Manga Recomendations

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
I've been a fan of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for years. It doesn't have a domestic release, though. Viz does publish the US version of Shonen Jump, so I suppose they may have the rights to JoJo's since it was published in Shonen Jump in Japan for years and years, but then again, I'm not sure they licensed every title that was in Jump.

Be forewarned: if you ever did get involved with JoJo's,have fun collecting the 60+ volumes. I don't even have them all yet. :p

I have read Blade of the Immortal and enjoy it alot. I have read Naruto and like that as well. I haven't read Bastard!! or JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Some of my favorite manga titles are Berserk, Rurouni Kenshin, Blade of the Immortal, One Piece, and GTO.

I'd like to pick up some more Korean manga as well. I already have King of Hell, but that was only a second choice. Originally I was going to get Chronicles of the Cursed Sword. Too bad. I have a feeling that Chronicles is much better. :(

Anyway, keep the replies comin'. Maybe some unknown manga? ;D

Azn He-Man666

Was it you who killed my companions,one after one?
The Dragon Slayer said:
I have read Blade of the Immortal and enjoy it alot. I have read Naruto and like that as well. I haven't read Bastard!! or JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Some of my favorite manga titles are Berserk, Rurouni Kenshin, Blade of the Immortal, One Piece, and GTO.

I'd like to pick up some more Korean manga as well. I already have King of Hell, but that was only a second choice. Originally I was going to get Chronicles of the Cursed Sword. Too bad. I have a feeling that Chronicles is much better. :(

Anyway, keep the replies comin'. Maybe some unknown manga? ;D
You like King of Hell? I saw it at Borders but was a bit aprehensive...

Most of the Manga i enjoy havn't been released domesticaly yet, but you can get them through the typical nefarius channels, anyways MPD Psycho and Blame! some stuff released here, the top three for me Berserk, Blade of the immortal and Trigun, some more good stuff is Blood just a oneshot volume. Ghost in the Shell 2 only available in comic form (no graphic novel yet) Hansel and Gretal, flcl, underground comics of japan. thats all i can think of at the moment

TheSkyTraveller

Oh, I forgot to mention Gunnm (Battle Angel Alita). Not too happy with the translation because Viz changed half the character's names and the art is flipped, but it has amazing artwork and an excellent, albeit gloomy story.

I don't want to blame Viz for changing the names when they originally brought Gunnm out here over 10 years ago, since maybe they had to play with it a little to get what they thought would be some recognizability in a market with next to no manga, but I really wish that they would do an unedited version. It would be well accepted seeing as though manga is so popular now. I heard they're supposed to release some new edition of it in the future, but I have no idea whether or not the art will be unflipped and names unchanged. If that kind of stuff pisses you off (like it does me), get the Japanese volumes.

TheSkyTraveller

Oh my god, it got up to 80 volumes??! I had stopped counting. I had a feeling you would know how many there were, Olivier. ^_-

Balthor said:
Scratch that along with Inuyasha off my manga to collect list ;)
You like Inuyasha? I think that is one of the shittiest mangas I've read along with DBZ. ::)

PS: I'd just like to say that I don't hate Inuyasha, I just don't think it's very original.

Azn He-Man666

The Dragon Slayer said:
You like Inuyasha? I think that is one of the shittiest mangas I've read along with DBZ. ::)

PS: I'd just like to say that I don't hate Inuyasha, I just don't think it's very original.
I don't like Inuyasha I just like his brother Sesshomaru who is so bad-ass I wanted the manga.

Oltobaz

Cancer no Deathmask
I'm actually quite fond of Takahashi works.I don't really like
Ranma all that much(the olds super famicom fighters are quite cool though),but Maison Ikkoku and Lum are long time favorites.

eintrigga

Today's Yamaba?
i'm rather allergic to the fact that american readers tend to make the distinction between "manga" and comics. it's not like one is really better or different from the other.

that's right, i think it's lame that some people define "anime" as something other than cartoon -- as if it's a superior form of animation or some crap like that.

TheSkyTraveller

eintrigga said:
i'm rather allergic to the fact that american readers tend to make the distinction between "manga" and comics. it's not like one is really better or different from the other.

that's right, i think it's lame that some people define "anime" as something other than cartoon -- as if it's a superior form of animation or some crap like that.

I'm not sure that's what anyone is meaning to imply with this thread. :-\

I think we realize that manga are just Japanese comics, so they really are just comics or sequential art or whatever you want to call them. The reason for the distinction is that most manga are very different from most American comics in terms of storytelling, and when people talk about American comics, they're usually talking about generic superhero comics since they're so prolific here. I think the attraction to Japanese comics is the different style of storytelling, motivated by overall themes, character development, and storylines that actually END. There are a lot of American comics that do the same thing, but these aren't what people usually think of when they think of the US comic industry, and are harder to find. I don't see the crime in categorizing them differently.

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
Initial D is good....but you gotta listen to techno when reading it, lol I dunno just my hobby when it comes to things about racing.

Oltobaz

Cancer no Deathmask
eintrigga said:
it's not like one is really better or different from the other.

It's not like one is really better than the other,but it can't be denied they're actually very different,just as the European comics are different.As it should be.

I'm having a hard time deciding which manga to buy Battle Angel Alita (the first manga) or Love Hina ???. If somebody here has read both can you tell me which manga series is better. Is Battle Angel Alita manga is as good as the anime then I'm defientatly buying it then. :)

Franz

It's a dolphin.
Dude...the Battle Angel anime SUCKED. Big time. The manga is 10000000000000000000000x better. Get it now!

I liked the anime to me it was good. So what's the deal with Viz re-releasing the manga with more extras including comments by the creator. Should I wait for the re-release or just buy the manga that is available now. ???

Franz

It's a dolphin.
CRAZYBERSERKER said:
So what's the deal with Viz re-releasing the manga with more extras including comments by the creator. Should I wait for the re-release or just buy the manga that is available now. ???

Viz is releasing the NEW Battle Angel series called Last Order. Go ahead and buy the stuff they already put out so you can catch up. :)

EDIT: Oh, they're rereleasing? Interesting. Eh, but I'd go ahead and buy the originals.

Azn He-Man666

The Dragon Slayer said:
If it weren't for that shit that occured in the 1950s with the Comics Code Authority and all that crap, my views on American comics would probably be very different today.
Indeed

Top Bottom