Movies to dread

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
My god this is so messy and full of shit that I cried laughing.

The Johnny 5 "ROBERT COP TWOOOO!" reveal gets me every time. "BEHAVE YOURSELVES!"

"Dead or alive I'll be back."

Check this version of RoboCop out - http://ourrobocopremake.com/

Our RoboCop Remake is a crowd-sourced film project based on the 1987 Paul Verhoeven classic. Connected through various filmmaking channels (including Channel 101) we're 50 filmmakers (amateur and professional) from Los Angeles and New York who have split the original RoboCop into individual pieces and have remade the movie ourselves. Not necessarily a shot-for-shot remake, but a scene-for-scene retelling. As big fans of the original RoboCop, and as filmmakers and film fans admittedly rolling our eyes at the Hollywood remake machine, we've elected to do this remake thing our own way.

Things pick up after the first 20 mins. There are some incredibly sad moments of a lonely RoboCop : /

Griffith

IncantatioN said:
Check this version of RoboCop out - http://ourrobocopremake.com/

Things pick up after the first 20 mins. There are some incredibly sad moments of a lonely RoboCop : /

I'm about halfway through, and the Fatal Farm produced segment will literally and figuratively blow you away, plus you might find yourself involuntarily cross-legged for a while. :magni:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSPzsV2YN6Q NSFW or home, and potentially traumatizing. I was laughing through the pain though.

Also, another excellent rebuke of the new RoboCop compared to the old:

http://gawker.com/the-new-robocop-is-what-robocop-meant-to-kill-1522915976

Griffith

You guys aren't dreading enough if I have to double post in here. Anyway, previous trailers, and we know how deceptive those can be, made this look like it could be the closest thing to a fully realized version of the comic world (Ultimate and all) it's adapting. Something with potential, to look forward to. Then I saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8-Odemll7A

"Uh oh" or "oh no," you decide.

Also, a new game I thought up that's becoming increasingly easy to play with each big superhero movie release: take a plot description from any random or unlikely non-superhero movie and replace the characters names with the names of their actors' superhero film counterparts. Relevant example:

Sideways
Directed by Alexander Payne, Sideways follows Rhino (Paul Giamatti), who is distressed about his lack of success as a novelist, and Sandman (Thomas Haden Church), an equally unsuccessful actor with a rapidly approaching wedding. In a last-ditch effort to sow their wild oats, Sandman and Rhino take off on a final road trip to California's wine country the week prior to Sandman's wedding. Both men have goals for the vacation -- Rhino wants to turn Sandman on to the art of wine tasting, while Sandman is concerned with exploiting his last days as a bachelor -- but when the two men come across two fascinating women (Virginia Madsen and Sandra Oh), the duo is forced to examine their morality, and if maturity isn't such a depressing prospect -- at least, for one of them.

Here's a good one:

American Hustle
A fictional film set in the alluring world of one of the most stunning scandals to rock our nation, American Hustle tells the story of brilliant con man Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale), who along with his equally cunning and seductive British partner Lois Lane (Amy Adams) is forced to work for a wild FBI agent Rocket Racoon (Bradley Cooper). Racoon pushes them into a world of Jersey powerbrokers and mafia that's as dangerous as it is enchanting. Jeremy Renner is Hawkeye, the passionate, volatile, New Jersey political operator caught between the con-artists and Feds. Batman's unpredictable wife Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence) could be the one to pull the thread that brings the entire world crashing down. Like David O. Russell's previous films, American Hustle defies genre, hinging on raw emotion, and life and death stakes.

Griffith said:
"Uh oh" or "oh no," you decide.

I'm giving it the oh no. I was extremely dissatisfied with The Amazing Spiderman. Tobey Maguire is and always will be Spiderman in my book, Andrew Garfield delivered a mediocre at best performance in The Amazing Spiderman, and his portrayal of Spiderman pales in comparison to Tobey Maguire's... The story really wasn't that bad, but Andrew Garfield just had no business playing Spiderman in my opinion. It just didn't feel like Spiderman anymore. Just my .02$

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vodnak said:
Tobey Maguire is and always will be Spiderman in my book

gutsbarf.gif

Hanma_Baki said:
^
Haha yeah thats my reaction to these remarks too :ganishka: Its just sad people grow up thinking THATS THE Spider-man.

I'm sorry, so then I guess there has been a better film adaptation than what Tobey Maguire and Sam Raimi delivered? That is Spiderman, I'm sorry you don't agree. But the movie is titled Spiderman, and Tobey Maguire happens to play Peter Parker who just so happens to be Spiderman. It's got Spiderman written all over it. I have been reading Spiderman since I was a kid. The original Spiderman trilogy is the most faithful to the franchise. The 3rd was disappointing to an extent. But I'll still take it over Andrew Garfield as The Amazing Spiderman any day. Agree to disagree I guess.

Griffith

Yep, the name of those movies was definitely Spider-Man... case closed? My problem with the Raimi/Maguire interpretation is there's too much emphasis on his nerd angst, even when he's possessed by the symbiote and should be a total badass he's still a loser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4tDbEuMxys

SPIDER-MAN!

Anyway, Peter Parker shouldn't be a totally hopeless doofus, and while a bit dated now the first Spider-Man movie is probably the most balanced in that portrayal (plus he starts out in high school and grows up) and capturing the look and feel of the comics on screen. It was pretty amazing for its time considering the X-Men were still wearing Tim Burton Batsuits and this thing had a fucking no-shit Spider-Man in all his unapologetic red and blue glory. Spider-Man 2 goes way overboard on the angst (Raimi does everything but have a black rain cloud follow him), but it serves the theme of arguably the best pre-Dark Knight comic book superhero movie. Plus, they never directly reference organic web shooters, the first film's most fatal TRU FAN failing (though if the symbiote is considered as precedent it's not a bad reference for a movie that basically tries to mashup the essence of Spider-Man in 120 minutes), so in a vacuum Spider-Man 2 is still Spider-Man movie numero uno unless this thing can topple it (not likely).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vodnak said:
That is Spiderman, I'm sorry you don't agree. But the movie is titled Spiderman, and Tobey Maguire happens to play Peter Parker who just so happens to be Spiderman. It's got Spiderman written all over it.

This makes you sound like you have a mental problem.

Vodnak said:
But I'll still take it over Andrew Garfield as The Amazing Spiderman any day. Agree to disagree I guess.

There's quite a difference between saying the Raimi movies were less bad than these and "Tobey Maguire is and always will be Spiderman". For someone who's been reading the comics since he's a kid I'd expect you pictured Peter Parker as less of a doofus in your head.

Griffith said:
Yep, the name of those movies was definitely Spider-Man... case closed? My problem with the Raimi/Maguire interpretation is there's too much emphasis on his nerd angst, even when he's possessed by the symbiote and should be a total badass he's still a loser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4tDbEuMxys

SPIDER-MAN!

Thanks a pantload. I thought I'd forgotten that trainwreck ever existed.

*looks for neuralyzer*

Aazealh said:
This makes you sound like you have a mental problem.

Sure it does. Thanks for the diagnosis. :ubik:

Aazealh said:
There's quite a difference between saying the Raimi movies were less bad than these and "Tobey Maguire is and always will be Spiderman". For someone who's been reading the comics since he's a kid I'd expect you pictured Peter Parker as less of a doofus in your head.

I guess we're reading different versions of the same comic, because the ones I have portray him as kind of a doofus? I'm amazed at the amount of criticism I'm receiving over a very uncontroversial comment I made. I just so happen to like the original trilogy. That's it, why am I being probed for that? Lol.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vodnak said:
I'm amazed at the amount of criticism I'm receiving over a very uncontroversial comment I made. I just so happen to like the original trilogy. That's it, why am I being probed for that? Lol.

People discussing things on a discussion forum? Who'd have thought. Stop playing the victim.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think a lot of us are just surprised that anyone liked Dopey McGuire's sleepy portrayal of an otherwise rambunctious superhero. Much less someone who adamantly opposes anyone else taking up the mantle.

I haven't seen Amazing Spider-Man, but I'm pretty much over Marvel movies at this point... I thought Garfield's performance seemed pretty accurate to the comics in the trailers I've seen though .

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
I think a lot of us are just surprised that anyone liked Dopey McGuire's sleepy portrayal of an otherwise rambunctious superhero. Much less someone who adamantly opposes anyone else taking up the mantle.

I haven't seen Amazing Spider-Man, but I'm pretty much over Marvel movies at this point... I thought Garfield's performance seemed pretty accurate to the comics in the trailers I've seen though .

It was for Spidey, but not Peter. That was my only beef with the movie: Peter was way too socially awkward. The rest was actually pretty decent. From what I've heard, Garfield is going to actually be a lot more like Peter in the new movie.

Deci

For someone reading Spider-Man ever since he was a kid I'm really surprised you type it "Spiderman", some Spidey fans get really annoyed by that, since it's supposed to be Spider-Man. Anyway. :troll:

I really enjoyed Garfield as Spider-Man and Peter Parker, this is obviously the Ultimate universe and I think I like it more. His Spider-Man 100% at least. Looking forward to part 2 personally, except for the actor playing the Green Goblin, I don't like that actor. :( Also, the Ultimate version of Green Goblin is horrendous.

Norman_Osborn_002.jpg
Ugh

Foxx's Electro looks like a lot of fun though! And Giamatti's Rhino should be equally so, at least.

Griffith

Walter said:
I haven't seen Amazing Spider-Man, but I'm pretty much over Marvel movies at this point... I thought Garfield's performance seemed pretty accurate to the comics in the trailers I've seen though.

Yeah, in general he looks and acts the part more like my idea of Peter Parker, and the movie itself is more in the vein of Nolan's Dark Knight films or X-Men First Class than the the Marvel studios movies, which aside from a couple exceptions seemingly just aim for the middle. Or, to put it another way, it's more like a real movie with Spider-Man than an adequate live action cartoon; coincidentally, a style the original Spider-Man movies perfected. Anyway, it's worth a look, you might like it a lot better than the Raimi versions.

Deci said:
Foxx's Electro looks like a lot of fun though! And Giamatti's Rhino should be equally so, at least.

Again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8-Odemll7A

Yeah... otherwise I enjoy Paul Giamatti when he's playing the part he was born to: Paul Giamatti. I like the R.H.I.N.O mech suit though, too bad he's only supposed to be in the movie for like 5 minutes. Also, it's disappointing to see how CGI reliant that scene was (it's basically a cartoon) considering the last movie very effectively made use of more practical effects for Spider-Man and it looked good.

Deci said:
I really enjoyed Garfield as Spider-Man and Peter Parker,
His Spider-Man 100% at least.

Yeah I think he did a great job.

Johnstantine said:
It was for Spidey, but not Peter. That was my only beef with the movie: Peter was way too socially awkward.

I guess I never really put that much thought into that particular aspect, too caught up in Spidey. Im gonna rewatch it soon so I´ll keep it in mind but sounds good either way if they´ll fix it for the second.

Anyway, feels pretty rare to get a good super hero live action adaptation and IMO this is practically the nearest example of ideal. But of course I probably got a lot different criteria than most than most fans out there.

I cant deny the Sam Raimi version (first two) definitely had their charm and was pretty good for their time. And to some (most?) fans it seems like the idea of making a super hero adaptation as dark/realistic as possible would be disastrous on all grounds no matter how you see it. I´ve personally always quite liked that vision of super hero stories/universes. In fact Nolan's Batman would probably be the best example here but TASM is the first movie Im basically fully satisfied with. The only thing I would´ve liked them to adress more substantially (even if the point probably got across) is the spider-sense, but I was so surprised with what we did get that I kinda forgot about it. One of those things, in contrast to the Raimi version, is that they emphasize Spidey's physical strength/durability/mortality in a better way, especially in relation to the villian, Spidey´s "power" is more focused on his agility and speed rather than raw super human strength, as he gets overpowered by the Lizard. Okay, theres that bathroom scene but I think it makes sense with him not having gotten control quite yet. And of course the genius level intellect which leads him to create the web shooters, WHICH I LOVE! :guts:

this is obviously the Ultimate universe and I think I like it more.

I might be leaning more towards Amazing (probably cause of nostalgia) but I like them both actually, both got ups and downs in different fields, and theres so many more versions of Spidey (although Ultimate and Amazing being the big ones) I feel like I cant pick one thats "absolute" if you will.

I´d like to hear you thoughts on what makes you think theres so much more influence from the Ultimate universe though? Could be something Im missing, only watched some of the action scenes since I saw it the first time. Also LOL! In relation to the discussion it just occurd to me that these movies are called "Amazing" and not "Ultimate." Well theres at least one argument against that for ya! :iva:

Also, the Ultimate version of Green Goblin is horrendous.

Haha I know, that version is kinda like some were-hulk. Even got the shredded purple pants and all :iva: (but thats GG´s color too so I guess they had no choice...) Although being a little over-sized as well I gotta say I liked the version of GG in Shattered Dimensions, epsecially with that fairground theme and all. The whole game is great fun btw.

Griffith said:
Also, it's disappointing to see how CGI reliant that scene was (it's basically a cartoon) considering the last movie very effectively made use of more practical effects for Spider-Man and it looked good.

Its just barely one scene though, and to me (not a movie visuals expert or anything) it looks pretty good for being CGI. I bet it looks even better with the 3D effect too. But I definitely agree that it would be disappointing if they´d rely on that level of CGI throughout all the action scenes. Either way I wouldnt go so far to say its gonna be its downfall. Not yet anyway, a little faith please :iva:

EDIT:
Speaking of Spider-man and Marvel I might as well contribute something to the actual topic of the thread.

Avenger's Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher

Marvel anime style! Seriously whose idea was this? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a super hero film script as thin as this. Also, what’s with the recurring bro-fists? :iva:

The animation is decent at best, not too fond of the character designs.

Absolutely despise most of the voice acting, some of them sound like straight out of a stereotypical kid’s anime show. That coupled with some lousy written dialogue occasionally almost makes me cringe in agony.

And yeah those were some REALLY bio-enhance super-powered soldiers! Black Widow even had to make a spinning back kick to take one out, impressive!

Hulk and the rest of the cameos are as hollow and tasteless as it gets.

Pathetic and one-dimensional villian. “I love you, Natasha! Look, I became a villian for your sake!”
Oh yeah, he’s a villain with the power of LOVE! :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Surprise, it looks like hot garbage. But that franchise has meant nothing to me for more than 2 decades. Kids, dig in.

Griffith

It would be hard to top the first TMNT movie in any case, which was surprisly earnest considering the objectively ridiculous subject matter and the potential for it to be utterly terrible. Really, the Michael Bayification of the Turtles on screen is the more typical and likely result.

3283359-2886846-vlcsnap-2012-02-12-23h29m23s2.png

e45f9_Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_pizza.jpg

Deci

I never knew until recently that apparently the first TMNT movie was an indie film. :???: It was really great, I remember getting a similar feeling to Shredder's introduction as I did Darth Vader's when I was a kid.

ninja-turtles-shredder.jpg

Enter the Shredder :femto:
(That's Sam Rockwell in the bottom center there too. :slan: )

I have to admit that my inner child is excited. There's a special place in my heart for those dudes, and I even collected a TMNT comic by Image from '96-'99. It was black and white with art by Frank Fosco, though on the covers the turtles all had the classic red head bands. It was pretty graphic and dark stuff. Blood, dismemberment, one of the turtles even lost an eye, another lost a hand, etc.

cover.jpg

Too bad Hollywood can't adapt that story. It always bugged me, even as a kid, that the turtles use lethal weapons like swords and sai's, yet no real blood or gore was ever shown in the movies or cartoons, games, etc. The comics weren't shy about it.

The one thing that might be cool about Bay's vision, is Shredder. I know it's pretty sacrilegious he's not Japanese (I wonder if his name is even Oroku Saki), but Fichtner is a decent actor. The garb is very close to the comic I read too.

Shredder-TMNT-Movie.png
cover.jpg

Griffith

Deci said:
I have to admit that my inner child is excited. There's a special place in my heart for those dudes, and I even collected a TMNT comic by Image from '96-'99. It was black and white with art by Frank Fosco, though on the covers the turtles all had the classic red head bands. It was pretty graphic and dark stuff. Blood, dismemberment, one of the turtles even lost an eye, another lost a hand, etc.

Luckily for your inner child, he apparently hasn't experienced the painful disappointment of adulthood and the dreadful foreknowledge that comes with it, otherwise he'd be hiding in the closet shivering at the sight of this, knowing that it's not going to celebrate and fulfill his dreams, but desecrate them and his innocence. I recommend a PG movie instead.

Deci said:
Too bad Hollywood can't adapt that story. It always bugged me, even as a kid, that the turtles use lethal weapons like swords and sai's, yet no real blood or gore was ever shown in the movies or cartoons, games, etc. The comics weren't shy about it.

We already have animation of that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FABYGhzJ34

Also, the first Turtle movie was plenty violent and gritty before anyone thought things should always be that way, and considerinng what actually brought Ninja Turtles to the world's attention and their place in pop culture, I don't think we need a graphically violent Ninja Turtles hardcore goreporn. Your inner child is clearly a disturbed sadomasochist, and I now uderstand his excitement for this movie.

Deci said:
The one thing that might be cool about Bay's vision, is Shredder. I know it's pretty sacrilegious he's not Japanese (I wonder if his name is even Oroku Saki), but Fichtner is a decent actor. The garb is very close to the comic I read too.

That's pretty cool, but as a fan I'd be more concerned that everything else about it is going to be horribly, horribly wrong (or whore-ably wrong in April O'Neil's case). I know, any time you can get star power like supporting character actor William Fichtner, however offensively ill-fitting he is for the role, you have to go for it! Tangent: I hate this ongoing shit with revisionist casting. I hated it with Khan, I hate it here, and I'm going to hate it in Fantasic Four so it isn't just the whitewashing that bugs me. I'm not asking that they do their jobs well or be creative and find some great unknown actor that's perfect for the part, just do the bare minimum lazy Hollywood thing and get Ken Watanabe (everyone would say "He's perfect!" because he's the only Japanese actor they see in these movies). That's probably about the best this this production could have done and they didn't even get that right. Anyway, I'm not excited, and I really don't even care one way or the other, but this sure doesn't look like a good thing.

Hercules ... Gladiator-300-Spartacus looking ... maybe it'll make for a decent drunk movie or a complete waste of time, I feel bad for those real/ CG horses around the 1:56's - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uro03xQwrA

Top Bottom