Books

M

Marcus

BTW any suggestions for other good Books on Japanese culture?
I once heard about a book that analyzed Samurai culture and its impact on modern age society.

Hmm.. Book of the Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi, Art of War by Sun Tzu, Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa, and Code of the Samurai : A Modern Translation of the Bushido Shoshinsu.

I have yet to get a copy of Book of the Five Rings but I believe they are suppose to be very good.

Err.. and don't forget Bushido: The Way of the Samurai by Tsunetomo Yamamoto. ;)

BOB

poruno sutâ
Hmm.. Book of the Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi, Art of War by Sun Tzu, Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa, and Code of the Samurai : A Modern Translation of the Bushido Shoshinsu.

I have yet to get a copy of Book of the Five Rings but I believe they are suppose to be very good.

Err.. and don't forget Bushido: The Way of the Samurai by Tsunetomo Yamamoto. ;)

Great you ruined my plans for getting a new graphic card

Lliugusamui

around the corner
oh i see...

are you really "Magus-Himself" himself? i can't believe it...

You fucking sharp as a tack
I guess, anyway, that he is himself, and i'd be the only one not kidding in a way or another with that ... :-/ :-X

Ckrisz

Brooklyn Representah
The best fantasy novels I've read yet are George R. R. Martin's A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE series. Brutal and unrelenting, but also funny and even tragic. Remind of BERSERK a great deal, and close reading is a must. Truly great stuff. Three books so far, with six or seven planned ... anyone who likes BERSERK will like this series, as it's supreme for many of the same reasons.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0553573403/qid=1021933898/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/002-9484353-6940840

Ckrisz

Brooklyn Representah
Hey trapped_soul, what's been doin on the board?

I'm sure because the ASOIAF series is good for the same reasons BERSERK is good --- great characters, tragic storylines, lots of politics and fighting, absolutely brutal realism ... and so on. And least that's why normal folks like BERSERK ... :)

For all you nutsos, there's incest, lots of dwarf sex (in the second book especially), rampaging murder-rape-plunder Mongol-analogue hordes, underage teenage sex and rape, crazed teenage killers, good people being ruthlessly butchered by bastards, and so on. ;)

Maria

It's all about the hat...
I'd second A Song of Ice and Fire. It's some of the best fantasy that has been written in a long time. George RR Martin is a genius.

Another favorite is Glen Cook's The Black Company. The first six books of this series are brilliant (although the series loses steam after that). It's about a mercenary company caught up in a war of sorcery. Very well done, although his writing style is more sparse than Martin's. Here is some info about that series: http://www.shout.net/~bburgner/blackco.html

Top Bottom