Seven Samurai 3-Disc Edition

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
So, today is my birthday and my kickasstic wife got me the two disk set -- I can confirm that it absolutely rocks. Well worth buying, chaps! The quality is incredible in every sense..

I'm just so happy right now. :judo:
My girlfriend is getting it for me for our anniversary. Can't wait.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I finally got the Yojimbo/Sanjuro box in my greedy little paws, but I'm stuck at work. Maybe I'm due for a little work related mishap that will send me home for the evening. Or maybe I could watch it in the tv room when all the patients are asleep later. Either way, I am oozing ( :schierke:)  with anticipation of seeing Yojimbo for the first time.

Expect a poorly written, notoriously short review after I've seen it!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
I finally got the Yojimbo/Sanjuro box in my greedy little paws, but I'm stuck at work. Maybe I'm due for a little work related mishap that will send me home for the evening. Or maybe I could watch it in the tv room when all the patients are asleep later. Either way, I am oozing ( :schierke:) with anticipation of seeing Yojimbo for the first time.

Expect a poorly written, notoriously short review after I've seen it!
Toshiro Mifune is THE original on-screen badass in Yojimbo. I envy you for being able to view it for the first time. It's an awesome experience.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Just a little update to an oldish thread.

I have watched Ran, Rashamon, Kagemusha and Samurai Rebellion just now. Rashamon was probably my favourite of the bunch -- but that's mostly due to my Mifune bias. All of them were great.. I really enjoyed watching Kurosawa playing around with colour in Ran and Kagemusha. Next on my list is Red Beard and Throne of Blood -- I'm knocking them down, gentlemen.

Have Criterion given any other Japanese movies the "Yojimbo/Sanjuro/Seven Samurai" treatment yet? I'd love to keep on collecting them!

Uriel said:
Just a little update to an oldish thread.

I have watched Ran, Rashamon, Kagemusha and Samurai Rebellion just now. Rashamon was probably my favourite of the bunch -- but that's mostly due to my Mifune bias. All of them were great.. I really enjoyed watching Kurosawa playing around with colour in Ran and Kagemusha. Next on my list is Red Beard and Throne of Blood -- I'm knocking them down, gentlemen.

Have Criterion given any other Japanese movies the "Yojimbo/Sanjuro/Seven Samurai" treatment yet? I'd love to keep on collecting them!

Just for clarification: Samurai Rebllion is not a Kurosawa, if that's what you meant.

Red Beard remains my favorite Kurosawa. Everything about it is exquisitely executed and it's just a joy for me to watch, despite it's rather lengthy running time.

and there are plenty of japanese films Criterion has released. If you haven't already, definitely pick up their Ozus. Good Morning, one of the few films Ozu shot in color, is absolutely wonderful, as is Late Spring and the Floating Weeds double pack.
So, 'ere's a list:
Films from Japan

I also recommend Ugetsu.

EDIT: I just realized that you may have meant the box sets. They certainly have released a few other sets, and they should be listed in that link up there, but i'm not clear on which ones.
Don't forget Eclipse! They're barebones, but the quality of the image is the same Criterion goodness, and they're cheaper! =)

Top Bottom