Dark Horse - Berserk Manga information

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
Re:Dark Horse Manga info please post here

TheSkyTraveller said:
I feel sorry for all you guys that are having so much trouble finding Berserk. You musn't have very good comic stores in your areas if no one is carrying it. The comic shop I frequent had like 10 copies when I picked mine up. Nevertheless, it really should not be this difficult to find. If a comic store in your area does not order Berserk for the store, they should easily be able to order it for you. Just ask them if you can look at the Previews catalog that Diamond Distributors puts out each month, and have them order Berserk through that catalog when it's listed.

I'm sure you could also easily special order Berserk through a chain store like Borders. As long as a book is not out of print and has an ISBN number, you can order anything. The ISBN for Vol. 1 is:ISBN 1-59307-020-9
You will find this book. It has a domestic release. It's not that hard. Expand your horizons and you will be successful. And be happy if they are doing a second print run. Maybe they'll correct the shit-ass printing job the first cover had.

Good luck!

Well, there is no Borders near me (or really any chain store) and their counterpart online is Amazon. Not to mention the fact that the local manga fans always descend on the one comic shop we have, so everything good is gone when I get there. ::) I think it's like everyone said, they've probably just run out of the initial printing, so there'll be more at some point. I'm not giving up yet! ;D

we'll i got it (good ol' lil tokyo never let's me down) and well not much to say that hasn't already been said. i'm sure all these problems will be worked out for vol.2 but still, "a taste of heaven after i send to to hell!" the hell's that supposed to mean. by the way i'm curious if Hague's read it yet i'd like to know how accurate it is.

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!

kimchan said:
Well, there is no Borders near me (or really any chain store) and their counterpart online is Amazon. Not to mention the fact that the local manga fans always descend on the one comic shop we have, so everything good is gone when I get there. ::) I think it's like everyone said, they've probably just run out of the initial printing, so there'll be more at some point. I'm not giving up yet! ;D

Yeah, I checked Amazon recently, and their listing for Berserk is nothing short of confusing. (If not retarded.) It shows a mock-up cover for vol. 2, with the title and ISBN of vol.1. Still not available for purchase from them, though. Guess they couldn't get the image for the vol. 1 cover, but you'd think they'd try a little harder.

Franz

It's a dolphin.

I don't like ordering from Amazon.com at all, I don't trust them very much.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!

Franz said:
I don't like ordering from Amazon.com at all, I don't trust them very much.​

That's crazy, Amazon is an International online store that has something like 5 variations. If you can't trust Amazon.com, who can you trust?

kimchan

Franz said:
I don't like ordering from Amazon.com at all, I don't trust them very much.

Well, this is the first time I've ever had a problem ordering stuff from them, in probably about one to two years worth of ordering things.

Franz

It's a dolphin.

I don't trust Amazon mainly because years ago I tried to order Xenogears: Perfect Works from them (which they claimed to have in stock). I quickly cancelled my order when I found that some people were waiting 6 months or more and still didn't get the item.

Basically other type of problems too, like mixing up order or incorrect price, especially with rarer items I suppose.

But that's just my experience. :) I can find better prices and larger selections elsewhere anyway.

Markaveli63

I don't love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I always get my Berserk manga from Archonia.com (also DHs' one now). They're cheap, REALLY fast (at least for Europeans, I get my stuff in 1 day :)), and have a lot of stuff. I've ordered quite a number of times, and they never let me down.

MarkedSwordsman

Am I cool or what?

Man, Berserk Volume 1 is sold out almost everywhere online. Good for Dark Horse, Miura, and us Americans. Thankfully, I have decent comic shops in my area and have found it.

number18

a sci-fi bitch

Yikes. I FINALLY got my copy just this Sunday in Cambridge.

I had been going around to the mall area in Nashua, NH to Borders, Barnes & Nobles, and Suncoast since October 16th. Around October 18th, Borders said they had 4 on order, but there was some kind of delay. They said they'd hold one for me and call me when it came in. I NEVER got a call. :/ The other two stores, as well as Waldenbooks have not had Berserk even come in stock for a first time, let alone run out of it yet. Barnes & Nobles weren't even bothering to order it in the first place.

I have a feeling Dark Horse has been shipping all their Berserk to independent comic shops before the big chain stores...partially from a discussion with my friend concerning how TokyoPop and Dark Horse operate (TokyoPop sells more to bookstores while Dark Horse is more to comic shops, etc).

Anyway, while in Cambridge, I went around a few places and not one place had it. On a whim, I went into Newbury Comics, and they actually had it!! I mean, Newbury Comics is really a CD store, for those who don't know...and have a crappy selection of graphic novels usually, so I was shocked to find it there.

Cover art is horrible. The image they used looks like absolute shit because it looks smudged and almost bootleg in quality. And the silly kana-inspired brushed metal font is terrible. I don't imagine Berserk being a rockin metal comic. The eerie, worn away, blood red font on the Japanese comic is much better, in my opinion.

I prefer the cover Amazon has as a picture over this crapola. :/ But still, it's Berserk! And besides, it's very possible Dark Horse will change the design for the 2nd volume. Wouldn't be the first graphic novel to do so. But really, the quality is shockingly terrible. I haven't gotten a chance to read much of the book, but from what I've been reading, it seems like they threw together some slop-job in a rush just to meet a deadline. :/

Oh well. Still, if it sold out everywhere, I'm very glad. And I hope everyone gets their hands on their own copy soon enough!

Franz

It's a dolphin.

www.darkhorse.com

Sometime late January I believe. Kinda dumb if you ask me...

kimchan

You might be right. The local book store that usually has a huge selection of manga didn't have it, but I stopped by a tiny comic shop nearby and finally got my hands on it! Needless to say, I cancelled my order from Amazon. ::)

I hope the quality improves. Along with the cut off pages and "Koda" castle, there were also quite a few spelling mistakes, just of the plain English rather than names or anything. But I'm so happy, I've never gotten to actually read Volume 1 until now (except text translations).

SlimJ87D

Apollo

There's sooo many of these berserk volume 1 at Frank and Sons, well if you guys live by me you can pick one up, i would, but i wrther buy the action figures of bereserk, thats where all my money went, 120$ ::) and im pretty happy with them too, blackswordsman kicks major ass, both editions.

Barnes & Nobles finally got their shipment of Berserk. So I got Berserk and I'm impress by Miura's drawign I didn't expect for the first volume to have this much detail since I've heard later on it gets much better in detail. Can't wait for the next voume. :)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

The Dragon Slayer said:
I take it you've never read the manga before, CRAZYBERSERKER? Oh well, I haven't read the entire thing yet, either. I'm kind of lost... ::)

Admitting that makes you more knowledgeable than 90% of the the people here.

-Griffith

The Dragon Slayer said:
I take it you've never read the manga before, CRAZYBERSERKER? Oh well, I haven't read the entire thing yet, either. I'm kind of lost... ::)

I know that Berserk started in 1989 but even so I've heard that Miura does good are work. I was kinda expecting good art work by Miura but not that damn good. I've seen other manga that started during the early 90's and their art work is sub par compare to Miura. Oh and yeah I've seen scans of Berserk earlier. But they weren't translated so I can't say I'm a Berserk otaku compare to other people here. :(

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost

The Dragon Slayer said:

Yes I've heard of that one...there are a couple of figures from that on explosiontoys.com, mixed in with the regular BERSERK items :)

LG

The Dragon Slayer said:
I wonder how Tokyopop would have handled Berserk. A while back, weren't there rumors that VIZ had licensed it. :-\

Viz probably would have done ok with it. I'm kinda glad it wasn't Tokyopop, Berserk doesn't really fit with the rest of their stuff as far as I've seen.

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!

Berserk #2 should be out on January 14th, according to the Dark Horse website. Everyone get your copies quick before they're all gone!! I wonder if there will be the same "shortage" (if that's what it was) as last time?...

BlackSwordsman

I MUST BREAK YOU!

You should check out the cover for volume 3 that Dark Horse has up, I think it has a different background color, but I think it looks pretty cool.

Top Bottom