Roger Ebert revisits "Games can never be art" argument

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
He reviews movies professionally, why do gamers want or need his approval for video games?
As has already been said hundreds of times now, some people want games to be widely accepted as art to validate their hobby on the same plane as movies.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
That's not entirely it, it's also that whole thing of someone with a loud voice ignorantly condemning something they don't actually know anything about, for reasons that don't make sense or stand up to the most basic scrutiny. That's galling to me on principle, and this mea culpa is about the best thing Ebert could have done to save face and redeem himself in that regard. That part of it's not even about the subject matter, but basic intellectual honesty.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
グリフィス said:
That's not entirely it, it's also that whole thing of someone with a loud voice ignorantly condemning something they don't actually know anything about, for reasons that don't make sense or stand up to the most basic scrutiny. That's galling to me on principle, and this mea culpa is about the best thing Ebert could have done to save face and redeem himself in that regard. That part of it's not even about the subject matter, but basic intellectual honesty.
I don't really see how that relates to VHB's question, which is "why do gamers need/want Ebert's approval?".

Griffith

Walter said:
I don't really see how that relates to VHB's question, which is "why do gamers need/want Ebert's approval?".

It relates as the flipside to that question, which in itself doesn't wholly encompass the situation. Quite simply, it doesn't necessarily mean you want someone's approval just because you don't like it when they shit on you for no good reason. Ebert hasn't come close to approving of games, but he finally addressed the matter with satisfactory honesty.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think those two groups (people that want his blessing, and those that hate him for shitting everywhere) are closely intertwined, whether they admit it or not.

If Ebert had suddenly flipped his original opinion and said games were an amazing new form of art, the industry would have rallied to his side, regardless of his lack of credibility. It would have been just as big an event as this troll exhibition of his, minus the number of comments, of course.

Griffith

Walter said:
I think those two groups (people that want his blessing, and those that hate him for shitting everywhere) are closely intertwined, whether they admit it or not.

That's why it relates. =)

Griffith

Turns out we owe Ebert an apology for assuming the worst in his choice of imagery, via twitter:

"I innocently used Clive Barker games as art on my blog. Now everyone says his games suck. What did I know? Give me a break."

:ganishka:

"Good gravy. I've been hit with 125,000 visits and 1,000 posts on video games redux. I've subbed Colossus for Clive Barker."

Top Bottom