Episode 376

Btw, what is the white object supposed to be that's seen numerous times in panels focusing on Rickert? At first I thought Daiba's beard but it doesn't seem that way.
That's the way they portray characters that are close and out of focus, like we're seeing things through a camera. I honestly hate it. Miura always though of panels as "windows to another world", but what Studio Gaga does is mostly distracting and out of place, it's there just to fasten up the process. This is a manga, not a movie. It also clashes with how detailed everything else is.

That's the way they portray characters that are close and out of focus, like we're seeing things through a camera. I honestly hate it. Miura always though of panels as "windows to another world", but what Studio Gaga does is mostly distracting and out of place, it's there just to fasten up the process. This is a manga, not a movie. It also clashes with how detailed everything else is.
You could be right. I personally don't mind when visual mediums "copy" from each other it's just that making the out-of-focus-characters WHITE puts your focus immediately towards that. Miura's genius aside, I think every beginning mangaka (or artist) should know the basics when it comes to values and it couldn't be more obvious in a black-and-white image IMO. And yes, style totally clashes with how the rest is drawn. Those scribble lines feel more like motion lines, as if something mysterious would swoosh by Rickert, too fast for him to make out what it is exactly. Way to go, Studio Gaga!

You could be right. I personally don't mind when visual mediums "copy" from each other it's just that making the out-of-focus-characters WHITE puts your focus immediately towards that. Miura's genius aside, I think every beginning mangaka (or artist) should know the basics when it comes to values and it couldn't be more obvious in a black-and-white image IMO. And yes, style totally clashes with how the rest is drawn. Those scribble lines feel more like motion lines, as if something mysterious would swoosh by Rickert, too fast for him to make out what it is exactly. Way to go, Studio Gaga!
What I don't understand is that they use the same effect for the bars of Guts' cell, but they still used cross hatching to add texture. Those bars look incredibly wonky.

guuuuuuuuts

Excited for the next chapter!
The art is looking better compared to when they started in most panels but what they are portraying is either nonsense or boring.
Why was Guts hit with another Wave of the Astral World at the beginning of the episode? This is so weird
The way Silat removes his mask, to me at least, gives the impression of when Griffith takes off his helmet ("I'm so pretty" :griffnotevil:) but it just doesn't make sense. Silat is not known for his beauty.
Btw, what is the white object supposed to be that's seen numerous times in panels focusing on Rickert? At first I thought Daiba's beard but it doesn't seem that way.
Speaking of Rickert - I think he got infected by Guts. Numerous panels of a shocked expression, at the best with a "..." speech bubble even. I'm sure Schierke, the only remaining magic user together with Daiba, will find a cure for him.:schierke:
The room was chock full.of magic users from the island, all standing around Schierke and Daiba. Aren't they all still magic capable?

I just saw that
Hanar is still there.

Lol, maybe I was right then in the Episode 371 thread, and he did survive because he was a "heavier kind of guy"...

Well, if one should not draw too many conclusions based only on what Studio Gaga depicted, and we don't know exactly where Merrows fall on the elemental weight scale, then perhaps elves such as dwarves who live closer to places that resembles Qliphoth (as I think Schierke pointed out when they went to visit the dwarves) have more mixture of dark or heavy elementals (such as Barytes) and that might factor into whether or not a dwarf could or would remain in the world outside Elfhelm.

Perhaps that's also how the disappearance might be explained or hinted at in a future episode, in a possible comment by Hanarr himself: "I didn't vanish with the other inhabitants since I'm a heavier sort of guy."

He still needs to say it though. =)
But of course that doesn't explain why Puck and Ivalera didn't disappear so unfortunately it does seem like they only retained the particular characters that Miura probably left some memo about in future episodes and took the opportunity to vanish the rest. It does make some sense since we were expecting Hanarr to do more in the story than just show Guts a flashback. Probably he will do something with the armor now that it is off Guts and that's why they showed him all of a sudden. Would be cool if he would extract all the memories from the armor somehow and show them to the party through some magical means with the help of Daiba (who seems to know something about the armor) so we finally get that Gaiseric flashback we've been waiting for.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Why was Guts hit with another Wave of the Astral World at the beginning of the episode? This is so weird

The representation is confusing but there's obviously been no new "Great Wave of the Astral World". It's just supposed to be his ethereal body. Why or how it's happening is another matter. Schierke is reaching out and I'm guessing will either take him to see Casca in his body of light, or will just show her to him somehow, and that's how he'll be instantly cured and back on his feet.

The way Silat removes his mask, to me at least, gives the impression of when Griffith takes off his helmet ("I'm so pretty" :griffnotevil:) but it just doesn't make sense. Silat is not known for his beauty.

I'd say it's something natural to do when having a conversation with someone. And Silat is pretty easy on the eyes, actually. :farnese:

The room was chock full.of magic users from the island, all standing around Schierke and Daiba. Aren't they all still magic capable?

No, it was explained in previous episodes that they've lost their power. Only Schierke was spared "because she wasn't from the island". It didn't make sense then and still doesn't now, but that's how it is.

it does seem like they only retained the particular characters that Miura probably left some memo about

That "probably" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here. :sweatdrop:

Would be cool if he would extract all the memories from the armor somehow and show them to the party through some magical means with the help of Daiba (who seems to know something about the armor) so we finally get that Gaiseric flashback we've been waiting for.

That seems highly unlikely to me, but then again it's not like they've adhered to what Miura had established so far... Regarding Daiba, he knows about the armor because he got his ass handed to him in Vritannis. That's about it, they just have him repeat the same stuff he said back then.

Lol, maybe I was right then in the Episode 371 thread, and he did survive because he was a "heavier kind of guy"...
Even if that's true, which I don't think it is, then why haven't any other dwarves survived? Did they all drown in the caves or something and they just didn't show us?
I simply think he was spared only because the plot needs him.

Regarding Daiba, he knows about the armor because he got his ass handed to him in Vritannis. That's about it, they just have him repeat the same stuff he said back then.

Hang on a minute, Daiba did react to Guts wearing the Berserk's armor before he challenged Guts and his party... From Episode 270 and the beginning of 271:

Daiba: ...Hmpf, just a swordsman, you seem not?
Daiba: What!! You don the prana (od) of Durga!? This is surprising!

Daiba: Well, come now. Kushatoria of Durga

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hang on a minute, Daiba did react to Guts wearing the Berserk's armor before he challenged Guts and his party... From Episode 270:

Daiba: ...Hmpf, just a swordsman, you seem not?
Daiba: What!! You don the prana (od) of Durga!? This is surprising!

That's what I'm talking about: he encountered Guts wearing the armor when they faced each other in Vritannis. What exactly is your objection here?

At the same time I must admit that this forum's negativity is exhausting. You are all too quick to condemn. For example, if Miura was alive you would be writing pages wondering what is the meaning behind seeing puck look so indifferent. Now you just judge the creators to be fools on a whim. Not saying that you will turn out to be incorrect, but at least give it some time first. Immediate and absolute negativity is tiresome.
I also hate the negativity, but I feel like most of it is justified. And let's be honest, there's no meaning behind Puck's behavior, they just have no idea what to do with him. They're doing the bare minimum to move the plot forward and asking us to ignore the things that don't add up. I would love it if there was a good explanation for all this, but between their lack of experience writing and the uncertainty that they've expressed about the story and the prospect of completing Miura's life work, there's plenty of reason to be skeptical about their ability to pull this off in a satisfying way.

On a more positive note, the art and paneling is continuing to improve.

That's what I'm talking about: he encountered Guts wearing the armor when they faced each other in Vritannis. What exactly is your objection here?

Well my point was that Daiba seemed to know something about its nature before encountering Guts in Vritannis, thus he was able to identify the armor or od as the "Durga" (whatever that means) after taking a closer look at Guts.

Honestly this seems to be going in a completely different direction from what Miura intended. It feels like they aren't even going for Miura's major plot points anymore. The earlier episodes did feel like a very messy and disjointed attempt at connecting Miura's major plot points, but ever since Rickert and Silat showed up that's gone straight out the window. They're not supposed to be in the Kushan mainland at all; that alone already throws the course of events way off track. Where are all the astral creatures? Whoever is writing these episodes (I forgot, it was Mori right?) should have thrown in a small panel of Silat basically saying "oh yeah, the Kushan mainland actually has better security than I thought so the monsters aren't a problem here either. Forget that I ever mentioned my hideout." :ganishka:

Imagine if they were in the Bakiraka hideout like Miura intended. Would they really be gearing up for war with a whole army? Nah, I imagine they'd instead begin planning some sort of smaller-scale infiltration of Falconia in order to rescue Casca, and that would have somehow given way to a more significant confrontation between our crew and Griffith and his forces. I can kinda see where this is going though. Guts has been recognized as a powerful soldier and will be utilized in the war against Falconia. Maybe we'll get some "cool" fight scenes with him going berserk in the armor.

Can't really say I'm excited lol. I've long since accepted the reality of this project, and I'm just keeping up out of habit. To be honest I don't feel compelled to read these episodes at all. I have all of the real Berserk sitting right here on my bookshelf anyways. Reading them is bittersweet, but it's the best we'll be getting.

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura

I will first take a look at what our conservative fans in China have to say, and then I will select a few of them and post them here.

The pacing and paneling IS getting better on this episode, but it's simply a fanfic story-wise.
I'm sad that the cast is so out of character (if any character is portrayed at all). Its getting more and more clear that they have no idea what to do with all the new mages from elf island - shame on the great gurus and Volvaba, such a wasted potential.

Overall, I'm not sure that this arc was even in Miura sensei's plan or notes he left behind. There is no truth anymore.

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
I really wonder why you guys aren't flabbergasted to the bone about Puck not remembering Rickert? This, to me, doesn't necessarily feel like the biggest plot hole (as it's not that important) but it is the most obvious and easily avoidable? Imagine you're the most casual, first time reader - even then you'd instantly be like: "Wait, Puck doesn't remember Rickert?"

I'm shocked, really. I get that the experts felt like that from the very first or second episode, but I really do wonder if they have read Berserk even once as a whole? Am I the only one who feels like that? Am I missing something here?

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well my point was that Daiba seemed to know something about its nature before encountering Guts in Vritannis, thus he was able to identify the armor or od as the "Durga" (whatever that means) after taking a closer look at Guts.

Daiba recognizes the Od (basically the "aura") surrounding Guts, which is that of a frenzied man, but is very surprised by it and doesn't know how it's achieved. So while it's not nothing – it's interesting he can see Od and recognize that specific one – he doesn't know about the armor itself.

Oh and since you're wondering, Durga is a god (inspired by the real Indian god of the same name) that is associated with battle frenzy in Berserk's world, based on the kanji used for the word. Daiba calls Guts a "warrior of Durga". He says something similar of Serpico, but associates him with another god, Vayu. It's really just his way of labeling the powers they use.

Honestly this seems to be going in a completely different direction from what Miura intended. [...] Imagine if they were in the Bakiraka hideout like Miura intended. Would they really be gearing up for war with a whole army?
Overall, I'm not sure that this arc was even in Miura sensei's plan or notes he left behind. There is no truth anymore.

Well here's a thing for you guys to think about. Silat and Daiba were both part of Ganishka's massive force that was preemptively sent to stop Griffith from achieving his goals. An army of hundreds of thousands of soldiers, monstrous troops created through magic, and the Bakiraka's help, compelled by the promise of being admitted back into the empire. Ganishka moved before Femto was even incarnated, and yet he still failed spectacularly, or rather it was revealed that he had never been anything more than a pawn.

Silat and Daiba saw first hand, multiple times, how futile that effort was. This begs the question, even beyond the fact this whole situation (surviving empire spared by Fantasia, Silat somehow its leader) makes no sense, of why in hell they would think they can succeed where Ganishka failed. And the answer is that both characters should know that they simply cannot win.

There is no doubt possible that this whole scenario is made up and not something Miura intended. It only works if you reduce it to its most basic intention: "Guts' group meets up with the Bakiraka-Daiba-Rickert alliance and they resolve to make a move against Falconia". Which we've known for years was going to happen eventually. But it would have taken a very, very different form.

I will first take a look at what our conservative fans in China have to say, and then I will select a few of them and post them here.

That's not necessary. Why don't you post your own opinion instead?

I really wonder why you guys aren't flabbergasted to the bone about Puck not remembering Rickert? This, to me, doesn't necessarily feel like the biggest plot point (as it's not that important) but it is the most obvious and easily avoidable? Imagine you're the most casual, first time reader - even then you'd instantly be like: "Wait, Puck doesn't remember Rickert?"

I'm shocked, really. I get that the experts felt like that from the very first or second episode, but I really do wonder if they have read Berserk even once as a whole? Am I the only one who feels like that? Am I missing something here?

You're not alone, others have commented on it in the thread. It is preposterous indeed, but frankly their portrayal of Puck has been insane for a while now. Your feelings are warranted but I don't really know what to say honestly... Except that it doesn't make sense. But neither do many other things. It's kind of an overload each time.

Goat

Foolish king
I have two things to say about this episode.

1) I think the Puck thingie was meant to be a parody/fun/chestnut moment, and it is terribly (terribly) executed. That's all about it, imho.

2) They must know that an human-ish army, no matter how big, stands no chances against Falconia. They must know it, and that's a nonsense decision no matter how much I look at it. It's just the fast forward button to get to the final battle, but it feels waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too premature, nobody is ready for such a front-to-front battle. Horrible.

I think the Puck thingie was meant to be a parody/fun/chestnut moment, and it is terribly (terribly) executed.
Forgetful Puck has been used before for comedic effect, but here it comes off as derivative and incoherent with what came before (which sums up the continuation quite well) - when Guts visited Godo in Birth Ceremony chapter, it had been 2 years since Puck's travelling troupe days, and he still recognized Rickert from then, and even recalled his fear of elves! A lot has happened between now and Hill of Swords, sure, but it hasn't been that long for him to completely forget Rickert... It's just a poor excuse for his strange lack of reaction in 375.
It's just the fast forward button to get to the final battle, but it feels waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too premature, nobody is ready for such a front-to-front battle.
Maybe this is dramatic and selfish of me, but this continuation has hampered my grieving process for Miura's untimely passing, like a door I keep trying to close, but every few months someone breaks it open. They can't deliver anyway, so might as well get it over with, eh?

Tbh at this point I think they remembered after 375 that Puck and Rickert used to know each other and wrote this into 376 as a "save" for the confusion. But it doesn't really matter anyway, it's not like anyone expects well-written dialogue or character interactions from the project (at the very least not anymore).
(Well, I'm still hoping Miura wrote down the final dialogue between Guts and Griffith somewhere)

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
Tbh at this point I think they remembered after 375 that Puck and Rickert used to know each other and wrote this into 376 as a "save" for the confusion

No, this would again imply that they haven't read Berserk a single time - I still won't believe that. It is so obvious they knew each other and were even friends (more than that: friends who share common traumatic experiences and horrors to some extend).

I think @Goat is right; it was meant to be funny, similar to the joke when Puck didn't know that "his king on Elfhelm was so amazing". It's just terribly executed.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
It's a way to avoid showing any meaningful interaction between Puck and Rickert. You guys aren't going to find a way to rationalize it that makes sense. Even as a joke it doesn't work, and it's not even depicted in a comical manner anyway.

As for Puck being forgetful, there's only one instance of it: when he forgot about Magnifico's scheme to take control of Elfhelm. For the scene in the cabin, Puck didn't forget about Danan, he simply didn't mention she could cure Casca, so Isidro and Ivalera concluded he didn't know. But that's just their guess, it's kept ambiguous on purpose.

In truth, this is similar to what the team has done with Azan, where they misinterpreted one scene where he got tipsy at a party (where every character got drunk) and turned into him a useless drunkard for no reason. But to get back to the why of it, like I said this is really just to get the Puck/Rickert relationship out of the way with the least possible amount of effort.

I've been reading a ton of people's thoughts about this chapter online and the normies are eating it up. They're even calling it a peak chapter and the best one to come out from the new team. smh.
I wished we would've just got a summary from Koji on what Miura told him or envisioned the ending was going to be and I would be at peace with that.
Cause man these new chapters aren't worth waiting months at a time for.

2) They must know that an human-ish army, no matter how big, stands no chances against Falconia. They must know it, and that's a nonsense decision no matter how much I look at it. It's just the fast forward button to get to the final battle, but it feels waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too premature, nobody is ready for such a front-to-front battle. Horrible.
You guys seem to forget that this time they have something they didn't before. Mori. And with him, literally anything is possible.

I've been reading a ton of people's thoughts about this chapter online and the normies are eating it up. They're even calling it a peak chapter and the best one to come out from the new team. smh.
I wished we would've just got a summary from Koji on what Miura told him or envisioned the ending was going to be and I would be at peace with that.
Cause man these new chapters aren't worth waiting months at a time for.
Haven't read the episode (Nor do I tend do) but this is just how causal audiences are with any franchise.

Take the Star Wars sequel trilogy that was made. Even if I see people online hating on it, I think general audiences like those films. I think that's what happening with Berserk here.

Top Bottom