Official SKnet Wii thread

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
dwarfkicker said:
But Galaxy is something that I'm really looking forward. That game just seems like it'll entertain me for hours on end.

Yeah, looks like it'll really be awesome. I have ridiculously high expectations for it, I must admit. BTW, the official Japanese site: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/rmgj/

dwarfkicker said:
In other news, Sonic joins the Smash Bros roster:
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/index.html

Yeah I mentioned it in the Monster Hunter 3 thread, Sonic looks like he fits perfectly in Smash Bros, and I have a feeling this game will sell like hotcakes. With the success the Wii is getting and the new characters/features, it should beat Melee's sales numbers without too much difficulty.

Anyway far clarity's sake here's what I posted about Nintendo's Fall conference:

Aazealh said:
- Monster Hunter 3 on the Wii. (Clicky).
- Sonic will be in the new Smash Bros, which will be playable online in co-op
- WiiFit is coming out on December 1st for 8800¥ in Japan (for your wife? :guts:)
- Mario Kart Wii is slated for release in early 2008 (bundled with a steering wheel, and the game will feature motorcycles!)
- Nintendo's going to launch a "DS Demo Station" service so that people can download demos of NDS games from their Wii
- Super Mario Stadium Baseball, Time Splitters 4 and Prince of Persia announced/confirmed for the Wii
- Fire Emblem and Card Hero announced on NDS
- Various added functionalities for the Wii's online service, and the first WiiWare games announced: FF:CC "The Young King and the Promised Land" (1500 points), Pokemon Farm (Pokemon Diamond/Pearl spin-off), Doctor Mario, Star Soldier R, Joysound (a karaoke that uses a USB microphone), a new Bomberman, and a game from Namco Bandai called Mojipittan.

SMZKAH

I shall find the crystal of peace
dwarfkicker said:
In other news, Sonic joins the Smash Bros roster:
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/index.html

Well, I guess you all beat me to it...although I suppose I couldn't have expected that news to go unbroken.

I've been excited for brawl since last november....haven't felt this way since melee's release. Nintendo is taking this game very seriously, and I for one think it's going to be a blast to play. I was hoping for sonic's inclusion so today's update was awesome.

With sonic in, now all that's left is megaman and I'll be really happy.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SMZKAH said:
With sonic in, now all that's left is megaman and I'll be really happy.
That's a uh, Capcom licensed character, not Nintendo or SEGA. I mean, sure, I'd like Mothra and Rob Zombie to be playable characters too, but it's unfortunately not going to happen :judo:

In other Wii news, my fiancee said she'd get me the console on one condition — i buy her Wii Fit when it hits the states. Sounds like a good deal to me.

The director said there would be 3 3rd party characters, Walter. Snake and Sonic have been confirmed. Thus Konami and Sega are represented. A Capcom representative in the form of Megaman is not so far off.

In the beginning he let the fans send in character requests. And the most desired characters would be added to the game. He said no anime/manga characters, and they had to have appeared on a Nintendo platform. And Megaman has how many games with Nintendo?

Though Sonic and Snake were probably decided the moment Nintendo got to work on Brawl. As Sakurai and Kojima are friends, Sakurai was going to put Snake in Melee at Kojima's request. But due to the timing of it all, Snake didn't make the cut. The same went for Sonic, as I believe it was Yuji Naka who requested Sonic to appear in Melee as well. But his request was said to have come towards just about the end of the development, so he to obviously didn't make the cut.

Also, a funny thing, Kojima, Nomura, and someone else had a round-table interview at E3. They touched on Kojima and Snake's appearance in Brawl and then turned to Nomura and asked if we could expect Cloud to appear as well. To which he responded with a laugh, that he's sorry but they didn't get an invite into the game.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'd forgotten about Snake, since he was a given from the outset (and I honestly haven't been following this game's development, since I've never played a Smash game). But seriously, SEGA and Nintendo have been hand in hand for a while now, so Sonic wasn't exactly SHOCKING to me. Capcom is more independant though.

Anyway, another character has yet to be announced? So what you're saying is that there MAY be a chance to see Fester from Fester's Quest in here?

Anyway, another character has yet to be announced? So what you're saying is that there MAY be a chance to see Fester from Fester's Quest in here?

Probably not. Even though the director said no anime/manga characters, I'm sure tv and movie characters fall under that rule as well.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Duly noted, but I'm still going to hang onto my hopes for the chef from BurgerTime making his debut in 3D. Hey, don't laugh! The game's been ported to "several home computers and consoles: Apple II, Atari 2600, ColecoVision, Commodore 64, MS-DOS, Intellivision, Mattel Aquarius, MSX, NES and TI-99/4A. More recently, it can be found on mobile phones."

Has Mega Man sown his seeds that far in the industry? :carcus:

PS: The chef's name is PETER PEPPER according to Wikipedia... jesus christ, fucking Internet

SMZKAH

Well, I guess Brawl has been delayed...pushed back to January 24 for japan, no official date yet for NA (I've seen Feb 10th...on one site), and no word for Europe...I think.... O well, I guess it's something I've gotten used to by now.

Looks like Super Mario Galaxy will have to last me until then....and NiGHTS....if that isn't delayed as well (which I think it probably will be)...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SMZKAH said:
Well, I guess Brawl has been delayed...pushed back to January 24 for japan, no official date yet for NA (I've seen Feb 10th...on one site), and no word for Europe

Well, the official date is still December 3rd for the US release until told otherwise, but yeah, it's likely to be delayed too. As for Europe, we've known since August than we'd only get it in 2008.

SMZKAH said:
Looks like Super Mario Galaxy will have to last me until then....and NiGHTS....if that isn't delayed as well (which I think it probably will be)...

NiGHTS... It'd be better if it was reported to be honest. Game looks like a complete wreck so far. I think it'd be wise to give it a year more of development if Sega wants to make something good with it. The games I'm planning on buying soon are Super Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy and RE: UC.

SMZKAH

Yeah, Dojo made it official on Friday. We're set for February 10.
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/info/info03.html

I picked up Metroid Prime 3 last wednesday and have been playing it in my free time. I love it, and it's a blast to play with the wii controls. That should hold me over until Galaxy. I'll be picking up Guitar Hero III when it's released; I'm not sure how much I'll really play it with MP3 and Galaxy, but I'm sure it will get its fair share of time whenever I have a few friends over.

In other news, there's a whole slew of Brawl videos out there now.

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/748/748545/vids_1.html
http://www.gamespot.com/video/928518/6180852/super-smash-bros-brawl-gameplay-demo
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/15401

and much more.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Some screenshots of Zelda: Crossbow Training (minigame included with the Wii Zapper) that Walter linked me to: http://uk.media.wii.ign.com/media/962/962748/imgs_1.html

I think it's looking fun, definitely makes me want to pick it up along with RE: UC. And while I'm at it, IGN has scores of screens of Fire Emblem Wii, they don't look too bad I must say: http://uk.media.wii.ign.com/media/826/826984/imgs_1.html

Anyway it's good to know you're having fun with Metroid Prime 3, SMZKAH. Personally as much as I want to play everything, I think I'm going to wait and just get all the Wii games I want for Christmas, I'll never have time to play them otherwise.

EDIT: Trailer of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Little King of the Promised Land: http://www.gamekult.com/video/8611101/

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Well that sounds like a good match. Hopefully that game will find more of a home on the Wii than the PS2 (the painting mechanic sounds like more more of a match).

Yeah, hopefully, like you say. I really liked the game and I think it deserves a second chance, plus the Wiimote will be perfect for it (I already got the PS2 version though, so I'm not buying it again).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://wii.ign.com/articles/829/829301p1.html

Zak and Wiki got a 9.0 from IGN. One of their highest scoring titles on the Wii, so far. I'm not totally sold on the game, as I'm wary of adventure games on the whole. But I'd like to give this one a try.

Aazealh said:
Glad to know it delivers on its promises, I'd like to give it a shot myself.
Now that I look at it, wasn't this the game someone on SK was beta testing? Maybe I'm thinking of a wrong forum, but I could have sworn I remembered somebody leaking images of this game a few months/year ago. Anyways review looks awesome, might attempt to get it myself sometime.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Phoenix Wrong! said:
Now that I look at it, wasn't this the game someone on SK was beta testing? Maybe I'm thinking of a wrong forum, but I could have sworn I remembered somebody leaking images of this game a few months/year ago.

Nope, wasn't on here.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://wii.ign.com/articles/830/830225p1.html

[quote author=IGN]
As of September 30 this year, the number of Wii units shipped worldwide is 13.17 million, while the DS has raced to 53.64 million units.

In the six month period ending September 30, Nintendo's net income jumped from 54.35 billion yen to 132.42 billion yen, while sales more than doubled compared to the same period last year, climbing from 298.8 billion yen to 694.8 billion yen.[/quote]
I think it's been proven at this point that the Wii is no GameCube clone. Can all the naysayers finally stfu now?

i have a wii but only have like three games for it. some games im looking forward to is super smash bros brawl, super mario galaxys and thats about it. They have links crossbow training coming out but dont think it will be that good

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
How many games warrants a good system? This has been discussed time and time again. Fact is, the Wii has been on the US market for under a year, but it already has several solid titles released or lined up. I think asking for more than 5 must-have titles within a year is a little too ambitious.

PS: Xbox360 sales since their 2005 launch? *cough cough* 11.5 million.

CnC

Ad Oculos
I think anyone at this point who thinks the Wii won't be a success is pretty delusional. Between this and the DS, Nintendo pretty much dominates.

Personally, I'm not getting a Wii as I've yet to see a game I could really get into. I'm not as big of a fan of the Nintendo franchises as some of the people on here are. The last mario game I probably played was 3, never played Smash Bros, and I don't remember if I ever completed a Metroid game.

Walter said:
I think asking for more than 5 must-have titles within a year is a little too ambitious.

I don't really think so. I welcome as many must-have games as possible :) The chances that one will prompt me to get the system would be greater.
But yea, it's the first year so I'm not expecting much. I'll just sit this out until something that speaks to me comes out.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I wish I could help from being a Nintendo junkie, but as early as I can remember, and throughout my gaming experience, the fondest video game memories I've had were with first-party Nintendo games. You name it, from Super Mario Bros. 1, Super Metroid, Super Mario World, (Super?) Zelda64 — these are all probably the strongest titles I can name throughout my 26 years.

That being said, speaking of gaming libraries, I'm not so closed-minded that the 360's huge library of games isn't sorely tempting. I'd own one in a heartbeat if I had more disposable income. I'm still dying to play Gears of War, for example. And XboxLiveArcade has Super Puzzle Fighter 2... and you can play it online against people?! Argh!! But this year, when I had a choice between consoles as a present, I put my chips in the hat that's delivered for me in the past and asked for a Wii, and my fiancee delivered :guts:

Top Bottom