Games for 2008

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Got DMC4. I love it, but I'm a hopeless fanboy. It's got some good twists in the story, and some of the combat sequences when you grab a boss with the Devil Bringer make Kratos look like a pussy. It's still full of the cheesy one liners, but there's still something satisfying about seeing Nero tell the last boss to blow himself.

CnC

Ad Oculos
I'm torn on whether or not to buy DMC4 or just rent it. Is there REALLY a reason to go back and play it after beating it?

CnC said:
I'm torn on whether or not to buy DMC4 or just rent it. Is there REALLY a reason to go back and play it after beating it?

E-peen?

I enjoy the amazing challenge of the harder difficulties. With that said, after completing any such thing, I look back at my time wasted and think "why didn't I use that for something like... writing a book?"

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:

Apparently the part with Dante involves replaying every level backwards. I also heard that it's easier than DMC3. Unless you're a fan, I'd advise to rent it first.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
It's definately rentable, but There's a lot to unlock in terms of moves and special abilities which could add replayability if you like maxing stuff out. Also, retreading stuff with Dante isn't as bad as it could have been, they really change up the environments. They don't rescale the bosses though, which is a shame when you get to what was the first boss and tear it a new one without lifting a finger. Depending on your free time, you could probably beat it in two days, so rent away.

Also, gonna pick up Lost Odyssey next week for better or worse. The gamespy review is intimidating, but IGN and Gametrailers, who I trust more, seemed to like it so I'm praying the storyline and art style make it a worthy buy.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I beat DMC4 in two nights and loved it and now I'm replaying it on the harder difficulty. Like everyone else said the fighting is really unbelievably cool and I'm still unlocking things and buying new moves even though I've beaten it once. You do get graded on how well you play each mission and you can load that on the leaderboards on live which is a plus. It was interesting comparing all the Japanese kids games, seeing as how they already have things like Dynasty warriors six and Lost Odyssey and tons of other cool looking Japanese only games. But yea I would say buy DMC4, this is lots of replaying the same levels but the harder difficulties (i think there are 5 all together) makes the game soo much more intense. Also the challenges are unbelievably hard (reminded me of Ninja gaiden). I couldn't do half of them.

Also, gonna pick up Lost Odyssey next week for better or worse. The gamespy review is intimidating, but IGN and Gametrailers, who I trust more, seemed to like it so I'm praying the storyline and art style make it a worthy buy.

I'm picking it up as soon as i fucking can. I can't wait! It seems like it's really being advertised well. Strangely, I even saw this really long tv spot for it on IFC which generally doesn't play non-movie related commercials. But they had this 5 minute trailer for Lost Odyssey which I never saw before and it had background music that seemed like the girl from The Cranberries was singing. It was very cool.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
How the hell did I not hear about this before.. wow.
I bet a lot of FFVII fans had an orgasm at this news.

How the hell indeed: the game was first announced almost 4 years ago, has been out in Japan for 4 months, and the US release date was revealed 2 months ago.

CnC

Ad Oculos
pippin22 said:
Anyone play Turok yet? I'm hoping to get my hands on it soon.

I heard it's 'meh'. It's on my possible rent list after DMC4 and Burnout.

---
But screw that..
RED ALERT 3 WAS ANNOUNCED!
http://kotaku.com/355769/red-alert-3-is-so-so-real

:D

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
pippin22 said:
Anyone play Turok yet? I'm hoping to get my hands on it soon.

From what I've heard it's honest but a little run-of-the-mill. Can't beat the original Turok! :void:

CnC said:
But screw that..

Just read about it... Awesome.

Voyevoda

Breathe and Start
CnC said:

:D

I just hope it's a more fast paced game and has more soul than Command & Conquer 3. I'll have to reserve further judgement on this till we know more about it.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Red Alert aside... some Spore news has emerged on the Interweb.

Apparently, the date is set at Sept 7, 2008, with Europe getting it a few days earlier (hoorah EU!). It's going to be on the Wii, DS, PC, Mac OX and mobile phone. Not really breaking news, but it's presence on the Wii surprised me. I don't know how to feel about the game, to be honest -- but I'm in love with the concept. Anyone else actually think it'll meet it's release date?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
Apparently, the date is set at Sept 7, 2008, with Europe getting it a few days earlier (hoorah EU!). It's going to be on the Wii, DS, PC, Mac OX and mobile phone. Not really breaking news, but it's presence on the Wii surprised me.

Well, it was announced that it'd be on the Wii a long time ago already. I'm more surprised by its presence on mobile phones. Don't know know they'll make it work. Probably won't be too far from the NDS version, more focused on the creature section and with less freedom (and quite ugly). As for the release date, why not, but I won't hold my breath.

Uriel said:
Red Alert aside... some Spore news has emerged on the Interweb.

Apparently, the date is set at Sept 7, 2008, with Europe getting it a few days earlier (hoorah EU!). It's going to be on the Wii, DS, PC, Mac OX and mobile phone. Not really breaking news, but it's presence on the Wii surprised me. I don't know how to feel about the game, to be honest -- but I'm in love with the concept. Anyone else actually think it'll meet it's release date?

The games already been delayed quite a long time. When was the first trailer released? 2 Years ago?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nonsapient said:
The games already been delayed quite a long time. When was the first trailer released? 2 Years ago?

Yeah, even a little longer than that I think.

Anyway, some more info about Red Alert 3: apparently it'll take place during World War III, with the Empire of Japan, the Soviets and the Allies fighting against each other. It seems Japan won't be playable, but another secret camp will be. The solo campaign will be playable in cooperative mode.

Lastly, the official site has 3 screenshots available in the Media section: http://www.ea.com/redalert/main.jsp

Billybob

Succumb to the will of the beast
I'm mostly just waiting on Super Smash Brothers: Brawl, and GTA IV. There's a couple other's intermingled in there, but those are the two I really want.

I would also love it if there was an announcement of Knights of the Old Republic III, but really at this point I've just given up hoping for it.

Uriel

So, GDC is here...

I'm kind of curious which websites are you, my fellow gamers, going to go to for coverage? Also, are there any games you're looking forward to/hoping to see during the convention? Me? LittleBig Planet, obviously. Preferably with a release date! If that's not possible, at least some kind of idea if a beta is due. Also, will Sony unveil it's new, unnecessary Playstation 3 SKU? I don't know if GDC is the right place to do it, mind you...

CnC

Ad Oculos
Well, 1up is doing daily podcasts of 1upYours and GFW where they have a cool assortment of developers joining the show. So I suppose that will be where I get my info.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Sorry for the bump :serpico:

Well so far the discussions that have taken place on the GFW and 1upYours podcasts (where they'll invite 2 developers and just shoot the shit about games) have been great!

So far (from memory) they've talked with:
GFW: Warren Spector and the guy who did Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
and
1upY: The guy who developed Oddword (who's nuts but interesting to listen to) and the woman who developed Uncharted.

Very interesting listens to those who are interested.

Uriel

Listening to 1up Yours right now.

Gotta say, I do like the chap from Oddworld. Sounds like a stoner... explains a lot about Abe, actually.

As for Amy...all I'll say is: WHERE IS MY LEGACY OF KAIN FINALE?!

Top Bottom