Berserk on a motion picture?!?!?

ranemaka13 said:
How about we throw ZeroGrave from the train, instead? He's the worst!

One more versus thread and I'll buy the ticket. XD

That was actually the first versus thread I had ever seen on SK.net.

Z

ZeroGraveVII

...........I been away, for two days and already someone is ......
Be nice......( Talking to myself )
>:(

1..2..3..4..5..6..7..8..9...all is well and fine...no murdering feelings...

ZeroGraveVII said:
...........I been away, for two days and already someone is ......
Be nice......( Talking to myself )
>:(

1..2..3..4..5..6..7..8..9...all is well and fine...no murdering feelings...

I was joking around. I'm not saying anything seriously. He joked about murdering you so I played along. I was saying I know what he meant. Read my early posts and see that someone could have said this about me aswell. ;)

Relax.

Z

ZeroGraveVII

I know, I said. I would be nice and I have been. No insults, so yay.

The plot is too complex to fit into a motion picture. There are certain guidelines any director [in his right mind] has to follow. NO ONE is going to watch a 4 hour film that's crammed with a bunch of monologues and angsting. Berserk takes time to understand and appreciate, it's not movie material.

That and there wouldn't be time for slan and the godhand, so we wouldn't have to worry about the lingerie scene :p. They'd probably just pick a few scenes to highlight Guts's strength and ability and fluff the rest up with his caska relationship and Griffith's role :-[ That, and the pacing in the berserk manga isn't the best. As much as I adore it, it seems to get lost every now and then before jumping back on the track.

"Griffith No More!" said:
It's called ebb and flow, actually.

That's one way to try and justify it, but I see it differently.. The flow of the different plot threads is the only thing that I dislike about this manga.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
emlan_xyu said:
That's one way to try and justify it, but I see it differently.. The flow of the different plot threads is the only thing that I dislike about this manga.
Are you sure it's not just your impatience?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
emlan_xyu said:
NO ONE is going to watch a 4 hour film that's crammed with a bunch of monologues and angsting.

Well, lots of people went to watch Star Wars: Episode III after all. Thanks God it didn't last 4 hours. Anyway, apart from the fact that the word "angsting" doesn't exist, there's really no angst in Berserk. There's grief, anger and hatred on the contrary.

emlan_xyu said:

It's what it is to have a non-linear plot. There's really no "justification" needed here, it's a pretty common literary device... You'd be a bit more credible if you at least tried to point out what you dislike instead of making vague statements. I, for one, only see good, meticulous pacing from volume 01 through 28.

Walter said:
Are you sure it's not just your impatience?

No, I read the whole thing and really enjoyed it. I don't HATE berserk at all, so back off. My argument is that the way it is set up would make it hard to translate into film. You would lose the feeling and tone of the manga trying to squish all of the emotions into 3 hours.

Aazealh said:
Well, lots of people went to watch Star Wars: Episode III after all. Thanks God it didn't last 4 hours. Anyway, apart from the fact that the word "angsting" doesn't exist, there's really no angst in Berserk. There's grief, anger and hatred on the contrary.

It's what it is to have a non-linear plot. There's really no "justification" needed here, it's a pretty common literary device... You'd be a bit more credible if you at least tried to point out what you dislike instead of making vague statements. I, for one, only see good, meticulous pacing from volume 01 through 28.

I didn't mean the angsting comment in a negative way. It was more to demonstrate that the average movie go-er will see it as a big pity party for guts, BECAUSE they have NOT read it, so don't feel like you have to defend it in that respect. I know it wouldn't be the same movie if you got rid of some of the more intense emotional scenes.

(I'm new to this, so excuse me for not properly quoting. I still haven't figured out how to use the tags)

As for the problems I saw in pacing, I remember first thinking to myself that there was something strange going on after volume 17. I'll go look through it and see if I can give you the specific volumes and examples.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
emlan_xyu said:
No, I read the whole thing and really enjoyed it. I don't HATE berserk at all, so back off.

Well, nobody said you hated Berserk, don't get worked up over it.

emlan_xyu said:
My argument is that the way it is set up would make it hard to translate into film. You would lose the feeling and tone of the manga trying to squish all of the emotions into 3 hours.

The whole idea of cramming the entire Berserk story in one or two movies is just ridiculous anyway, there's no need to even evoke it. And cutting stuff out in order to shorten it wouldn't work well either, no matter what brilliant plans people may have. The only way would be to do a very specific part (original or not), and that would make the movie almost only accessible to fans. Anyway all of this has been discussed over and over already so... No need to go on.

emlan_xyu said:
I didn't mean the angsting comment in a negative way. It was more to demonstrate that the average movie go-er will see it as a big pity party for guts, BECAUSE they have NOT read it, so don't feel like you have to defend it in that respect.

I'm just being picky on the vocabulary employed. Different words with different meanings, subtle nuances that have their importance. Besides, the word "angsting" really doesn't exist. ;)

emlan_xyu said:
(I'm new to this, so excuse me for not properly quoting. I still haven't figured out how to use the tags)

No problem, just try not to double post if possible.

emlan_xyu said:
As for the problems I saw in pacing, I remember first thinking to myself that there was something strange going on after volume 17. I'll go look through it and see if I can give you the specific volumes and examples.

Sure, that would be great.

What cast would you choose for an live-action version of Berserk?

My pick :guts:

berserkliveaction.jpg

Caska – Halle Berry
Griffith – Tom Cruise
Guts - Randy Orton (wrestling)
Puck – Elijah Wood :puck: hehe

EDIT:
Oh, and Famke Janssen as Slan ^^
ondtjej.jpg

Could be a film with episodes :???:

1º Movie (Vol. 1 to start of eclipse, when Griff attempts suicide) <- 3 hour movie / resume 100 year war.

2º Movie (Eclipse till Hill of the Swords or after Griff has reborned [Guts sees Griff in both]) <- 3 hour movie

3º Movie (Battle on the Hill till Vitranis being invaded :???:) <- 2.30 hour movie

Had to be really good actors thoug.

*thinkin*

Nope.. It will never happen :miura:

For Director:
Spielberg or Peter Jackson

Actors:

Guts - Mark Wahlberg
48m.jpg

Griffith -Brad Pitt
38m.jpg

Casca - Jessica Alba
28m.jpg

Judeau - Johnny Depp
38m.jpg

Serpico - Orlando Bloom
image2.jpg

Isidro - Haley Joel Osment
48m.jpg

Farnese - Cate Blanchett
th-CateBlanch_Vespa_4537377_400.jpg

Slan -
ondtjej.jpg
:serpico:

Void - Void's dubbed voice in the anime (he would be CGI)

Zodd - Joaquin Phoenix
38m.jpg

Skull Knight - Russel Crowe's voice

Schierke - Dakota Fanning
th-DakotaFann_Grani_5155630_400.jpg

Corkus - Adam Sandler (has to be a funny guy)
38m.jpg

Pippin - Michael Clarke Duncan
c-duncan.jpg

ok Zodd and Corkus are pretty bad.. Guts is the worst

But with a little make up Joaquin would look like Zodd
the rest i think it's ok..

ZKK

Sentient Entropy.
I'm not really a fan of these types of threads...
But I rather stupidly found myself thinking, though he's a little old for it now...

• walken.jpg
    gambino.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ZKK said:
But I rather stupidly found myself thinking, though he's a little old for it now...

Not bad, compared to that picture of the anime. Now, if you compare it to the manga... Not sure.

Gambinoface.jpg

Top Bottom