Silent Hill: The Movie!

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Proj2501 said:
Saw it tonight.....Zzzzzz.....literally, my friend had to wake me up twice (no im ser). Can't wait to see what u guys think.
Wow, that's harsh. Maybe you just need some more sleep. I also saw it and I as pretty impressed. The art definately lives up to my expectations, the story is pretty well developed, and it definately follows the trend of the Silent Hill games. The acting in a few parts isquestionable, and some of the lines are a bit cheesy or misplaced, but all in all I'd say it was well worth seeing. By far the best video game to movie adapation ever made, which may not be saying much but it definately gives hope to fans.

For those who like supernatural horror like me, I'd say it's probably an 8 or perhaps even a 8.5 out of 10.

For everyone else, I'd say more like a 7/10.

I'm sure I'm gonna get beaten down by some other people, but I liked it.

I'll have to agree Rakshas and Vax here, I definitely liked movie. I just wasn't creeped out or disturbed as much as I thought I would be (I'm normally quite wussy when it comes to the genre of horror...) but the imagery certainly stays around in your head for a while.

Too long? Nah, the movie could've gone for another half-hour and it would've been fine with me. I never played the games (due to me being a wuss), so this was a nice entry for a non-horror fan like myself. I would definitely recommend this game to anyone.

Vaxillus

yota821 said:
I would definitely recommend this game to anyone.
Don't you mean movie?

It's true, it wasn't too scary, though some moments are thrilling to say the least. The camerawork is great, and some of the scenes are on par in atmosphere with Hero. I'm still running over the scenes in my head.

Ha...yes I did fall asleep twice...most likely because i was up very early that day and then had to wait until 11:00 pm for friends to watch it. I missed how the cop got caught....and the whole nurse scene, plus sumthin else. I was into it in the begining. In Silnet Hill's defense...and from what all my friends were saying, it seems like it stayed true to the series...but for me to agree 100% would be bullshit becuz i missed things here and there. The only thing that kinda bugged me while i was awake was some corny acting...i dont think anyone can argue that. My fav. "They use to say this town was haunted." "I wonder why." :carcus: And then when the mother (see how bad i am i forgot her name!) is confronting the old woman (I forgot her name too!) The lines she was sayin just came off some dumb, not what she was saying but how she was saying them. Maybe I'll attempt to watch again...if forced...

Yeah, the majority of this movie was completely GAAAAAY.
It's really not even questionable, it told me so.
The beginning was absolutely terrible. "HOME! HOME! TO SILENT HILL! SILENT HIIIIILL!!!" haha, whatever.
I think he rushed half the story there, and that was one thing that bothered me the most. In 5 mins, you're already in Silent Hill and you really don't care.
Unless you love the games.
I haven't played them, so maybe my opinion on this movie counts more. :guts:
I loved the STRONG lesbian overtones. You guys know what I'm saying! :carcus:
The acting was pretty bad throughout, which may not have been the actors' fault since there really wasn't a sentence of great writing in this movie.
Maybe that's a bit harsh, but I was hardly impressed (this guy co-wrote Pulp Fiction?? double you tee eff man??!)
I think I despise the cop and the girl, Sharon/The reaper/whatever the most. I didn't care for their faces or acting. Why was Cybil walking like that? Why were her pants so leathery tight?? Why couldn't Sharon have been a mute??
The reveal and the retribution towards the end was pretty dissatisfying. I don't know what I wanted, but that gore fest wasn't it.

I must say, however, that the creep factor worked really well. I absolutely loved the descent into darkness. He did good, but I have a feeling most of that comes from the game.
The art department was wonderful and, really, the only reason you would have to see this movie. Ever.
Does anyone know where the creators (and in turn, the art department on this movie) found their inspiration for the creatures? There's this awesome photographer, Joel Peter-Witkin, whose work seems extremely similar to these creations here. And on a side not - perhaps to raise your interest level a bit - his work directly inspired the "Closer" video for NIN. :carcus:

My final verdict?
Just play the games.

Slightly Green said:

Neither have I, so I guess my opinion counts just as much as yours. :guts:

Nope, no idea what you're talking about.  :puck:

The reveal and the retribution towards the end was pretty dissatisfying. I don't know what I wanted, but that gore fest wasn't it.

I'd have to agree with you on this one though, it wasn't terrifiying nor did it feel like there was any real justice done. 

Vaxillus

Slightly Green said:
Yeah, the majority of this movie was completely GAAAAAY.
It's really not even questionable, it told me so.
The beginning was absolutely terrible. "HOME! HOME! TO SILENT HILL! SILENT HIIIIILL!!!" haha, whatever.
It's true, the little girl can't really act a normal character. She did quite well as her evil counterpart though.

Slightly Green said:
Neither have I. :guts:

Slightly Green said:
No, not really. :carcus:

Slightly Green said:
The acting was pretty bad throughout, which may not have been the actors' fault since there really wasn't a sentence of great writing in this movie.
Maybe that's a bit harsh, but I was hardly impressed (this guy co-wrote Pulp Fiction?? double you tee eff man??!)
I don't think it's too harsh, at least for some scenes. Some of the writing/acting was pretty bad (it's a bit of both, I'd say). I guess I didn't notice it too much since I had just finished watching Alone in the Dark, which my roomate wasted 5 bucks on. Still, it was at least bearable, and most of the movie is screaming and cowering in fear, which the actors do well enough.

Slightly Green said:
It's true, this was pretty crappy, but I can't think up anything better. It kinda seemed to me like the director was trying to make a point about religious fanaticism. A little too cliche though. I'm at least happy that they were ballsy enough to include religious fanatics in the first place. Doom utterly failed at this.

I think that critique is still a bit harsh. If you're distracted by the policewoman's tight pants, then something is wrong. Some of the acting and occasionally poor script are the only real problems. It's really not that prevalent though. I think you're letting a few bad scenes ruin the movie.

Coming from someone who's been a major fan of the series for a long time, here are my thoughts. Although it's still flawed in too many ways to make it a truly good film, it's still probably the best videogame to movie adaptation I've seen. I bet those who haven't played the games wouldn't enjoy the movie as much, but for me, all the references, music, and beautiful visuals made it well worth to see. The violence wasn't realistic at all, but still pleasing nonetheless. Besides the many oviouse problems with the writing/acting, the one thing I thought it really needed was more use of weapons by the main character. In the games, especially the first two, you spend a lot of time fighting the monsters you face. Rose barely fights anything, although the way she gets past the monsters can be very cool (nurse cluster scene), I think it could have used a little more battling.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
dwarfkicker said:
You call a guy carving crosses into his body for taking God's name in vain a failure. I think it got the point across nicely. No sane person would do that.

No, I think he was talking about the general theme of Doom. If you have played the games then you know they center around portals to hell being opened and hellish creatures flowing in through the gate and onto Mars. Doom the movie had some cheep gimmick of the over-used "virus is mutating people into monsters" theme, and didn't follow at all the general idea of the games. Maybe they just wanted to avoid all that religion controversy that the media stirs up, but it was an utter failure in relation to the games.

Vaxillus

IsolatioN said:
No, I think he was talking about the general theme of Doom. If you have played the games then you know they center around portals to hell being opened and hellish creatures flowing in through the gate and onto Mars. Doom the movie had some cheep gimmick of the over-used "virus is mutating people into monsters" theme, and didn't follow at all the general idea of the games. Maybe they just wanted to avoid all that religion controversy that the media stirs up, but it was an utter failure in relation to the games.
Pretty much that's what I meant. It really came off as just a way to try not to drive off any religious folks who might be offended. Of course, the game's reputation probably already drove them all off. Silent Hill's message wasn't exactly deep, but at least it was an attempt to say something about a controvertial issue.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Just got back from seeing the movie, and I have to say that I enjoyed it quite a bit. I've only played a little bit of the first game, but that didn't really detract from the experience. The atmosphere was really fantastic and I loved the various creatures. Basically, the movie has made me want to play the games pretty badly. All in all I thought it was worth the price to get in.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Slightly Green said:
The beginning was absolutely terrible. "HOME! HOME! TO SILENT HILL! SILENT HIIIIILL!!!" haha, whatever.:
Agreed, I wish they would have began the movie with a better sequence. Although I did enjoy the low cut shirt and shorts! :carcus:
Slightly Green said:
I think he rushed half the story there, and that was one thing that bothered me the most. In 5 mins, you're already in Silent Hill and you really don't care.
Unless you love the games.:
Totally agree. I was complaining in my previous post about how the movie was too long. I take that back, they should have cut 10 minutes off the end and added more story to the beginning.
Slightly Green said:
I haven't played them, so maybe my opinion on this movie counts more. :guts:.:
I think it does. While Silent Hill fanatics (people like me) were cosplaying(I seen pics. Yeah, they're scary :schierke:) and getting every single little game reference a whole bunch of mainstream moviegoers ended up with a bad impression of the movie. I think I would have hated this movie too if I wasn't such a big fan of the games.
Slightly Green said:
date=1145724832]
I thought I was the only one who noticed! I'm serious!  :carcus:
Slightly Green said:
The acting was pretty bad throughout, which may not have been the actors' fault since there really wasn't a sentence of great writing in this movie.:
I agree. It was so cheesy that the audience was constantly snickering, and that irritated me.
Slightly Green said:
I think I despise the cop and the girl, Sharon/The reaper/whatever the most. I didn't care for their faces or acting. Why was Cybil walking like that? Why were her pants so leathery tight?? Why couldn't Sharon have been a mute??:
Lol!Those were my two favorites! I think the girl who played Sharon did a good job with her Reaper lines. But as for that "meow" crap and her little opening tangent, I wanted to puke! As for Cybil, I loved her. She at least provided a minuscule amount of comic relief. "What the fuck just happened?" Plus, she beat the crap out of some crazy religious hobo jerks with a nightstick. As for the pants, thats how they looked in the game.
Slightly Green said:
The reveal and the retribution towards the end was pretty dissatisfying.:
I kind of liked it. Reminded me of Heather from Silent Hill 3. Minus the fetus, of course.
Slightly Green said:
I must say, however, that the creep factor worked really well. I absolutely loved the descent into darkness. He did good, but I have a feeling most of that comes from the game.:
Almost ALL of it came from the game. But the on screen adaptation was awesome. The switch from normal/evil Silent Hill was amazing. This is one of the things Gans did his homework on. Everything from the dimming sky to the air raid sirens was in there.
Slightly Green said:
The art department was wonderful.
It sure was! The creatures in the movie looked absolutely fantastic. And I will admit, I stood up and clapped at PH's first appearance.(The theater crowd wanted me dead) Also, Akira Yamaoka's music kept me on the edge of my seat wondering which game selection they'd play next. But one thing that pissed me off was Yamaoka did not provide one piece of original music forthis movie. I felt that they gave a minimal effort by stealing the songs right from the games yet did not produce any new ones.
Slightly Green said:
  And on a side not - perhaps to raise your interest level a bit - his work directly inspired the "Closer" video for NIN. :carcus:
Since NIN is one of my favorite bands I find that information awesome. Thank you for sharing that. :guts:
Slightly Green said:
My final verdict?
Just play the games.
That sounds okay. But how about this?
Rakshas's final verdict?
Play the games. Then, if you did not enjoy this film, give it a second chance.

I saw the movie today and I must say, I freaking LOVED it.

Yes some acting was a bit sub par and some lines were....well cheesy, however the sheer atmosphere and creep factor completely overwhelmed those imo.

Though it wasn't a straight game> movie adaptation in a strict sense, I thought overall it was by far the best game to movie adaptation and defiently a movie I'll be buying when it comes out on dvd.

That one scene with Pryamid head on the church steps was just :isidro:.

Meathook

The World Eaters are here to save us!
I just saw that Silent Hill movie on Saturday. Went in around noon so i wouldn't have to sit with a bunch of stupid people. I didn't mind the movie but I would have liked if they had more of the order, and left the main story still tied to the cult.

Also I'm kinda hazy at then end when she goes home and takes a seat across from where he husband is sleeping. I figure she died with she got stabbed and she's forever going to be in silent hill. I'm not really sure what to make of the ending.

Me and my roomie had a good laugh when we got home. This is what happens with you are bored, and have a spare dragonslayer laying around.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/Meathook2/greenhamperthing.jpg

Vaxillus

Meathook said:
Also I'm kinda hazy at then end when she goes home and takes a seat across from where he husband is sleeping.  I figure she died with she got stabbed and she's forever going to be in silent hill.  I'm not really sure what to make of the ending.
That's one of the best parts of the movie. It wouldn't be Silent Hill if it didn't have an ending like that. She's not dead BTW, just stuck in that dimension. If she was dead, though wound wouldn't have healed.

Meathook said:
Me and my roomie had a good laugh when we got home.  This is what happens with you are bored, and have a spare dragonslayer laying around.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/Meathook2/greenhamperthing.jpg
That's awesomely rediculous.

Meathook

The World Eaters are here to save us!
Yeah i could see her being stuck there. And thanks, I do what I can to do nothing at all. Me and my friend are gonna try to do some more game rip offs. I wanted to get an apron with "kiss the cook" on it and a blow up doll or 2 lower half's of a managing. I think that would have been a huge riot.

Our next project : Monster Hunter!. My 98' Accord will be playing the part of the Rathlos!

I saw it last night and I enjoyed the hell outta it. Talk about a creepy movie. The girl getting flayed on the steps by pyramid head was easily the coolest part for me.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
dwarfkicker said:
I saw it last night and I enjoyed the hell outta it. Talk about a creepy movie. The girl getting flayed on the steps by pyramid head was easily the coolest part for me.

Thanks a ton for spoiling it for me... :judo:

I'll be seeing it tonight. Sounds good, and after what a dissapointment Hostel was (awesome effects, horrible acting and script...) I've been yearning for a good old horror movie.

Thanks a ton for spoiling it for me... Poor Jodo...

Nah, now you have something to look forward to. I knew about that scene going in and was still in awe when I saw it. Seriously, what I said doesn't do that scene justice.

Vaxillus

That reminds me, one of the things that bugged me about this movie is the way all the people in Silent Hill do the 'rock out' aka devil horns when they point.

Top Bottom