Media Blasters Remastering Berserk

E

emorace

Strange, not much resonance here, but thank you DirectDK, and thank you FujiSan, I thought about buying the remastered DVD Set for a while now, but wanted to awaid some resonance here, like FujiSan, some minutes ago I bought the set on Archonia, good shop for Europeans I would say, my first order, hope I get the set fast. ^^

I can definitely see a difference in video quality in the comparison video. I'll be picking up this new set sometime soon.

Thanks for all the hard work, DirectDK!

It's available for ~$26 on rightstuf.com on a weekly bargain price (until this thursday I think). Although I didn't plan to get it now I bought it anyway. I think it's a pretty good deal. Just wanted to share. Maybe someone here is also interested in getting it cheap.

Thanks oside, emorace, and billybudd!! It looks like the set has been selling well (I think it sold the most of any of our other titles in Feburary).

I saw a review on another site with some more comparison shots. You can really see the difference in this shot.

Link to full review!

Dembol said:
It's available for ~$26 on rightstuf.com on a weekly bargain price (until this thursday I think). Although I didn't plan to get it now I bought it anyway. I think it's a pretty good deal. Just wanted to share. Maybe someone here is also interested in getting it cheap.

Good ol' rightstuf =)

E

emorace

today my set arrived, first of: Great packaging, for this price you cant beef around.
I want to do a Comparison in detail between the Remastered Version and the German One we got over here on my page.

Got some Questions to you DK, as you was the mainspring for this Remastered Set.

where does the Master Material come from in the case of this license ? I´m not into the authoring of an professional Anime DVD, so i ask, becouse while scanning through the remastred 1st DVD i got some very few ... hmn, how could i see, you better have a look here (@all: dont misunderstand this, the current remastered version is at the first look great indeed, i thought about problems that could exists in the original source, it looks like ... analog "glitches"

1zh1vn9.jpg

1i09ah.jpg

nya8on.jpg

emorace said:
today my set arrived, first of: Great packaging, for this price you cant beef around.
I want to do a Comparison in detail between the Remastered Version and the German One we got over here on my page.

Got some Questions to you DK, as you was the mainspring for this Remastered Set.

where does the Master Material come from in the case of this license ? I´m not into the authoring of an professional Anime DVD, so i ask, becouse while scanning through the remastred 1st DVD i got some very few ... hmn, how could i see, you better have a look here (@all: dont misunderstand this, the current remastered version is at the first look great indeed, i thought about problems that could exists in the original source, it looks like ... analog "glitches"

Hey emorace! Glad you bought the set and are wanting to do a comparison between the two! I would love to see shots of the German vs the MB Remastered.

About your question, those aren't "glitches" by any means. Those are the glue marks from piecing together the film. All the cuts will essentially have them. If you look back on any old anime done in film, they will be there. Thing is, all old TVs (the standard tube full frame televisions) have something called image/title safe. All those glue marks are generally unseen when watching on a normal standard def television. However, many widescreen tvs and all computer monitors will show the full picture, and thus you will see those glue marks on every cut. Unfortunately, the sharper the transfer, the more pronounced those glue marks are. Trade off I guess!

E

emorace

Yeah, i guessed that allready, becouse while looking through the PAL German DVD Source, i saw that glue marks too, as you sayed about the sharpness, becouse of the bad authoring from Panini Video, not in that sharp way like on your remastered version.

Don´t be scared, what you see now could look for you like a bad joke, but the following pictures is 1:1 from the original copy of my German Berserk DVD Set. Imagine, Panini did a good Job in packaging the DVD Set, it is leant through the MEdia Blasters Box of War i think, and Berserk was there first Job for their new Label Panini Video in Germany ... but, it is not a big deal to say, that for all german, i would say the italians will have the same problem then too, the localized Official DVD Versions are from Quality Perspective weak ...

334pt9f.png

2ewz6ld.png

The Only Special Extra, that they´ve done for the German DVD Set, was to pack in some limited postcards,
we only have the 2.0 Japanese dub, and not that good german subtitles ... how poor you couldn´t pack in the german subtitles into your release officialy, that there would be no obstacle for any german ^^

E

emorace

@DK
What is this nice lamination on the dvd´s, they look so great with it like ... "fresh" ...

edit:
another question, what did you use as a reference for the color spectrum of the picture?

00-Comp-PAL-NTSC-Color.png

This is a Comparison between your Remastered NTSC Source, and the German/Italian PAL Source,
plus as the ..."highest reference" - an screenshot, i would say official press picture,
http://www.showtime.jp/app/detail/contents/h15vid205400610444307/

The PAL Version is too much, and the Remastered NTSC a bit to ... "bleary" (?) i think ...

Were the title cards changed back to the original Japanese like the credits have been?

EDIT: To answer my own question, yes. So has the "Next Episode" title. The menus are slightly different in that icon is now yellow on all six volumes, whereas before volumes 1-5's icon was white and v6's red, which I suppose no one will care about but me, but I always thought it appropriate considering volume six is not only the finale but also the point at which you start watching the last episode recaps as they contain new sequences instead of just a run of clips from last episode. Also, the chapter skip feature now goes two seconds into the new episode preview, so unless you watch through the whole end credits you don't see the "Next Episode" title, because the skip goes right past it. The Forces music uses a little of its punch like this, as the two second fade in was far more foreboding and, I don't know, epic.

The video and sound are vastly improved, which I appreciate. There is a bit of a problem with the video, and I feel it may induce headaches in me if I don't learn to ignore it. As emorace pointed out, there are glue marks. The thing is, they flash for a quarter of a second at the bottom of the screen, grainy white-grey or black ember-orange, almost EVERY time a scene cuts(two in three cuts, thereabout). And if you notice it once, it's hard to stop noticing, as the average scene cuts 23 times in a minute during fight scenes, and an average of nine times during conversation.

I know at 720x480, it generally only takes up the last 24 pixels (so 457-80, .05 or 5%, a 720x24 block), but it just pulls me out of the scene a bit. Most people probably won't notice, or care, and it doesn't make me hate the set, I'm just trying to watch as much of it as I can to sink back into the groove of watching and turn off the part of my brain that picks nits.

EDIT(2): Sorry for the double post faux pas, whoever pared my posts down properly.

My revised opinion is that, upon watching more of the series, I realize that the glue-spots are a randomly occurring phenomenon that last for a couple minutes each episode, and as long as you aren't sitting at your computer hawkeyeing them like myself, you'll never notice them. Hell, I had a hard time noticing them afterwhile, especially because the first time they start disappearing in an episode it becomes a headache to watch for something that isn't there, then you forget, episode progresses as normal, no problems.

So, in summation, glue-spots barely noticeable, video improved, sound improved, subtitles improved, and the return of Japanese kanji in ending, opening, preview title and the opening scene of the series is very, very welcome. I like that the scene skips over the BERSERK BERSERK intertitle and goes straight to the show, I don't like that it skips the "Next Episode" title. Also, the cover art on discs two and three should have been switched, as the events depicted on disc two don't take place until disc three. However the etching work on all six discs is exquisite.

Long ramble this post has become aside, I'm selling my old set.

May I ask if rightstuf.com could send this DVDbox to France.
I don't find any clue on the website.
In advance, thankks a lot ;)

I have a kind of odd question. Did your guys' sets have one of those white security stickers on the top underneath the plastic? I didn't notice until I got home, but this is probably the first DVD I've ever purchased that didn't have one.

By the way, I picked up the set at Best Buy for $16 including tax. Some Best Buy stores are clearing out most of their anime with 50% off sales. One store around here still received this new release for some reason.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
My copy arrived today and so far I've watched four episodes.  The image quality is great and I was surprised at how much better it sounds even though it's only in stereo.  Good work, Derek!

P.S. - I'm glad they corrected the Snake Baron's speech about Guts being the one hunting "Apostles," since he used the term "Servants" in the first edition.  I may be mistaken, but it looks like Causality is still being translated as Fate.

BillyBudd said:
I have a kind of odd question. Did your guys' sets have one of those white security stickers on the top underneath the plastic? I didn't notice until I got home, but this is probably the first DVD I've ever purchased that didn't have one.

By the way, I picked up the set at Best Buy for $16 including tax. Some Best Buy stores are clearing out most of their anime with 50% off sales. One store around here still received this new release for some reason.

Mine was like that and like you I also got it at Best Buy. (How some stores got it is honestly beyond me since half of the stores will now only carry top releases as of March 21st.)  I fired up the first disc last night and due to how good of a job they did on the remaster I honestly do feel a little bad for getting at such a low price.

Also, I may be in the minority on this, but I like the artwork for the DVD cover. It may not be as good as the Box of War (which is the best anime boxset I've seen and was what actually convinced me to buy the series when it first came out in individual releases rather than waiting for a full boxset release), but it's appropriate boxart for this release.

E

emorace

ehm, if someone´s interested:
http://berserk-blutrache.de/anime/?postTabs=1

wrote this technical review a week ago ... comparing the both ntsc sources, and our Pal one here in germany ;)
I think you can understand withouth knowing german, pictures, pictures ;)

So DirectDK you personally headed the dubbing duties on the Remastering?

I'm not saying that I'm expecting anything solid, but if there was a 2nd Season of a Berserk anime, would your studio be the first to know? Would it be likely that they return to your services to dub such? Or is that up in the air? I don't mean to impose, I'm just realizing how much diversity this site has with its members so embedded into Berserk, to the point that some of them are on the teams that have the responsibility of remastering the actual anime of Berserk. I think thats pretty cool.

UHH holy shit, why is it only 27 dollars on Rightstuf? Wtf, that's great... I'm going to buy it even though I have amazon gift certificates (but amazon has it for 45)

When I was reading your guys' post I thought Rightstuf's deal was for "1 dvd" or something like that... but man, the whole series? Everyone should get this.

Death May Die said:
So DirectDK you personally headed the dubbing duties on the Remastering?

Hey Death. Not sure what you mean by "dubbing duties", but as Aaz said, Media Blasters wouldn't be the first to know. I'm sure we'd know earlier than some, but I think if a 2nd season were to be announced, the whole internet will explode and everyone will find out anyways =). Sorry!

Just got mine - very nice!

Bought it from playusa.com for £17.99 with free delivery to England, a bargain I would recommend to anyone (and only took 4 days to arrive) :guts:

Strife

Forsaken Destiny
Just got mine from best buy tonight and I absolutely love the disc art and packaging. This is my 3rd berserk anime set now and I think it's my favorite. I even like it better than my box of war set... though my last disc in BoW set crapped out so I might be biased against it hehe.

Top Bottom