Mass Effect 2

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Aazealh said:
Yeah, that'd be nice. Maybe we'll get night vision goggles from Geth Armory too! :ganishka:

I dont' know. Night vision goggles kinda suck, I'd perfer my own personal Krogan.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: Finished my second playthrough, now I'm a Ruthless Earthborn chick for my third go!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
fuxberg said:
God damned it Bioware! :chomp:

Another announcement of the announcement that went wrong.

What? It's the same old news dude, look at the date: Sat Jun 27 2009.

Anyway, for those only loosely following the game, BioWare has just released information about the 2nd team mate of ME2. Haven't read too much about it, and wished I hadn't read anything at all, but apparently they don't really mind revealing that kind of info. Hopefully we won't already know the entirety of the plot by the time the game comes out.

Ko Ninja

¯\(O_o)/¯ クー
Thanks for the warning, Aaz. I'm very tempted to continue to visit the site but I'm afraid of too many spoilers so I try and keep myself from it. I wouldn't mind all the info there AFTER I beat the game, in case it adds more to the story that they didn't cover.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I was walking by the video game360 games section at Target and I saw the mass effect game. I think I'll buy it next time I get paid and give it a try.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
There's a new (Aug. 18) Mass Effect 2 interview up over on IGN: http://pc.ign.com/articles/101/1014917p1.html

This one's from the game's Executive Producer, Casey Hudson. I'll quote what I found to be the most intersting part of the interview, but know that it contains minor spoilers for exactly which major ME1 decisions will affect ME2.

IGN: If you had to pick three decisions from the first Mass Effect that most affect the story in the sequel, what would they be?

Casey Hudson: For those who haven't played Mass Effect, I should mention that (a) there are some spoilers ahead, and (b) you really should play Mass Effect. I'd say the top 3 decisions are probably the choice of
who lives and dies in the nuclear explosion on Virmire, who you had a romance with (if any), and whether you allowed the Galactic Council to die during the final battle.
These things naturally cause some of the longer-lasting effects on your story as Commander Shepard. Another interesting aspect is that the sum of your decisions – your renegade / paragon status – also has an immediate and profound effect that we can't explain without giving away some of the story.
Good to know! Also...

IGN: Will there be any Achievements in Mass Effect 2 that you can only earn if you made specific decisions in the first game?

Casey Hudson: No. You can accomplish the game's full achievements from within the game itself.
Awww. :sad:

And, for fans of the novel:

IGN: Will any upcoming Mass Effect 1 downloadable add-ons bridge the gap between the two stories?

Casey Hudson: No. Our upcoming PRC for the original Mass Effect will be a standalone story, and after that we'll be focusing strictly on Mass Effect 2 content. The novel Mass Effect: Ascension introduces some of the key people and places in Mass Effect 2, and there will be a Dark Horse comic that leads directly into the beginning of Mass Effect 2's storyline.
Now you nerds know what to go read before ME2 comes out. :troll:

the armor personalization system which goes far beyond what players could do in the first game (and that's an understatement), but because it's on its own screen you can manage the deeper level of options more easily.
:isidro: I bet that will mean more types of armor, such as helmet, boots, etc.

Ko Ninja

¯\(O_o)/¯ クー
Thanks for all that info, Walter. I think I'll just get my ME2 news from SK since it's always going to be the interesting parts plus no major spoilers for ME2. I'm excited, again...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Good to know! Also...

Logical, though I find it strange he doesn't mention
Wrex' possible death

Walter said:

Bah, achievements that require stuff from the first game would be annoying as hell. Not something I'll miss.

Walter said:
:isidro: I bet that will mean more types of armor, such as helmet, boots, etc.

Regardless of what it refers to, it sounds really cool. :ganishka:

EDIT:

Short hands-on article on Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5341763/mass-effect-2-hands-on-shepard-strikes-back

Nothing particularly new or interesting in it (writer realizes not playing Mass Effect was a big mistake), except for this:

The control layout is still somewhat complex, with the B button set to deliver a melee "gun butt" when tapped, with Shepard throwing a haymaker when held a bit longer. Still, it worked, after getting used to it.

Looks like melee attacks will be separate from the regular shooting now. Why not. Most important though is the fact BioWare has learned something from Resident Evil 5: there can never be enough haymakers in a game. :zodd:

Yet another edit to announce that the ME1's DLC is coming!! :guts:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/20/new-mass-effect-achievements-hint-at-dlc-finally/

And I've lent my game! Nooooo!!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm wondering about the nature of the achievements. Two of them mention placing first in some event. I wonder if that means there will be NPC/ai combatants in some kind of arena, or if it's like an online/multiplayer leaderboard? :isidro:

I really hope this DLC gets released for PC as well, and soon. The last DLC took about 4-6 months longer to release for PC than its 360 counterpart, from what I remember reading.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I'm wondering about the nature of the achievements. Two of them mention placing first in some event. I wonder if that means there will be NPC/ai combatants in some kind of arena, or if it's like an online/multiplayer leaderboard? :isidro:

Hoping for multiplayer here, though it's unfortunately not very likely. Still, this can't come out soon enough.

Walter said:
I really hope this DLC gets released for PC as well, and soon. The last DLC took about 4-6 months longer to release for PC than its 360 counterpart, from what I remember reading.

I imagine they developed both versions simultaneously this time around... At least that's what they're doing with ME2.

I'll be pissed if the DLC is just some "arena"..
And from the rumors it will be. I can predict my response if that happens. "What? One year and that's what you can come up with?"

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
fuxberg said:
And from the rumors it will be. I can predict my response if that happens. "What? One year and that's what you can come up with?"
They haven't been working on the DLC of a 2 year old game for one year. BioWare has been working on Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2 and The Old Republic. Despite the promises made at its initial release, I'm thinking of this DLC as the parting icing on the cake of the original Mass Effect.

Ko Ninja

¯\(O_o)/¯ クー
Even if it is "just some arena," I think it'd be better than nothing. I'm all giddy over all this ME stuff in the 'news' lately. All of these ME2 enhancements are really interesting. Especially a separate melee button. Thank goodness.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
fuxberg said:

Those aren't rumors, it's what the developers announced a while back in a video about the game.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Found this when I was looking up some info on the new DLC.

http://www.el33tonline.com/past/2009/8/25/second_mass_effect_dlc_pack/
After a bit of a ‘whoops’ moment, when this second Mass Effect downloadable content (DLC) pack accidentally became available on the Swiss and Swedish Xbox LIVE Marketplaces, it’s now officially become available for all to buy.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah it's there, I'm downloading it right now (even though I still don't have my copy of the game back). It's ~237MB. They've also added Mass Effect-themed clothes for the avatars.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Found this when I was looking up some info on the new DLC.

http://www.el33tonline.com/past/2009/8/25/second_mass_effect_dlc_pack/
Thanks for the heads-up Bob, no one else is reporting this yet, strangely... I suppose I'll be able to play my PC version in October or so :sad:

Aazealh said:
They've also added Mass Effect-themed clothes for the avatars.
That's just awesome. I'm so jealous! :mozgus:

Top Bottom