Borgoff's art

CnC

Ad Oculos
Hey there Borgoff.

Another good reproduction :guts:

There are some proportion issues going on on the length of the arms and legs. Remember to base these measurements based on the size of the head. Also, the feet seem a bit odd in their angles.

Good work, tho

Yeh, I noticed the one arm was a bit long. I'll fix it all up when the coloring happens.

EDIT: This is a question for Cnc and/or Lith (or anyone who has an idea)...On that Guts picture I just posted I realized I inked the blood splatters on his sword and cloak...although I'm happy with the inking itself...it shouldn't be there considering I want to color it. :miura: I know photoshop pretty well, but I was wondering if you guys have any tips since you probably have to deal with this type of thing all the time since the manga is obviously B/W. (If you could direct me to a tutorial or something. Any help appreciated.)

Don't know if you've seen it already, but here's a tutorial Lith made http://webspace.ringling.edu/~ccannon/berserk/photoshop.html. You can find it in the stickied thread (http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=5603.0) of the creation station and in Lith's own thread on the first page (http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=3200.0).
Hope it helps.

Thanks man, I've skimmed through Lith's stuff (which is awesome :guts:)and didn't find exactly what I was looking for just yet. I think I might just have to paint over it or something. All I need really is a way to make coloring over the black (where the blood should be) with reds. I've seen Lith do a good job with the Berserk armor so I thought there might be an easier way of doing it. I'll come up with something. Thanks again.

CnC

Ad Oculos
There are many ways to go about doing this. You could use one of the blend modes (screen, or another one that affects only blacks) and paint on that. Personally. I'd use the ink drawing as a mask of a blank layer and paint the desired colors on that blank layer. That way I'd only affect the parts that are inked.

These are called "color holds" in the comic industry. Basically it means changing the color of the black ink.

That's amazing. I've used that type of technique for other things but I totally didn't think of it this time. Thanks again man.

Very cool :zodd:, I like his breast-plate especially and the overall shadowing. Maybe it's just me, but he seems more correct now proportionally not only in terms of the arm (seems to be a bit thinner than before...or maybe it's just the bigger pic, duh.) Anyway, keep those coming :badbone:

Chung said:
Maybe it's just me, but he seems more correct now proportionally not only in terms of the arm

Yeh, I didn't even notice it looked all squashed at first till you guys let me know. (I'm a fan of criticism btw. :chomp:) Even when I look at it in my sketchbook it's still not noticable right off the bat. All I had to do was re-size it a bit, so thanks for the advice. Always appreciated. I'll have the roughs of Bazuzo and Griffith hopefully up for you guys to critique later on tonight. :zodd:

Finished Guts Battler

Here's an easier to view pic of the finished Guts battler I was working on. :zodd:
gutscolorcopy1.jpg

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
I really like it, Borgoff!

Hey, would you mind if I used it as a new avatar? It's a really nice piece. Not sure if it would fit or not without resizing, but it's a good piece. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Great drawing, but the official colors are quite different:

http://www.skullknight.net/encyclopedia/merchandise/manga/images/04high.jpg

Walter said:
Great drawing
Thanks.
Walter said:
but the official colors are quite different
Yeh I was aware of that at the time. I was thinking of doing it by the manga covers, but I decided to use the anime colors as a reference instead mainly because I assumed people would recognize them better since the manga is B/W. If everyone would rather I go by the manga covers then that's fine, but I don't plan on re-doing this one of Guts any time soon.  :badbone:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Borgoff said:
Thanks.Yeh I was aware of that at the time. I was thinking of doing it by the manga covers, but I decided to use the anime colors as a reference instead mainly because I assumed people would recognize them better since the manga is B/W. If everyone would rather I go by the manga covers then that's fine, but I don't plan on re-doing this one of Guts any time soon. :badbone:
Well, I was just bringing it to your attention. It's up to you what you base your colors on. But when I was coloring character entries for the Encyclopedia section, I personally wanted it to be as accurate as possible, so nerds like myself don't come crawling out of the woodwork to "correct" me :guts:

Walter said:
Well, I was just bringing it to your attention.  It's up to you what you base your colors on.  But when I was coloring character entries for the Encyclopedia section, I personally wanted it to be as accurate as possible, so nerds like myself don't come crawling out of the woodwork to "correct" me  :guts:

Yeh, that definately makes sense. Sticking with the manga is always what works. As far as colors go I just find it somewhat limited. But if I don't use the exact colors I'll atleast keep it in the same ballpark. Bazuzo and Griffith are pretty much fool-proof so that should keep the nerds at bay. :miura:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Borgoff said:
Yeh, that definately makes sense. Sticking with the manga is always what works. As far as colors go I just find it somewhat limited. But if I don't use the exact colors I'll atleast keep it in the same ballpark. Bazuzo and Griffith are pretty much fool-proof so that should keep the nerds at bay. :miura:
Griff's hair is tricky though. It's blonde in one shot, purple in others, but I think ultimately it's white with light-blue in shadows. Coloring armor is always difficult for me too, especially his. He's the White Hawk, but how to make "white" armor interesting? Anyway, you've caught me rambling. If the above Guts image is an indication of the quality of the others, it looks like you have everything under control. Good luck on the rest.

IsolatioN said:
Hey, would you mind if I used it as a new avatar? It's a really nice piece. Not sure if it would fit or not without resizing, but it's a good piece. :guts:

(Sorry for the late reply, I forgot to earlier.) Yeh, you can use it as an avatar. Right now it's at 300x400 pixels. I dont know what the avatars on here are at but I'm guessing 200. If you have a problem re-sizing it just let me know and I can do it for you.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
No problem. Thanks a bunch for allowing me to. he's just a bit too tall to the point where I think it might bother other members if I use him (stretching the post out longer then it need be), so I guess I'll just stick with my old avatar.

But I do like it, keep up the good work! :guts:

Picture on the way...

I don't know what'll happen posting something outside of Berserk in here, but this is a picture that I'm working on. Almost done, color version'll be up very soon. :badbone:
alucard.jpg

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Great coloring and drawing work. I can see why the pic of Guts could be a bit out of proportions if you've been drawing Hellsing (honestly who has hands that come down below their knees). Anyway, my one suggestion would be to darken the blood. In reality, it's more of a deep crimson than a bring red.

Thanks man. If you see people who draw well, it's really just practise. I'm in school for it, so that helps...but it's really 1% talent 99% hard work. If it's something you're really interested in, practise as much as you can, I would say to go to life drawing classes (drawing nudes) and read up on it from books. If you put in a solid year of working at it you'll see a big jump in your skills. :badbone:

Vaxillus said:
Anyway, my one suggestion would be to darken the blood. In reality, it's more of a deep crimson than a bring red.

Yeh, that 'was' the plan. I was gonna do alot more to it. the floor woulda been detailed way more, there's actually bullet shells coming from his guns I was gonna make all metallic and stuff like that. not to mention the background. :guts: It was just a drawing I did in my sketchbook that I thought might look cool. What I want to do now is kind of like that idea I had on the first page of this thread...I'm thinking of drawing Guts in Frank Miller's style of stuff. (Specifically Sin City. I might throw Marv in there too. :SK:) That one I'll actually finish.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Borgoff said:
I'm thinking of drawing Guts in Frank Miller's style of stuff. (Specifically Sin City. I might throw Marv in there too. :SK:) That one I'll actually finish.

Well, Marv is the Guts of Sin City. Least that's what I've always thought. :beast:

Top Bottom