Episode 372

Mamma mia here we go again. I wonder why it has taken so long between these episodes. One would hope they are going through feedback or planning things a bit better than they have so far. It is likely because Mori is busy with his own projects and things unrelated to berserk though.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Bulletpoints:

• Casca wakes up in Falconia
  • She spends a peaceful afternoon being pampered
  • In a memory, she violently lashed out at those around her, wants to return
  • Begins to call out Guts' name then falls asleep
  • Griffith tells his lieutenants: East

My take:
Hard to believe that was 21 pages, but it was. Casca being pampered and taking everything at face value initially was pretty confusing to me. Like, why would she not immediately wonder what the hell is happening, where her friends are, etc.? Instead they zoom past any potential conflict to set a serene sequence of events. Then she freaks out, lops off a guy's arm, then wants to return ("we've gotta go back!"). I have to imagine that her scenario of being surrounded by maids will end, and she'll be isolated after this. As for the "east" thing, keep in mind that Elfhelm was in the Western Sea, so it's not that. So, what's left? I can only really guess it's one thing—the mysterious next stage of Griffith's campaign, now that things on the full moon front have seemingly been neutralized.

It wasn't addressed this episode, but here's something I brought up in the chat—can Casca see and speak with Griffith in a way that she can't with Guts? Will an idealized depiction of Griffith prior to his torture trigger the same painful memories as seeing/hearing Guts? Or is this scenario like threading the "trigger" needle perfectly? I don't think her mind would so cleanly separate Femto from an idealized Griffith, but maybe...? Either way, the episode doesn't bring up that potential conflict.

^-- No, you forgot about the affect of the brand when Casca's near him, ya dope!

Nothing really changed here from where we left things in the last episode. I maintain that Sonia speaking with Casca is the most fruitful possibility about this whole scenario.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hard to believe that was 21 pages, but it was. Casca being pampered and taking everything at face value initially was pretty confusing to me. Like, why would she not immediately wonder what the hell is happening, where her friends are, etc.? Instead they zoom past any potential conflict to set a serene sequence of events. Then she freaks out, lops off a guy's arm, then wants to return ("we've gotta go back!"). I have to imagine that her scenario of being surrounded by maids will end, and she'll be isolated after this.

If she's going to end up in a dungeon, she should have been in one to begin with IMHO. I think it's more likely they just increase the dosage of whatever thing they're using to keep her docile and thoughtless (well, let me rephrase: I think that'd be more logical, but no guarantees as to what they do).

Anyway, I don't mind this scenario, which fits my previously mentioned expectations: Casca is being held prisoner so Femto can keep the boy in check. I'm just curious about what means they're using to keep her in that state. I also still expect that it will eventually lead to trouble, with her escaping and maybe running into Sonia and/or Charlotte. It's also all but certain that she will encounter Luka and the girls down the line.

That being said, at this point I wonder if they'll bother having her escape Falconia, or if the others will just come in to rescue her. Really depends on how long Mori plans on going.

As for the "east" thing, keep in mind that Elfhelm was in the Western Sea, so it's not that. So, what's left? I can only really guess it's one thing—the mysterious next stage of Griffith's campaign, now that things on the full moon front have seemingly been neutralized.

I'm assuming it's just the next stage of his conquest. Doesn't seem particularly meaningful, despite the way it's depicted.

It wasn't addressed this episode, but here's something I brought up in the chat—can Casca see and speak with Griffith in a way that she can't with Guts?

I see no reason that she should, and she did in fact have a trauma attack when she saw him in episode 365. In any case, my guess is he'll only come see her when the boy stirs, so that he can stay with her in the castle instead of wandering around.

Soooo I kinda sorta liked this episode. Even tho I hate Casca's new face I think the art was good for Berserk standards.

I know there is some confusion about what's going on with Casca and her reactions but I think I understand it:

For me it's pretty clear that she is under a spell that supresses her memories and her being pampered all day is just one out of possible many days she already spend in Falconia. The day starts with her waking up and ends with her getting her memories back and trying to flee, then she gets captured and the whole thing starts all over again. It's a pretty nasty fate and now I guess she needs to find a way to get her memories back without freaking out and she needs to learn to pretend that she is still under the memory loss spell or whatever causes her to forget Guts & her friends.

If that's indeed what Mori and Co are planning then I'm interested.

Casca being pampered and taking everything at face value initially was pretty confusing to me. Like, why would she not immediately wonder what the hell is happening, where her friends are, etc.?

I think she is stuck in a loop. Every day starts the same and ends the same - Her waking up, her getting her memories back and trying to run away.

Last edited:
what I choose to focus on is the improvement in the art and the fact there were no technical mistakes this episode like there was in 371

To be honest, I was hoping that we would get to see rickert this episode, or a scene where Sonia reads casca’s mind

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

I think she is stuck in a loop. Every day starts the same and ends the same - Her waking up, her getting her memories back and trying to run away.

I'm not picking up on anything like that in this episode. The sequence of the day is pretty straightforward until we get to the bath scene. Then it appears that she remembers having a violent outburst. Maybe there's a line where they imply that "it's happening again" but I can't say so from what I see. I do agree with @Aazealh that it seems she's being drugged. There's a whole page devoted to the food and drink she's consuming. Maybe a special tea or something that keeps her memories clouded, then it comes rushing back to her when it fades.

what I choose to focus on is the improvement in the art and the fact there were no technical mistakes this episode like there was in 371

I mean... if you really want, we could focus on the problems. Like the action lines being confusing when she both kicks and grabs the sword. Or the weird alien-like silhouette of the women as they arrive at the scene with the soldiers. Such things aren't what concerns me about the continuation, though. It's everything else, really.

To be honest, I was hoping that we would get to see rickert this episode, or a scene where Sonia reads casca’s mind
Rickert left Falconia back in 341. And Sonia'll have her turn.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I do agree with @Aazealh that it seems she's being drugged. There's a whole page devoted to the food and drink she's consuming. Maybe a special tea or something that keeps her memories clouded, then it comes rushing back to her when it fades.

Yeah, it's not drawn super clearly but the tea does have a little "steam" coming off of it that seems intended to signify something special about it, and after drinking it she looks like she's in an altered state. It could just be that. In truth the means by which they do it don't matter as much as the result.

Regarding the sequence of events, I think the issue is with the rough way they inserted the escape scene into the rest. There's no real transition, so it doesn't flow well at all and the reader is left wondering when it took place or at least why it was depicted like that.

I mean... if you really want, we could focus on the problems. Like the action lines being confusing when she both kicks and grabs the sword. Or the weird alien-like silhouette of the women as they arrive at the scene with the soldiers. Such things aren't what concerns me about the continuation, though. It's everything else, really.

Or the fact they're having Casca wear high heels, or her Brand being too small, or her and the maids having their eyes closed all the time like Serpico...
:iva:

Casca looked very off a lot of times in this episode and especially on the color page

Yeah they really missed the likeness on that one.

didn’t she originally have brown eyes

It's an iconic line from the manga: Guts thinking "dark eyes" as she lays on him to keep him warm while he's wounded. That being said, her eyes aren't the problem here.

This is so sad. My favorite manga turned into...whatever this is.
Character's off model. I feel like everything is so hard to understand, Miura's visual clarity is completely gone. Everyone acts out of character. I'm very bummed. I used to be chomping at the bit when a new episode released. And now I barely notice until someone reminds me.

As for what happens next, I think it's been pretty clearly foreshadowed that we have to see what Rickert and the others are up to in the east. Maybe a time skip happened already and he's way older.

I quite liked it! It was a little bit muddled for me on the action with Casca cutting off the guard's arm but the entire episode had me hooked from start to finish, definitely the best out of the new batch for me and the art style seems to be improving. Intrigued on how if there is a time skip, how long has it passed and what could Rickert & Co. could have been up to since.

Parkus

Keep pushing no matter what
Alright I just finished reading the episode so I'll share my thoughts

Casca in the color page doesn't look like Casca to me so that's something that's sticking out to me, the art for this episode isn't too bad from my perspective and it was pretty enjoyable, I also liked that there was a bit more dialogue than usual.

Onto the main stuff

At first I felt confused why Casca was acting the way she was at first until we got to the part where she ate her meal, like a bunch of you have already said, she's possibly drugged or under a spell but I feel like she's drugged because of the tea it looks like.

I have a feeling she'll definitely meet up with Luca and her group in her stay at Falconia because she'll probably be able to dodge around from taking the drug somehow. My other question is if she has gotten to meet Griffith yet in her time of stay, in her dream she looks like she was conscious but then again that's just a dream and she could have passed right back out when they landed.

The part where she fought the guard seemed strange to me a little bit but I feel like the team can improve on parts like those. Sonia will definitely have a string to pull somewhere around here and I can't wait to see that.

Overall I think this episode wasn't too bad for the most part, it was pretty enjoyable than all the other episodes from before, I can't wait to see what the team has in store for us next.

Miura's visual clarity is completely gone. Everyone acts out of character. I'm very bummed. I used to be chomping at the bit when a new episode released. And now I barely notice until someone reminds me.
Well obviously nothing is gonna be the way it used to be, what we are seeing now isn't Miura, just remnants of what we would have seen from him, I'm grateful there's even an ending to see at all, yes a written format of what we would have seen is more preferable to a lot of people but I'd still rather be glad were able to see things we were supposed to see from him before.

I'm calling it now, I guarantee Charlotte will be the one to help out Casca, Charlotte was in a similar situation with Ganishka, and once she catches wind of this I don't think she's going to idly stand by, she'll help Casca in some way, not to mention Luca is about so there are many possibilities, but Charlotte being the closest I think she'll be the first to interact with her, then as Casca is in streets of Falconia she'll meet up with Luca and the girls.

Honestly I didn't mind this episode, and it felt to me most like a Miura episode out of all of them , there weren't any glaring problems to me, but as people mentioned I'm not a fan of the abrupt cut after she fights the gaurds I'd also hoped she'd put up more of a fight . I have a big feeling that Falconia dress was designed by Miura, just a hunch but I'm pretty sure.

Also I doubt anyone knows about Luca's connection to Casca, Luca might catch a glimpse of Casca and infiltrate the place as a maid somehow.

Last edited:
Charlotte being the closest I think she'll be the first to interact with her,
I don't think Casca is up in the Castle where Charlotte is, it seems more likely she's down near the street. So she would be closer to Luca right now.

but as people mentioned I'm not a fan of the abrupt cut after she fights the gaurds I'd also hoped she'd put up more of a fight .
I personally didn't find the abrupt cut to be the worst thing about the fight, it just looked confusing.

I have a big feeling that Falconia dress was designed by Miura, just a hunch but I'm pretty sure.
I have no idea why you'd think that.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I have a big feeling that Falconia dress was designed by Miura, just a hunch but I'm pretty sure.

I doubt that. Seems much too simplistic a design to have been done by Miura (especially considering the importance given to it), not to mention certain choices like making her wear high heels.

Can someone share the name of the new arc please?

I don't see any information about the arc or chapter title.

Is the bird Irvine is referring to Casca?

I doubt that. Seems much too simplistic a design to have been done by Miura (especially considering the importance given to it), not to mention certain choices like making her wear high heels.
I mean, if she is supposed to be drugged and be a lady in Falconia, why are high heels a no go?
It's not something she chose to wear obviously.
I'm not saying Miura designed it, but why are high heels in this particular context a signifier of the opposite?
Anyway, those are just my thoughts about it.
Or the fact they're having Casca wear high heels, or her Brand being too small, or her and the maids having their eyes closed all the time like Serpico...
:iva:
Aren't the closed eyes a japanese maid politeness thing? I might sound stupid right now but that's my impression.

Other than that I wonder does Griffith have any motivation for keeping her alive?
Or is it just plot armor at this point?

All in all I enjoyed this episode a bit more than the previous continuation episodes but maybe it's because I'm taking it for what it is and I have no expectations anymore.

About the art itself, this is the most consistent one so far.
Still though, I feel that the rooms are very simplistic in design.
Miura used much more distinct patterns, some beautiful decorations and other details in the background.
But overall it was good enough.

Then about who can help Casca.
I think that both Sonia and Charlotte will help her.
Perhaps Sonia can read Casca's thoughts and see what Griffith has done to her, at least to some extent.
I'm not sure she will tell something to Charlotte though, since she felts jealously towards her. But we have to wait and see.

Finally, I want to ask something:
Is Casca suffering some kind of brainwashing?
I don't know but this episode was really weird at some parts, it felt like some of her memories aren't truly real.

The fight is confusing when Casca throw a vase and takes out 5 guys with it and somehow cuts the dudes arm off with a weird movement and now she somehow got outside on the street. Irvine, Locus, and Grunbeld looks off and Zodd the worse one, meaning the likeness doesn't feel like Zodd. I thought the panel with Schierke and Farnese was pretty good. Griffith can't go west cause the sea comes right up to Falconia.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Is the bird Irvine is referring to Casca?

Yes. It's not very good writing, but that's par for the course now. :shrug:

I mean, if she is supposed to be drugged and be a lady in Falconia, why are high heels a no go?

If you want to keep someone pacified, presumably you don't make them wear shoes that are difficult to walk in and that they're not used to. Simple logic. She's already uncomfortable wearing dresses, but that takes it way further. That aside, it's not a shoe design Miura's ever used before and I don't believe he would have changed that here.

Aren't the closed eyes a japanese maid politeness thing? I might sound stupid right now but that's my impression.

It's something the assistants do. They were already doing it in previous episodes as well, with other characters. You're not going to find a good excuse for it.

Other than that I wonder does Griffith have any motivation for keeping her alive?

Presumably the boy wouldn't let him do it. So to placate him, they're keeping her prisoner. It was the only thing that made sense for the abduction in the first place.

Is Casca suffering some kind of brainwashing?
I don't know but this episode was really weird at some parts, it felt like some of her memories aren't truly real.

She's being drugged or subdued somehow, but I don't think they're imprinting false memories on her. I get why you'd think that, though. Like I mentioned earlier, I think that's just a result of the episode being poorly constructed. Because the sequence showing her escape attempt is inserted in the middle of her "tranquil day" without any real transition, it's not clear when it takes place or even how it was triggered.

Top Bottom