Dark Horse - Berserk Manga information

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Re:Berserk vol. 3 available for order in Previews

I just went to my comic store today and got the latest Previews. Dark Horse's Berserk Vol. 3 is available for order in the Jan. issue, and will ship in April. If anyone is interested in ordering it, just check out your local comic store and they should be able to order it for you. The Previews orders are due Jan. 10, which is the deadline for comic shops to send their order in, so GET soon!

And support your local comic shop. 8)

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
Re:Dark Horse Manga info please post here

Well, got my copy of Volume 2 and I must say, I think the quality got better. I didn't notice any typos , though I usually do read past them because my mind auto-corrects minor errors.

I thought the translation was well done, though I'm not exactly knowledgeable in Japanese translations, so take that with a grain of salt.

The artwork looked good.

My only complaint is that I'm now left pining for volume 3. I swear, Berserk is crack in manga form.

Chrome Coffin

Muppet of Death

Anyone know where in hell I can find the First volume of Dark Horse's Berserk?

Having no luck in my searches so far, not even ebay has em, unless im smoking some good fairy dust and missing the obvious.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...

Chrome Coffin said:

Having no luck in my searches so far, not even ebay has em, unless im smoking some good fairy dust and missing the obvious.
perhaps you should try to get it directly from the source... ::)
http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=12-705

Chrome Coffin

Muppet of Death

perhaps you should try to get it directly from the source...
http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=12-705

yes, that is where I went first of course...this is what dark horse website says about Berserk Volume 1:

Berserk Volume 1 TPB is not currently available from TFAW. To purchase this item, try contacting one of the registered retail stores, or an online auction service such as eBay.

None of the registered retail stores or ebay has it either.

lbrown726

God-Emperor of the llamas!

Chrome Coffin said:
When I picked up vollume 2 yesterday, the comic shop had a lot of volume 1 around, too. Looked like a new batch, shrink-wrapped this time. Maybe a second printing? You might have luck at a similar place. If not the place you usually buy, maybe a competitor. (sorry if you've tried this - you didn't say if you've already checked brick and mortar retailers)

Chrome Coffin

Muppet of Death

Thanks for the info. I checked out my local comic shop today and they were out of Berserk Volume #1, but have one on order for me.

I didn't think about Barnes and Noble though, that is a good option. I'll have to check out my local B&N tomorrow..

lbrown726

God-Emperor of the llamas!

Chrome Coffin said:
I didn't think about Barnes and Noble though, that is a good option. I'll have to check out my local B&N tomorrow..
Somebody mentioned this earlier - it looks like Dark Horse supplies the indy comic chains first. The B&N by me still doesn't have vol 2. This shouldn't be an issue for older volumes, though. Just an fyi/heads up.

Chrome Coffin

Muppet of Death

I now own both Volume 1 & 2 of the manga...fucking riteous I tell you! Very savage, even better than the anime which I love (and which you all have been saying all this time)

Going Berserk!

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost

LOL I finally got my copies of the Dark Horse vol 1 and 2 Berserk...a little late in the game here but oh well.

:D

Man....I know how some of you feel. I kept on getting seriously mad at the book stores for not carrying Berserk. They would honestly carry every single Dark Horse GC made, but no Berserk. Finally I managed to pick up both copies in some remote, isolated book store in Texas. X. x Excellent series though, wish it would have caught on a little sooner though.

Malf

You cannot escape YOUR FATE!

usualy the manga is better in japanese. I advise all to buy the japanese version of berserk because usualy americans cut out everything. They ruin the true beauty of it. reading Japanese will take someone a few years but translations arent that hard to find.

nir085

Horse and Armor

True, but just about every otaku of this series knows that. They're just depending on Dark Horse because it is easier and more enjoyable to read bubbles with english rather than constantly have to look at the online translations for each little bubble or action. Besides, both fan translations and Dark Horse translations are shoddy, so it doesn't make much of a difference to me. The price, however, is one reason why I chose to buy the japanese manga over the Dark Horse ones. (I feel like a hypocrite now)

Malf said:
I advise all to buy the japanese version of berserk because usualy americans cut out everything. They ruin the true beauty of it.
this tells me you have no idea what youre talking about.

Aconyro

REVENGE!

Remember japanese doesn't translate completely to english and vice versus. Even if an english speaker learned japanese they would not get the full effect. Also, people tend to think in their native language. So, any translations don't have to be on target but I'd say a 90%- 95% accurate (content and context) translation would be good. It would take a native speaker of both languages to analyze this and they would also have to think in both.

Malf

Hey ranemaker i think i know what im talking about. i have read manga thats in english and the same one in japanese and the english ones are usualy cut. I mean americans make such a frigen big deal about stuiped things like janet jakson at the super bowl. Americans are all uptite about this so usualy they cut it down, just look at toonami thats the most foul piece of crapola ever. They cut out out everything. So dont tell me i dont know what im talking about.
I agree with Acon on you really cant get the full effect of japanese unless you actualy lived in japan or knew some japanese speakers that you talk to.

I've read somewhere that the japaneese version is cut while the korean version is the one not cut, actually. But maybe it's the opposite. Anyone confirm this?

Malf said:
Hey ranemaker i think i know what im talking about. ....So dont tell me i dont know what im talking about.
have you even read DH's Berserk yet? I mean, if you have, id LOVE for you to tell me what's been cut out. Oo! Or even the anime, im pretty sure MB's butchered the fuck out of that, didnt they?
Youre right, it is quite often that American companies edit, or censor, manga and anime.
In this case [Berserk], they have not.

nir085

Horse and Armor

Malf said:
Hey ranemaker i think i know what im talking about. i have read manga thats in english and the same one in japanese and the english ones are usualy cut. I mean americans make such a frigen big deal about stuiped things like janet jakson at the super bowl. Americans are all uptite about this so usualy they cut it down, just look at toonami thats the most foul piece of crapola ever. They cut out out everything. So dont tell me i dont know what im talking about.
I agree with Acon on you really cant get the full effect of japanese unless you actualy lived in japan or knew some japanese speakers that you talk to.
rofl, do you know who you are talking to?
THE ranemaka13! The guy who worked with the owner of the amazing arcticnightfall.com to create a kickass Berserk translation database.
So don't argue with him, just bow before him.

Malf

i have not read the english version of berserk but u have to agree with me on that americans do cut out alot. Have they cut out or changed anything, does anyone know?

Malf said:
i have not read the english version of berserk but u have to agree with me on that americans do cut out alot. Have they cut out or changed anything, does anyone know?

No they havent well besides the occasional mispelling. :-\

Malf said:
i already have agreed with you.
but if you havent read the domestic release yet, then why are you passing judgement on it?

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?

Malf said:
usualy the manga is better in japanese. I advise all to buy the japanese version of berserk because usualy americans cut out everything. They ruin the true beauty of it. reading Japanese will take someone a few years but translations arent that hard to find.

Yes, anime does usually get edited...when it's on TV or some other mass consumption type thing. A lot also depends on the company.

Manga usually makes it over intact, even in the US. Dark Horse doesn't usually cut their comics (if you want a good example, get your hands on an issue of Blade of the Immortal sometime.) Did a subpar job with some of the dialogue? Maybe. But they haven't cut any content.

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost

ranemaka13 said:
i already have agreed with you.
but if you havent read the domestic release yet, then why are you passing judgement on it?

After reading the two volumes in English, the translations are a little bit different, of course, but nothing to totally throw anything off. I didn't notice anything 'taken out' of the storyline or the artwork itself though.

Top Bottom