
To skip a cut-scene , hold the right and left triggers (or R2 and L2) then press Back (or select) this should skip the cut-scene much faster.

Thank you so much!! Wish i knew about this earlier, already beat the game = [

But overall like I said it's a pretty fun button masher game (yes there is a little skill to it). About the whole Japanese culture thing I can see what ya mean yesmilord. It actually took me a VERY long time to enjoy some of the goofy stuff in anime/manga cause I normally can't stand it - which is why I like Berserks dark fantasy so much. But with Puck and other animes it kinda got me liking that kinda stuff in small doses.

[quote author=Aazealh]
You know fan service is not that popular in mainstream Japan, right? It's not a nationwide cultural phenomenon. It's gratuitous by definition, caters to a certain crowd and isn't particularly glorious. In fact I'd say the presence of fan service in a series tends to diminish its cultural and/or intellectual value. Also, just so you know, Bayonetta isn't a stellar hit in Japan despite all the advertisement or Famitsu's 40/40, and like its predecessors (the DMC series) it will perform much better in the Western market than in its country of origin.
[/quote]
Glad you mentioned this. I'm not as familiar with the culture so I couldn't really say much. I kinda was thinking it was like yesmilord was stating until now. Guess I should read up on the culture more.

I don't really get the bashing of the story in this game. Yeah, it's kind of dumb and pretty goofy, but that's pretty much par for the course in video games. Let's be honest, there is no way on earth anyone could possibly think this story is actually stupider than the story of Metal Gear Solid 4. Anything that leads to me
driving a motorcycle up a rocket-propelled skyscraper flying into space so I can punch God into the sun with my hair
is worth the price of admission.

Triple Life said:
I don't really get the bashing of the story in this game. Yeah, it's kind of dumb and pretty goofy, but that's pretty much par for the course in video games. Let's be honest, there is no way on earth anyone could possibly think this story is actually stupider than the story of Metal Gear Solid 4. Anything that leads to me
driving a motorcycle up a rocket-propelled skyscraper flying into space so I can punch God into the sun with my hair
is worth the price of admission.

I beg to differ. Best way to play Bayonetta is to mute the cutscenes. Come on. MGS4 is worse than this? Please. While MGS4 can get way out there it doesn't hold a candle to how ludicrous Bayonetta gets. However, I knew that going in: Don't expect a story. Since the gameplay is solid and fun I just wish there was one.

I love MGS4, but "Yep, nanomachines" and
"Yep, I brainwashed myself to save the world"
(Not sure who is interested and hasn't played it yet, but why not?) aren't great plot devices. Plus all kinds of things that they don't even bother justifying. Bayonetta's plot isn't great and the story basically doesn't move forward at all until the last few levels of the game, but the main difference is it doesn't tell you to take the dumb shit seriously. It's just silly and fun and gets you from point A to point B. The only times I felt compelled to skip cutscenes was when I had already seen them.

I guess it all boils down to taste, though I never thought anything was offensively bad.

yesmilord

千年王国
Aazealh said:
You know fan service is not that popular in mainstream Japan, right? It's not a nationwide cultural phenomenon. It's gratuitous by definition, caters to a certain crowd and isn't particularly glorious. In fact I'd say the presence of fan service in a series tends to diminish its cultural and/or intellectual value. Also, just so you know, Bayonetta isn't a stellar hit in Japan despite all the advertisement or Famitsu's 40/40, and like its predecessors (the DMC series) it will perform much better in the Western market than in its country of origin.

This really sounds like you believe someone has to be a fine connoisseur of the arts to enjoy what is objectively lowbrow humor and cheap eye-candy. Not that there's anything wrong with you enjoying it, but it's not why the game is excellent and it's not why people are buying it (compare the numbers to those of One Chanbara, for example). Kamiya himself never hid the fact that the scenario wasn't the game's strong point.

Indeed, indeed.

I never meant to say that it was an overwhelming force in Japan - what I meant to say that anime in more recent years has become riddled with fanservice. I also never stated that it was "glorious" and you totally have the wrong idea if you think that I believe that it's some culturally gratifying experience. That is NOT why the game excellent, and that is NOT why people are buying it. I was solely commenting on the distaste that some peers feel towards the game's flamboyant content.

Forgive some of my generalizations, I hang around anime nerds way too much (and I mean serious otaku, nico-video mongering fanatics).

Top Bottom