Berserk: The Black Swordsman by studio ECLYPSE

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Not to be a debby downer, but there are more fan projects coming, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOTKBuLAeBk

Saw this a few days ago. Like you suggest, it's just more of the same. What I find amusing is that for something that purports to do justice to the Black Swordsman arc, it doesn't actually feature a real scene from said arc, going so far as to focus on the crimson beherit and Casca, who were introduced in the Golden Age arc.

"If this isn't the best time to be a Berserk fan, then I don't know when it will be."
Ouch! Maybe part of this "boom" of fan projects is related to how people is trying to cope with Miura's death and the fact that many are not satisfied with the continuation; then ppl try to relive the good ol' days.

I haven't been in the fandom long enough to estimate whether there is indeed said "boom" nowadays; though it is pinpointed above by the fellows in this thread.

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
Ouch! Maybe part of this "boom" of fan projects is related to how people is trying to cope with Miura's death and the fact that many are not satisfied with the continuation; then ppl try to relive the good ol' days.
I think its quiet the opposite unfortunately - most people will be satisfied with the continuations and Miura's death brought forth a kind of sentimental boom. Add to that the lack of a proper anime (1997 is probably way too old for most people to actually watch it) and pow! Let's pick up where the 3 movies ended: The Black Swordsman Arc or Lost Children Arc... whatever! it's all the same right? Guts angry, Guts smash!

But since the Lost Children arc seems to be always neglected by the studios, I don't mind having at least fan projects for it :iva:

Oh man if they're working on AOT Requiem then you should definitely not hold out hope for this lol
I don't even get why people get excited for any of their projects, from what I've seen they've shown nothing other than some 2-5 second animations.
And people somehow trust them with not only full episodes but even entire series.
Plus throwing some wild claims like having 100+ talented animators.
Feels like they should start with some 5min shorts before moving to entire series, kinda jumping for 0 to 1000 here.
Unless I'm missing something and they actually have done some sizable animations before.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I don't even get why people get excited for any of their projects, from what I've seen they've shown nothing other than some 2-5 second animations.

Well, here's my take from the other thread.

Feels like they should start with some 5min shorts before moving to entire series, kinda jumping for 0 to 1000 here.

Unless I'm mistaken this project is just to produce "a short animation". It's the result of a twitter poll from September.

Unless I'm mistaken this project is just to produce "a short animation". It's the result of a twitter poll from September.
Oh well that makes a ton of sense now.
I (like many others), thought they were going to be adapting the entire thing, especially with their wording "We aim to create a proper 2D adaptation of the stories that have been neglected of this medium, starting from the beginning".

I actually can’t blame people for being starved for animated content. Even if it isn’t good. It’s baffling how there are still zero acceptable anime adaptions. Money and budget aside.

I actually can’t blame people for being starved for animated content. Even if it isn’t good. It’s baffling how there are still zero acceptable anime adaptions. Money and budget aside.
i think even though its not acceptable to berserk standards the 97' anime is good by anime standards and the golden age memorial edition is an overall great pick

while there is something to be said for the quality of this one (or the lack of) i think that studio eclypse has a standing chance of handling black swordsman, especially considering that its the simplest and shortest arc of berserk. we'll see how it turns out though.
In the span of just 27 seconds, the Studio Eclypse teaser included:
  • A whitewashed Casca
  • Orange skin-colored Guts
  • Animation of Guts swinging sword/decapitating soldier, literally traced from the Studio 4C 2008 Pilot animation
No thank you.

• A whitewashed Casca
  • Orange skin-colored Guts
  • Animation of Guts swinging sword/decapitating soldier, literally traced from the Studio 4C 2008 Pilot animation
No thank you.
idk, looks alright to me. also i was saying it has a chance and looked better. maybe i also didn't get this across but i think its relative, it looks better than the black swordsman animation we just got

Last edited:
idk, looks alright to me. also i was saying it has a chance and looked better. maybe i also didn't get this across but i think its relative, it looks better than the black swordsman animation we just got
The animation undoubtedly looks better than Sweetheartist's short, but it isn't impressive when all they did was trace frames from another piece of animation and get all the credit. It makes me suspect the animator's integrity and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if other cuts that aren't traced from elsewhere look worse animation-wise.

• A whitewashed Casca
Whitewashing refers to the act of turning non-"White" (Europid) characters into "White" people. Since Casca is from Midland or Tudor or surrounding territories, she's likely always meant to have been Europid or "White" since those are clearly European-inspired countries (Anglo-France and Germany).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Whitewashing refers to the act of turning non-"White" (Europid) characters into "White" people. Since Casca is from Midland or Tudor or surrounding territories, she's likely always meant to have been Europid or "White" since those are clearly European-inspired countries (Anglo-France and Germany).

Casca has brown skin. While it doesn't strictly equate to the Hollywood practice of casting white actors for non-white characters, I don't think it's a stretch to view the whitening of her skin tone as a form of "whitewashing" in the context of an animated production.

The animation undoubtedly looks better than Sweetheartist's short, but it isn't impressive when all they did was trace frames from another piece of animation and get all the credit. It makes me suspect the animator's integrity and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if other cuts that aren't traced from elsewhere look worse animation-wise.
fair point

either way berserk is fictional and Casca is black. it could be lighting, also if miura wanted her to be white he would've made her white but shes not.

Casca has brown skin. While it doesn't strictly equate to the Hollywood practice of casting white actors for non-white characters, I don't think it's a stretch to view the whitening of her skin tone as a form of "whitewashing" in the context of an animated production.
I guess you're right.

I just stumbled across this https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...to-be-everything-the-2016-anime-wasnt/.203955
Online animation group Studio Eclypse announced in early October that its team has begun pre-production on a BERSERK: The Black Swordsman fan animation. The staff of the project expressly stated the animation will not include the "Golden Age arc" of Kentarou Miura's manga and will focus on "The Black Swordsman arc." The project will include "adaptation of the stories that have been neglected of this medium."

Yay or nay?
I'm keeping my expectations guarded.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
We talked about it in the chat a few times. It’s hard for me to get excited about adapting Berserk period. Let alone get excited for the 1000th version of these fan-made things that never actually deliver a finished work.

Top Bottom