Resident Evil 5

Guts[LCF]

† Kuroi Kenshi †
I can understand what you're saying GNM. To some it might seem like this is racism (with all the crap going on in the world now its understandable). Honestly, I didn't think nothing of it until I read comments about it. Although, if you take all the past resident evils, it was all about caucasian humans turned into zombies and slaughtering them. Now, they try to bring in a new, fresh feeling to the series going in different parts of the world, emphasizing on the fact that the zombie/las plagas etc problem is no longer just one country's problem but the worlds. They made one serious mistake in doing so though. The main hero is and has always been a white caucasian male or female, this is the reason I think some people might feel that it is a racist game. Personally I believe we don't see any other cultured people (Black's, Asians, Mexicans etc..) because the game was started with certain characters and they are obviously trying to give more "meat" to their already created characters who are missing information and such. Making a new character would mean making more story, telling us where he/she is from and tying it into the Resident Evil world. With using past characters like Chris and Leon we already know where they are from and Capcom can save a lot of time trying to build a story.

All they have to do is stick some sort of flashback or narrative scene telling us what that character was up to and then the game can begin (much less work then building new main characters and tying them in with the series plot). Another thing, a lot of fans want to see their favorite characters returning (Chris hasn't been seen from RE1 and RE:make but its basically RE:1 if I'm not mistaken) therefore you can't turn him black so people don't think this game is racist. Chris is also a favorite among many RE fans so its only logical that they finally bring him back.

I agree with your statement that an elder african-american who has gone through segregation and civil rights movement would feel offended. I doubt its Capcom's intent as to "bashing" on cultures and the such.. but Resident Evil 4 was a big hit, therefore they probably want to keep the same kind of frame around it to attain the same success. I mean who here wasn't like "Holy shit wtf did he just yell at me" and right after a fuckin patato sack on some guys head with a chainsaw comes out at you and didn't get a little cold sweat on their backs? I know I did, the fact that we ignore certain things like language (we didn't know what they were saying, well I didn't) and setting (we don't "feel" at home because of the different surroundings and architecture) is a winning combination.. unfortunately things like racism are brought up everytime although that is probably not what Capcom is trying to portray but give us a new experience in a series that has been around for a long time. Personally I think they are just trying to make things more interesting. If theres a game to wonder about racism is GTA:SA where the main character can only be black, is a criminal and slaughters hundreds of NORMAL or Criminal people. Atleast these africans/brazilians are not really human anymore but mostly driven wild by a virus of some sort.

I don't think anyone's gone as far as to file a suit against Capcom... Certainly no one in this thread is suggesting they change the nature of the game.

No one has filed a lawsuit as of yet, but I predict that someone will in the upcoming weeks or after the game is released. As soon as something gets the brand of offense, people chase it down. Just look at everything that has happened to the GTA series. One of the lawsuits involved being racist against Haitians and that lawsuit was successful.

Guts[LCF]

† Kuroi Kenshi †
Honestly, I'm sure if this game's main hero was african american shooting in tons of caucasian people nothing would come of it, people would probably still think its racist against whites though. Therefore diversity in games is hard to do when it comes to killing. Although I agree having a cast of zombies/infected who are all black causes problems, but they already did the Spaniards (which I am part Spanish) and not once did I feel offended because its a game and it is not intended to go into that mind set. I mean past Resident Evils has been all about slaughtering caucasian zombies (woman and men too). I'm pretty sure statements like, why aren't there african american zombies? heros? The only african american I remember was Marvin Branagh, the police officer in RE2 which was fataly wounded and later turned into a zombie. Besides, Marvin was suppose to have an important role in RE2, aiding Leon and Ada but he was turned into a minor character. In Resident Evil Outbreak File:2 we see how he gets his fatal wound. I always thought he was a pretty cool minor character too. Besides a game is just a game, I mean it shouldn't be concieved racist unless the main hero (Chris) says racial slurs and comments. Alas, I'm sure this game will either be banned because of the lack of tolerance people have now, I mean this racist stuff came up so fast after a new trailer that.. I cant imagine what it will do once the game does come out. Anything touching cultures is too touchy these days. It's not intended to feel like a racist game, just something new and refreshing, unfortunately they had to go with africans/brazilians.

I dont really see any racial intent as they've been stating along time they wanted to make RE5 mirror real life events like Black Hawk Down. You're a single (maybe a small grup when we know more about the game) trapped in a mysterious foreign area filled with people who wanna do nothing but kill you in the most violent ways possible and dont mind doing it. So they're black! Yeah we've killed a lot of white people zombies and even some spaniards, and this is a Japanese game, they arent always sensative to the ideas of others (nothing new here). Its just the fact that this was brought up that I have to laugh because Im pretty sure the villian behind this game is going to be a mutant white guy (Wesker) etc. etc. etc.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith No More! said:
I think it’s a legitimate bitch in this country given our cultural history.

Yeah, I'll admit that given the USA's history it's probably going to be a much bigger deal than in Europe for example. I can understand how some people with baggage would frown upon it.

Abul-Abbas said:
Anyone think the Merchant from RE4 will return? ;)

I pray to God he does.

Guts[LCF] said:
(Chris hasn't been seen from RE1 and RE:make but its basically RE:1 if I'm not mistaken)

Chris was in Resident Evil: Code Veronica, so in the game just before RE4 basically.

Guts[LCF] said:
If theres a game to wonder about racism is GTA:SA where the main character can only be black, is a criminal and slaughters hundreds of NORMAL or Criminal people.

But in previous installments the main characters were white and equally bad. I don't think that argument is very good.

Guts[LCF] said:
Atleast these africans/brazilians are not really human anymore but mostly driven wild by a virus of some sort.

Brazilians? What Brazilians?

Guts[LCF] said:
Alas, I'm sure this game will either be banned because of the lack of tolerance people have now, I mean this racist stuff came up so fast after a new trailer that.. I cant imagine what it will do once the game does come out.

RE5 banned? That'd be ridiculous.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
Guts[LCF] said:
I'm pretty sure statements like, why aren't there african american zombies? heros? The only african american I remember was Marvin Branagh, the police officer in RE2 which was fataly wounded and later turned into a zombie. Besides, Marvin was suppose to have an important role in RE2, aiding Leon and Ada but he was turned into a minor character. In Resident Evil Outbreak File:2 we see how he gets his fatal wound. I always thought he was a pretty cool minor character too.

Don't forget Mark Wilkins from RE: Outbreak. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characters_in_Resident_Evil_Outbreak#Mark_Wilkins

Guts[LCF]

† Kuroi Kenshi †
Oh I know the previous GTA's were just as bad with a caucasian male. What I meant was, since this time the main character is black I heard a lot of comaplints saying, GTA is racist because they put a black male character who goes around shooting, robbing etc.. which are very ignorant statements considering the last installments had caucasian male characters doing the same thing. Probably didn't explain that too well. Just re-read what I wrote and I pretty much said the opposite of what I meant, happens, native language isn't english, sorry for any ambiguities.

Also about the brazilian, I heard rumors this might not take place in Africa, but in Brazil. Its just rumors but I havent seen or heard anything about it being in Africa for sure as of now. Obviously this doesn't fit with the demograph population though. So its safe to say it will take place in Africa or Haiti which isn't so far from Brazil. If its been stated somewhere that it was Africa I guess I missed that.

Yeah I was over exaggerating with the ban statement, just a way to express how silly things like these get sometimes.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Guts[LCF] said:
Also about the brazilian, I heard rumors this might not take place in Africa, but in Brazil. Its just rumors but I havent seen or heard anything about it being in Africa for sure as of now. Obviously this doesn't fit with the demograph population though. So its safe to say it will take place in Africa or Haiti which isn't so far from Brazil. If its been stated somewhere that it was Africa I guess I missed that.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was officially announced it'd take place in Africa over a year ago. Might have just been rumors, but I remember that people were pretty confident about it. In any case, the location in the trailer is clearly not Brazil as far as I can tell. Actually I don't see how it could not be somewhere in Africa. The town depicted in the trailer strongly resembles the impoverished regions of Africa that I've seen.

CnC said:
I think I'll interject in this philosophical debate by interjecting:

I'm not liking RE:4 controls.

I didn't like them at first either. I mean, they give you a ton of options (although the camera angle bothers me to this day, lmao) but I get confused on PacMan's controls so RE4 was horrid. Once I got the swing of it though, I loved it... Although I still have trouble with them if I'm getting zerged by a bunch of enemies... To this day, if I hear a group of people speaking Spanish, I hide and search for a weapon without thinking. :troll:

Forest Wraith

All this discussion about the motivations of Capcom got me thinking and I've got to note: They've actually showed incredible restraint in not setting RE: 5 in the Middle-East in an effort to appeal to American Gamers.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
CnC said:
I think I'll interject in this philosophical debate by interjecting:

I'm not liking RE:4 controls.

How far in are you?

Forest Wraith said:
All this discussion about the motivations of Capcom got me thinking and I've got to note: They've actually showed incredible restraint in not setting RE: 5 in the Middle-East in an effort to appeal to American Gamers.

That remains to be seen, maybe Chris is in North Africa and will make his way through Egypt? =) I wouldn't be surprised, "Cuz after them negros, I wants to kill me sum A-RABS next!"

And have you read the blurb for Resident Evil 6?

You're ex-German Special Forces Officer Kevin Adolf Rommel, a biologically engineered soldier whose dreams are still haunted by the cloning experiment of his past. You've been sent on a top secret mission to retrieve German gold and cultural artifacts mysteriously lost on a plane flying over Israel. But there's a problem, a plague covers this nation state of questionable legitimacy, and has turned the local residents into horrible sub-human creatures which infest the streets like rats! Will Rommel be able to breach the underground mole caves of the Illuminati Nest and snatch the gold from their slimy claws!? Will he put together the treasured lost artifacts and learn the truth of what really happened during the alleged Holocaust!? Will he survive and save his culture by finally destroying the evil Las Judais once and for all!? Don't worry about this superhuman soldier, he's got unfinished business, he's got the... final solution!

RESIDENT EVIL 6: FINAL SOLUTION

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I have played all RE games so far. I was not offended by the Spanish speaking zombies, I laughed my ass off. As for this new one, I"ll be waiting for the new modes,menus and controls they might have improved. I don't think a merchant might appear this time. I think you will get stuff from some abandoned guerrilla tent camp. If it's set in Africa, maybe you can see some wildlife and you can also get some eggs or if you kill a baby gazelle or impala, you get to eat it to regain energy. What if the predators, such as lions,leopards and hienas are infected and you get to have some fights with them? I would like that. :carcus:

Griffith No More! said:

Game of the Century material, I can feel it. :troll:

Th3Branded0ne said:

That would be really cool. The replacement for the Cerberus, perhaps? I'd like to see a little zombie Elephant action... I'd wet myself if they did that. :guts:

resident-evil-outbreak-file-2-20050328032535925.jpg

Best zombie monster ever?! :p

CnC

Ad Oculos
Griffith No More! said:
How far in are you?

1-3

Proj2501 said:
WHA?! You just need to get used to them sir.

I'm pretty used to the controls. Leon navigates his surroundings like a retarded child, even so.

Hey, thats its. RE:6 -killing retarded children.

Forest Wraith

Griffith No More! said:
How far in are you?

That remains to be seen, maybe Chris is in North Africa and will make his way through Egypt? =) I wouldn't be surprised, "Cuz after them negros, I wants to kill me sum A-RABS next!"

Hahaha! Just imagine the Merchant: "Oy-vey! I'll only bouy it at a discount!" "What are ya' buyin'? It'll cost ya' . . ."

Abul-Abbas said:
resident-evil-outbreak-file-2-20050328032535925.jpg

Best zombie monster ever?! :p

I'd expect something like that actually. Capcom has obviously never shied away from creating unusual Zombie-hybrid animals as bosses in the series. I'm liking the idea of the Mutant/Zombiefied Hyena's; Imagine a scene where you are outside at night . . . It's dead quite, then you hear something that sounds like the Guttural-Laughter of a Man who has gazed upon the face of Cthulhu. You hear it again, coming from another direction. You turn and see glowing eyes set at awkward configurations, attached to dark shapes flitting through the shadows just beyond your field of vision . . . Then one of them pounces on you from out of nowhere . . .

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
A scan from Famitsu showing the girl in the tank in more detail.

RE5_SherryTyrant.jpg

I guess it's interesting to see that she's wearing leather clothes in her bath... Maybe?

Anyway, from an interview with the lead dev, the game won't be out till at least late 2009, but more likely 2010. The enemies won't be traditional zombies nor ganados, but something else. Maybe a mix between both or yet another variation? The guy also said that additionally to the need for Chris to seek the shadows to avoid an insolation, when going from the shade to the sun and vice versa it'll take him a few seconds to get used to the light, so we'll have the contrast changing in real time to reveal hidden monsters or blinding him for a moment as he escapes from an infested shed, stuff like that. Lastly, he said the girl would be the focus of the next trailer, and talked about a new weapon/design element that'll play a big part in the gameplay and will be tied to her. I'm guessing that her or Chris might have some superpowers similar to Wesker's or Krauser's in RE4.

PS: Apparently lots of former Clover Studio staff is working on the game. In case some Ôkami fans read this. :guts:

I want the girl to be Alexia Ashford or some clone thereof. I want it to be her so badly although I already know it'll probably be somebody silly like Chris' sister or Rebbecca. Alexia would fit in with the superpowers thing though since she was able to completely control her transformation and retain her personality/intelligence/etc. Maybe pulling something off similar to Krauser where she can transform a part of her body as a weapon. I doubt it'd be her but a poor boy can always hope, LOL. A T-Veronica/Las Plagas hybrid would be awesome.

Man Aaz, you've got me so excited about RE5! :guts: I can't wait for the next trailer. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if the chick was Sherry Berkin. 10 years since the first game is plenty of time for her to grow up and, in this case, fill out.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Abul-Abbas said:
I want the girl to be Alexia Ashford or some clone thereof. I want it to be her so badly although I already know it'll probably be somebody silly like Chris' sister or Rebbecca.

Can't be Claire or Rebecca, they've both got brown hair and not blond. I don't think I'd like her to be Alexia though, I didn't find her all that good as a villain... In any case, I believe it'll probably be Sherry. She really fits the part the best.

Abul-Abbas said:
Man Aaz, you've got me so excited about RE5! :guts: I can't wait for the next trailer. :)

Hehe, glad to know that. I can't wait myself, and 2010 seems so far away... :judo:

Whhhhat the funk?! Late 2009-2010?! Proj doesn't like this lil tid bit of info at all. Aaz go forth and find this 'lead developer' make him suffer for this outrage!!

That IS a long wait. But in the big scheme o' things, we'll have plenty to keep us all busy until it's time to shoot black people...err,
zombies, err...gana- ah fuck it, whatever they are.

RE5_SherryTyrant.jpg

P.S. My money's on Sherry. All the way. Why would she be wearing clothing in a tank. She really may be nude in the actual game, when she's in the tube. Remember God of War (dif companies/platforms I know), perhaps Capcom will pull this off tastefully. Maybe she dons this outfit later and they just put the 'clothed' version in the trailer. I could see if just her shoulders were exposed, but you really get some full frontal action right hurr. Random thought...

Forest Wraith

Proj2501 said:
That IS a long wait. But in the big scheme o' things, we'll have plenty to keep us all busy until it's time to shoot black people...err,
zombies, err...gana- ah fuck it, whatever they are.

I wonder if you will be able to unlock HUNK as a hidden character? That might push the line . . .

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
2010? I've already lost interest.

And yeah, the chick in the tube could be anybody, like Claire Redfield after being infected with Alexia's DNA and fused with Sherry OMG!!! But knowing Capcom and their policy of maximum story ineptitude/fan dissatisfaction, it's probably a new, more random, more annoying character. =)

Are any of you guys going to check out The Umbrella Chronicles? They're going to introduce all new characters. Unfortunately it's Wii-only (well, that's probably a good thing I just don't feel like buying another system I'll only use once in a blue moon).

Top Bottom