Hellsing OVA

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Oberi said:
SO what about the series, is it worth getting?  I heard it differs from the manga allot.  Then again I have all DH's releases so far and I still can't read past volume 5.  It's just not as captivating as it should be.

The first half was somewhat enjoyable, and even though I haven't read the manga, I found the last (filler) half pretty boring. I really enjoyed the first OVA episode released earlier this year and will post my opinion on the 2nd episode as soon as I get around to watching it (thanks for the link, Dwarf! :guts:).

I know I'm probably in the minority but I preferred a lot of elements to the series over the OVA/manga. The series changes about half way through, maybe a little farther on but I didnt care, I still enjoyed it.

Most of the manga villians are one shot plot devices that are there once to look cool, then die which got boring after a while. Not to mention most of them were rather annoying and almost too cartoony for a very gory and "dark" manga.

Also the series has some very kick ass music.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Well thanks to your reviews I've decided to buy the series and the ova's when they come out. The manga I think is kinda boring. The first 2 or 3 volumes are cool because of the style and the atmosphere it sets up. But by volume 5 it starts to go dry and starts to drag. Thats how I feel anyway.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Well I dont know why your wasting your time buying the series, its down right horrible, the creator of the manga even said he didnt like it, and the OVA is almost, scene for scene exactly like the manga, its the most accurate manga to animation adaption ive seen, to bad we cant get this treatment for Berserk............

Oburi

All praise Grail
Just watched the series. I thought it was pretty good. It could have been darker, gorier and more like the manga, but I guess that's what the ova's are for. But for what it's worth it was very entertaining and stylish (I like the blood red skies).

Also the series has some very kick ass music.

God that was some of the best music I've ever heard in a series. I already DL the soundtrack and man is it great.

D

darkbane

The series is not so bad, especially in the first half (flat familiars drawn on a tight budget and the rather boring Incognito excluded). The characters' visual design is done better in the series than in the manga & OVA, the ridiculous chibi scenes are not present, and, like HawaiianStallion said, the soundtrack just kicks ass. The mangaka may not like it, but I at least don't care for the opinions of a mangaka who can't draw worth shit to begin with. Having said that, the OVA does look promising right now, especially with Ceres being a bit less of a wuss than in the first series.

The soundtrack would have sold me to any show that had it. It was great, I really loved it and its one of the few anime sound tracks that I not only find berable but actually to be quite good. FLCL also had a cool Jrock type sound track.

Femto the Raven

The location of agony? The human soul.
The Dark Knight Femto said:
Well I dont know why your wasting your time buying the series, its down right horrible, the creator of the manga even said he didnt like it, and the OVA is almost, scene for scene exactly like the manga, its the most accurate manga to animation adaption ive seen, to bad we cant get this treatment for Berserk............

For the record, the orginal creator's point of view on a show based on his work has little to nothing to do with the quality of the work itself.

And I'm not seeing this scene for scene exactly like the manga nonsense. It's MUCH closer to the manga but there are still several differences.

That being said, I'm a big fan of all three works, and am looking forward to the prequel.

The OVAs are shaping out quite nicely, though a part of me tends to lean more towards "big nice budget and animation quality" over point-by-point manga retelling.
The Dark Knight Femto said:

I hate to sound blunt but,
Kouta_Hirano_at_Anime_Expo_05.jpg

Even though he's the creator of the manga, this man doesn't exactly determine whether or not I should like the series. Even though I've grown a little more appreciative of the manga, I still am not too fond of Hirano's art style or methods in story telling. As HawaiianStallion pointed out, a lot of the manga villains "to me" came out as overly noticeable plot devices and were just as much of fillers as the last episodes of Hellsing...which I liked other than the rushed feeling, and I'll contribute the series had some nice music.

Ive actually watched the OAV eps that have been released... and wow... they suck! Sure the animation is slicker, but where's my atmosphere? Where's the awesome music? And why do they rush through everything? Stuff that was cool in the series and the manga is cut down to like 5 minutes, and is just there to look cool and doesnt really relate anything to the story, characters, etc.

Im sorry but if I wanted to watch some highly stylized vampires killing stuff with good animation I'd watch Vampire Hunter D.

Top Bottom